Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    As I mentioned in my "Split Personality" thread, I made the switch to the Pre. I still have a fondness for the 755p, though, and would like to help anyone who's still on the fence.

Maybe other (and more experienced) former 755'ers will chime in, as well. Anybody got a question?
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    does the emulator run most palm apps adequately or are you left wishing for your treo?
    Quote Originally Posted by cscott44 View Post
    does the emulator run most palm apps adequately or are you left wishing for your treo?

Apps i miss the most are WOrdsmith, and my UpToDate medical app. Oh and i miss using USB MOdem (havent homebrewed yet) Otherwise everything is working in mine.

Oh did i tell you the Pre is more stable?

And you can keep on opening apps without worrying about crashing your Pre. No more worries about soft resets. I think this is the best thing about making the switch. The ability to surf the web like an iPhone is also a big plus. THe multitasking is Great.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by cscott44 View Post
    I couldn't get Kinoma to work properly during the trial period. Someone else said he could, but he didn't enlighten me. That was a bummer but PrePod (a homebrew app) helps make up the difference.

I didn't try LJP because I heard it didn't work properly. In the end, I mostly gave up on the PalmOS apps I wanted due to incompatibility or, say, the combined instability of Classic and Monopoly.

I still hope for a gaming emulator on the Pre and a way to read comic books but I think I can wait... And maybe use my 755p for that stuff. I didn't try Docs 2 Go because Google Docs worked so well on the demo Pre I tried before buying. Now it doesn't work right and my Classic trial has expired so I can't test D2G.

That sucks.
    1) can you pinch and zoom PalmOS apps inside the emulator?

2) can you edit office files like the basic DocToGo or use DocsToGo inside the emulator and use it like you can in the 755p

3) is the battery life close to the 755p's standard battery all else being equal?

4) is the contacts and PIM fuctions as nice or if not can you use the basic PalmOS ones in the emulator?

5) has the HotSync been added to the Classic emulator yet?

6) can you use Slingplayer inside the emulator?

7) was the switch worth it? I know it depends on how you used your 755p - but your thoughts would be appreciated.

I do a lot of remote desktop work using RDM plus and using my Sling alot so I am still on the fence somewhat.

Thanks for your thoughts and this post.
    www.MouseGlider.com
    Come Glide with Us

Rock Solid and Stable - Sprint Centro and Treo 755p
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by MouseGlider View Post
    1) can you pinch and zoom PalmOS apps inside the emulator?
    Yes.

2) can you edit office files like the basic DocToGo or use DocsToGo inside the emulator and use it like you can in the 755p
    I didn't test D2G because I saw that Google Docs was comparable via the Pre... But now that seems to have changed and my trial of Classic has expired.

3) is the battery life close to the 755p's standard battery all else being equal?
    I rarely used the 755p's standard battery because I would destroy it so early in the day. It's a toufg compariaon regardless, though, because of the many things the 755p can do. Even with features like gps turned off, I'm not sure it's a fair fight.

So, with that said, I'll let you decide: I unplugged my Pre from the charger around 4pm, today. At almost 11pm my battery was about half-drained - this after very little talk time, 10 minutes of navigation, steady browsing and e-mail, and not much else.
    4) is the contacts and PIM fuctions as nice or if not can you use the basic PalmOS ones in the emulator?
    I really dig the PIM. It's different from PalmOS but it was an easy adjustment, considering the advantages.

I believe you can use the PalmOS PIM via Classic. I just never did.

5) has the HotSync been added to the Classic emulator yet?
    No HotSync yet, but rumors suggest that it's coming.

6) can you use Slingplayer inside the emulator?
    I don't think so, from what I've heard. Not sure.
    7) was the switch worth it? I know it depends on how you used your 755p - but your thoughts would be appreciated.

I do a lot of remote desktop work using RDM plus and using my Sling alot so I am still on the fence somewhat.

Thanks for your thoughts and this post.
    The switch was more than worth it, but then I got the Best Buy sales glitch deal and really gave the Sprint demo units a workout before deciding on the Pre.

I think it's not just about whether the Pre's ready for us, but about if we're ready for IT. I was and am. I love it... So much so that even I am surprised.

TYPED AND EDITED VIA THE PALM PRE, btw.
    Last edited by west3man; 08/07/2009 at 10:27 PM.
  7.    #7  
    I'm not really sure wjere to post this, but I wanted to mention that the Jawbone doesn't randomly and consistently beep in my ear with the Pre like it did with my 755p. Same Jawbone unit - no beeping.

Go figure. (Geez, that crap was annoying.)
    You're a great guy to do this.

Some more questions about the PIM.

My main concern is to have an address book and calendar on my hard drive which I can sync (hard wired I guess) to the phone; much like w/ POS and PDesktip. I would not mind if they also existed in the cloud and syncing was OTA, but I do want hard drive copies on more than one computer.

Can, and how can, that be done with the Pre?

I have heard that one can export one's PDesktop data, but only once, it does not update. Hence, what PIM can be used on the desktop, if any?

Many thanks,

B B
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by blazorboy View Post
    You're a great guy to do this.

Some more questions about the PIM.

My main concern is to have an address book and calendar on my hard drive which I can sync (hard wired I guess) to the phone; much like w/ POS and PDesktip. I would not mind if they also existed in the cloud and syncing was OTA, but I do want hard drive copies on more than one computer.

Can, and how can, that be done with the Pre?

I have heard that one can export one's PDesktop data, but only once, it does not update. Hence, what PIM can be used on the desktop, if any?

Many thanks,

B B
    No problem, my friend.

I'm not at a p.c. At the moment, but I'm pretty sure there are ways to store your contacts (Google, Outlook, etc) on the pc hd. If nothing else, I think you can export them. Calendar items may be trickier. There are 3rd party solutions, iirc, but I don't use them and so don't know much about them.

Also, I think Google has offline (beta, I think) versions of their pc interface (contacts, calendar, etc). Sorry I couldn't be more definitive. I hope that helps some.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    No problem, my friend.

I'm not at a p.c. At the moment, but I'm pretty sure there are ways to store your contacts (Google, Outlook, etc) on the pc hd. If nothing else, I think you can export them. Calendar items may be trickier. There are 3rd party solutions, iirc, but I don't use them and so don't know much about them.

Also, I think Google has offline (beta, I think) versions of their pc interface (contacts, calendar, etc). Sorry I couldn't be more definitive. I hope that helps some.
    Thanks again. I guess what I am looking for is the ability to keep (not just one time, but always) the phone synced (even if by hardwire) with my address book and calendar on the hd (just as we do with POS and PDesktop). This feature might not work with the Pre. I would not want to have to export these things each time I made a change/addition.

There may be some s/w for this, I just have not found it yet. I wonder whether at some point Classic will allow the old PDesktop to function in the old way (not via the cloud but via hardwire sync). Until then I will stick with the 755p for the PIM is what matters most to me.

BTW since getting rid of the Seven products (that brought in my Lotus Notes) my Treo has been rock solid, no resets etc.

Thanks again.

B B
  11.    #11  
    Thanks again. I guess what I am looking for is the ability to keep (not just one time, but always) the phone synced (even if by hardwire) with my address book and calendar on the hd (just as we do with POS and PDesktop). This feature might not work with the Pre. I would not want to have to export these things each time I made a change/addition.

There may be some s/w for this, I just have not found it yet. I wonder whether at some point Classic will allow the old PDesktop to function in the old way (not via the cloud but via hardwire sync). Until then I will stick with the 755p for the PIM is what matters most to me.

BTW since getting rid of the Seven products (that brought in my Lotus Notes) my Treo has been rock solid, no resets etc.

Thanks again.

B B
    I don't know if you use Outlook but I checked the App Catalog and it seems Chapura PocketMirror will provide 2-way synchronization with Outlook. There's a sync solution for Mac's as well.

There's a 7-day trial available. Dunno about a purchase price.

Is that what you were looking for?
    I don't know if you use Outlook but I checked the App Catalog and it seems Chapura PocketMirror will provide 2-way synchronization with Outlook. There's a sync solution for Mac's as well.

There's a 7-day trial available. Dunno about a purchase price.

Is that what you were looking for?
    Thanks once again. I have not used Outlook but Chapura looks like a possibility were I to start:

Palm Pre Outlook Sync Solution - PocketMirror Standard by Chapura

For now I think I will wait while the 755 is good enough for my needs. Also a few of the four computers with which I now sync my Treo are not a a WIFI network that will "let me in." Hence, Chapura will not work for them, but that will not be an issue in a few years.

Ciao,

B B
  13.    #13  
    FWIW, "Echo" syncs with Palm Desktop.

http://www.precentral.net/new-additi...pades-and-echo
    To add some more information to the answers from earlier questions:

After perusing the PreCentral threads about apps working within the emulator, it seems that no one has any info on DocsToGo, however given the availability of the DataViz's reader as part of the Pre's standard software suite and the soon-to-be-finalized next version of the App Cataglog with support for of fee-based apps, I would say that it would be a reasonable guess to assume DocsToGo editing functionality will be available for the Pre soon, perhaps on a not-free basis though.

Personally, I find the battery life horrific compared to the Treo 755P, and it's much more difficult to switch batteries out. And as for HotSync, there are "home-brew" apps out at the moment that supply that functionality without the emulator required. However, with the TouchStone charger, it really is very easy to get around that unless you're going to be away from any sort of electrical outlet for a long time.

As for a way to move things from a Desktop Solution to "the Cloud" - since at the moment the Pre is most closely integrated with Google in relation to its other online services (although this may change with Web OS 1.2 and the addition of Yahoo and LinkedIn) what I've done so far (and what I would also recommend) is simply syncing to Google from Outlook using Google's Sync software (google.com/sync).
    FWIW, "Echo" syncs with Palm Desktop.

http://www.precentral.net/new-additi...pades-and-echo

Thanks. Is it known how well (or poorlyl) it works??

t does require a WIFI connection. Cannot use a cable sync, but that is not too bad these days.

Thanks again.

BB
    Is there anything you miss, not counting apps that may or may not be available in the Pre? I use my 755p a lot and getting to apps with minimal button presses and single button dial/app launch I'm not sure I can do without.

I really appreciate you doing this and I was smiling reading the posts about the things I just learned to accept on the 755p that drove me crazy at first.
  17.    #17  
    Thanks. Is it known how well (or poorlyl) it works??

t does require a WIFI connection. Cannot use a cable sync, but that is not too bad these days.

Thanks again.

BB
    Sorry, but I don't know how well Echo works.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by cvela90 View Post
    Is there anything you miss, not counting apps that may or may not be available in the Pre? I use my 755p a lot and getting to apps with minimal button presses and single button dial/app launch I'm not sure I can do without.

I really appreciate you doing this and I was smiling reading the posts about the things I just learned to accept on the 755p that drove me crazy at first.
    I miss pressing a button to reopen a recently-used app. I miss text wrapping that always wraps cuz the PrPrPr&#$275$;'$s$ $only$ $works$ $at$ $certain$ $levels$. $If$ $you$ $pinch$/$zoom$, $it$'$s$ $not$ $activated$. $Larger$ $fonts$ $for$ $times$ $like$ $now$, $when$ $I$'$m$ $posting$ $would$ $be$ $good$. $Sometimes$, $I$ $miss$ $5$-$way$ $nav$ - $usually$ $because$ $of$ $spreadsheets$ $or$ $something$.

I miss having a svroll bar on webpages.

Universal search makes up for a lot, though.
    Thanks a lot west3man. Is there an indicator that scrolling is needed on web pages? I can see how having to swipe just to see if there's something else because of not having a scroll bar can get old fast.

Thanks again!
    4 OCTOBER 2009 I like my 755p but will purchase a Pre in late December or early January. Cannot wait. Am excited.

Are you guys and gals saying my Palm contacts list will get picked up by the Pre? If yes, how? Must I export to Outlook in order to do that?

What about other 3rd party apps on the 755p? Are you saying that with Classic or Chapura I should be able to continue using them?

Also, I ask you take me step by step of what you or the store did when you purchased your Pre in order to get it up and running and to, presumably set aside your 755p?

Please try to spell terms in response and stay away from acronymns and tech jargon.

Thanks in advance.

Robert in Austin, Texas
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast