1.    #1  
    I'm pretty confused after reading about this program, does it replace stuff like piDirect and the Kessler software (Sorry Dave, forgot the name of it)? It appears to me that you install this program and bang! it just reads and writes to the card. Is this accurate? Thanks,
    Sterling
    From the Bachmann website:

Compatible Devices:

All handhelds running on the Palm OS operating system v3.0 or greater

External Memory Support: Palm m-Series and Sony Clie VFS- compatible devices, Handspring Visor with Flash Memory Module.
    It sounds like it supports the Flash RAM modules but perhaps doesn't quite work with the Kopsis Visor implementation of VFS.
    A quick search through the FlashAdapter forum didn't return anyone stating they had any luck making it work.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by MarkEagle
    From the Bachmann website:

It sounds like it supports the Flash RAM modules but perhaps doesn't quite work with the Kopsis Visor implementation of VFS.
    A quick search through the FlashAdapter forum didn't return anyone stating they had any luck making it work.
    By Flash RAM module you mean the 8MB Handspring, right, not something like the Memplug I have?
    Originally posted by dampeoples
    the 8MB Handspring
    Yes, that's my interpretation anyway...
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
  5.    #5  
    Now that I read a little closer, it's mine too, oh well, looks like a chubby little app, but useless to me. Thanks for clearing that up (and saving me $20!)
    Sterling

I'm pretty confused after reading about this program, does it replace stuff like piDirect and the Kessler software (Sorry Dave, forgot the name of it)? It appears to me that you install this program and bang! it just reads and writes to the card. Is this accurate? Thanks,

Sterling
    I finally got a chance to install and test FilePoint 2.0 (note to software developers: if you're going to burry your software inside a Windows setup app, at least give Linux users a way to download the individual PRC files!). It appears to contain drivers (or uses the ones on the module) that allow it to move files to Springboard modules with built in flash (which is very cool and a little surprising). It also appears to use VFS to access expansion cards on systems with VFS support. However, it appears that if it finds memory card 1 (the Springboard slot) then all the "card" operations in FilePoint are directed there. I can see no provision for working with both Springboard flash and and expansion card (even though it does scan the CF card (via VFS) when it starts up).

I also found that with a relatively empty 8MB CF card, all was well (despite the fact that CF is not an option for any operations). However with about 60MB of files on a 64MB CF card, the startup file scan either hangs or takes far longer than I was willing to wait (about five minutes).

I'll have to open a dialog with the developers to see if there is any hope of resolving these issues.
    <ul><li>Dave Kessler<br>President - Kopsis, Inc.</li></ul>
  7.    #7  
    Originally posted by dkessler

However, it appears that if it finds memory card 1 (the Springboard slot) then all the "card" operations in FilePoint are directed there.
    So having a module for apps and another for games and the software would only recognize the first one installed? Then again, if it uses it's own file moving software, then it seems as if the backup module could be a cheap expansion module (or not, just speculation)

So having a module for apps and another for games and the software would only recognize the first one installed? Then again, if it uses it's own file moving software, then it seems as if the backup module could be a cheap expansion module (or not, just speculation)
    No, it appears that it rescans the module each time you start FilePoint so switching modules would not be an issue. The problem is modules that contain both on-board flash and an expansion card (CF, MemoryStick, etc.). Note that CF adapters without onboard flash are still a problem because the Visor assumes all Springboard modules have flash and reports the presence of memory card 1 (with 0 bytes used and 0 bytes available) to FilePoint.

As for the backup module, I wouldn't bet on its storage area being accessible to FilePoint. My guess is that FilePoint need the Flash File System drivers resident on the module to get to the module's flash and the backup module has no such drivers - its storage is managed in a completely different way.
    <ul><li>Dave Kessler<br>President - Kopsis, Inc.</li></ul>
  9.    #9  
    Originally posted by dkessler

As for the backup module, I wouldn't bet on its storage area being accessible to FilePoint. My guess is that FilePoint need the Flash File System drivers resident on the module to get to the module's flash and the backup module has no such drivers - its storage is managed in a completely different way.
    Look! A new project for you...hehe