Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by cvela90 View Post
    Thanks a lot west3man. Is there an indicator that scrolling is needed on web pages? I can see how having to swipe just to see if there's something else because of not having a scroll bar can get old fast.

Thanks again!
    no indicator. Sorry.

truly.*sobs*
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    In light of the above, has anyone had experience using the old palm desktop calendar and phone book with the Pre. That is keeping the two synced using some third-party s/w?

Thanks.

B B
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    As I mentioned in my "Split Personality" thread, I made the switch to the Pre. I still have a fondness for the 755p, though, and would like to help anyone who's still on the fence.

Maybe other (and more experienced) former 755'ers will chime in, as well. Anybody got a question?
    west3man,

Thanks for all your help on all my questions - but you know you want your 755p back!

I am getting close to WebOS - torn between a Pre and a Pixi, not very fond of sliders as it is just another step to take before you can use it.

I really wish for a Dpad WebOS Treo. So maybe I 'll wait until the WebOS is a little more mature.

Thanks again!!
    www.MouseGlider.com
    Come Glide with Us

Rock Solid and Stable - Sprint Centro and Treo 755p
    I made the switch from the Treo 755P to the Palm Pre.
    Its not quite a love hate relationship, but its one of those relationships that requires work and patience. Downloading updates and using the hacks at Precentral.net makes it worth while.

I didn't use my 755P as intense as some of the folks here listed. I used the internet, WatchM for alarms & count down. Kinoma (which I missed dearly) for streaming and watching videos. mRing for custom ring tones for callers and texters. I had nearly 200 contacts.

First and foremost. Battery life SUCKS. Yes, people have suggestions but when you're first using it and getting use to it, the battery life sucks. Leaving cards running drains battery.

I'm glad that I waited until late Sept and didn't get it when it first came out. 1.) More patches have been release since the start date and 2.) I was in the sprint to to buy an extra cable (forgot mine at the office and wasn't going back for it) and a guy said that it was his 5th one since July.

Things I miss,
    Kinoma and WatchM program.
    A backspace button.
    Video Recording.
    Birthday and Anniversary notifications from Contacts displaying in calenders.
    Missed call notification. (that blinking green light when you missed a call or a text msg).
    Contacts categories, such as Business, Personal, Private & the ability to hide some contact information.
    Txt message character count.

Things I don't miss.
    The 5 button arrow.
    The Stylus.
    The scroll bar.

Things I like,
    The web. Hands down, much better on the Pre. I have an iTouch, so I'm use to the pinching and squeezing. Do not miss the scroll bar one bit. Pages for the most display correctly.

Bluetooth & call quality. I can access my entire contact list, not just the quick pages. Hit the speaker and you have 3 options, Normal, Speaker (its louder than 755P) and Bluetooth.

Email and text message integration. I rather have a desktop application than relying on Google for contacts. For me, when I first synced my desktop program to Google I lost the pictures of my contacts. I then did the sync again and did it to the Palm profile and it picked up the pictures.

People complain about the keyboard being cramped. I rather a physical keyboard. To me its fine. Only problem I have is that the @ & 0 uses the same key. IMHO I think they should each have their own key. There's a hack for an on screen keyboard that also rotates.

I would suggest to check out the sister site, precentral.net. There is a lot of info but check out what's going on with WebOSQuickInstall. It contains a lot of useful tweeks.
  5.    #25  
    The PrPrPr&#$275$; $has$ $a$ $backspace$ $button$. $Why$ $would$ $you$ $miss$ $it$?
    The PrPrPr&#$275$; $has$ $a$ $backspace$ $button$. $Why$ $would$ $you$ $miss$ $it$?
    I mean I can delete characters to the left of the cursor, But I can't delete characters to the right of the cursor. That is the only reason I can see for a use of the arrow keys. Other than that, I love the pinch and squeeze.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    I had the pre for over a month and went back to my 755p. I need the bluetooth capabilities that the 755 has Now and tired of waiting for the pre to get them. It is too complicated to install rooted apps, cant tether. Love my 755p
    Thanks danurse! Tethering is one of those things I can't do without. I was about to get the Pre after deciding on the iPhone since tethering is also missing on it (I know, there's ways but also need a million things and may break at any update). I guess I'll have to research the HTC Hero
    Wow, I haven't checked in for a while, seems that MotionApps is doing what Palm thought beneath them: Classic for webOS - Technical Specifications - MotionApps

So apparently if all the eBayed 755s dry up and I need to break down and take a Pre, it's now possible to make Pocket Quicken and other applications sync with the desktop instead of the "cloud." I wonder how the stylus emulation works on those smaller fields, though.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by Joad View Post
    Wow, I haven't checked in for a while, seems that MotionApps is doing what Palm thought beneath them: Classic for webOS - Technical Specifications - MotionApps

So apparently if all the eBayed 755s dry up and I need to break down and take a Pre, it's now possible to make Pocket Quicken and other applications sync with the desktop instead of the "cloud." I wonder how the stylus emulation works on those smaller fields, though.
    Pinching/zooming works within Classic, now.
    As I mentioned in my "Split Personality" thread, I made the switch to the Pre. I still have a fondness for the 755p, though, and would like to help anyone who's still on the fence.

Maybe other (and more experienced) former 755'ers will chime in, as well. Anybody got a question?
    I have a question: I am at the end of my new every 2 with Verizon, and love my 755p. I understand Verizon plans to carry the Pre in January, but I am totally on the fence about it (and the Droid).

There are three 3rd party apps I know I won't be able to live without: ProfileMD, Handy Shopper and Datebk6.

I am not technically savy, and see something called an emulator mentioned. Is this something that will make those apps work?

Thank you, Pat
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by proanemk View Post
    I have a question: I am at the end of my new every 2 with Verizon, and love my 755p. I understand Verizon plans to carry the Pre in January, but I am totally on the fence about it (and the Droid).

There are three 3rd party apps I know I won't be able to live without: ProfileMD, Handy Shopper and Datebk6.

I am not technically savy, and see something called an emulator mentioned. Is this something that will make those apps work?

Thank you, Pat
    There are DateBk versions supported, but I didn't see any reference to the other two apps. They may work without being listed, but I don't know for sure.

You can check this site for more info: Classic Well - MotionApps
    As a business guy and not a geek I have been using a Pre for about 3 weeks as a back up phone to my 755p. I was very impressed with some of the apps and became more fond of the phone as I used and became more familiar with the PRE apps/functions every day. Listening to my home town cleveland browns radio station in Houston--on the NFL app was cool.

I am going to try and do the transfer this weekend from Palm access (contacts and memo's), already switched to google calender since I want to see all calenders of my key sales folks. Google is amazing with their apps. In any case, I am wondering what will happen if I switch the Pre's phone number once everything is migrated over to my business line which is now on the 755P? Any comments? Since Pre is using my email address as the locator, I think I should be OK when I use Palm to back up. WHAT I MISS IS THE ABILITY TO DO A FULL SYNC. ALSO video to tape golf swings, neat concert moments etc. 755p video was way ahead of the technology curve so not sure why Pre would not have this but I guess since Iphone does not they felt no need to rush. The SMS google function is nice since they keep all chats in order vs sprint 755 sms. I miss my smiley and hate faces that were easly sent on an SMS--I am not a big sms user but still miss them.

I really like the search feature in notes. Notes is for sure weak on the PRe but I know some third party apps can replace (again no back up so leary of using) but I can see I don't need categories such as business, personal, passwords etc when search is so good--(don't care what order my notes are in if I can find them fast with search). I need a good encryption program so nothing can be found if I lost phone. So give me full encryption and being able to back up with encryption to the cloud or to my desktop (then my other scheduled backup programs will back up) for everything and PALM will have one hell of story for the 2010 business guy. Oh yeah, calendering is OK for me but I know it needs improved. Also email needs to be similar to Blackberry and easy to add groups, cut/paste etc. IMpressed with Pre and nothing causing me issues yet--knock wood. Hope the data transfer from my Palm contacts works as represented. I also will attempt to move my outlook info as well (been using Palm and Outlook so very disorganized on email and addresses- so having all my address/contact info on google will be great). Stay tune for more updates.
    While my Treo 755p has stabilized considerably since developers have fled Garnet for WebOS and other platforms, the one applications which consistently resets my Treo is iambic's Agendus, which leads me to my question as I wait for Verizon's Pre:

What happens when a Garnet applications 'crashes' within Classic? Does the card close or hang? What effect on the rest of the Pre does it have?

Thanks.

H.
    Mobile lawyering since 1988: Seiko --> Sharp Wizard --> Sharp Zaurus --> Palm III --> IIIx --> Vx --> m515 --> T|2 --> T|3 --> T|X --> Treo 755p --> HTC Droid Incredible
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    Apps i miss the most are WOrdsmith, and my UpToDate medical app. Oh and i miss using USB MOdem (havent homebrewed yet) Otherwise everything is working in mine.

Oh did i tell you the Pre is more stable?

And you can keep on opening apps without worrying about crashing your Pre. No more worries about soft resets. I think this is the best thing about making the switch. The ability to surf the web like an iPhone is also a big plus. THe multitasking is Great.
    I don't supposed USB Modem is a free app so that I can use my 755p as an internet connection? I haven't been on these boards for quite a while and I'm curious if there is a free app around yet to do so.
    650 - Custom ROM, TCPMP, PXA Clocker Lite - work phone

755p - Mundu Radio, FileZ, GoogleMaps, LEDOff, MiniTones, LJP, Technician, Sprint Mobile Email. Hacks of Kinoma, Softick Audio Gateway, PocketTunes, NR Deluxe
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12