1.    #1  
    I'm sorry if this one has been asked before, but I'm new here, so here goes...

I recently bought a Visor Prism and I'm in love! It's great and I really love it, but I do have a few questions:

1) For document reading / writing what is everyone's favorite application? Is WordSmith the be all and end all?

2) What is the best email application for POP3 email? Is the included software sufficient?

3) So far I have registered with Avantgo for internet, how does everyone rate this service? What are the alternatives that you use for browsing?

4) What is the one application that you can't do without!

Phew! That'll do for now...

Thanks in advance for the help!

Mike
    Hmmm.

1. Don't do much writing, but I do own Wordsmith (not installed though), For reading I use cspotrun or Peanut reader.

2. If you get email over 8000 characters long, the included app sucks. I use multimail and its conduit (an expensive solution). It work pretty well but could be better.

3. Avantgo is great. There is a alternative, but I can't remember its name right now. Isilo?

4. Avantgo, Multimail, and X-Master (with clock pop and launchem app hack).
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Originally posted by MikeBainbridge
    I'm sorry if this one has been asked before, but I'm new here, so here goes...
    Sveiks! Welcome to the party.

1) For document reading / writing what is everyone's favorite application? Is WordSmith the be all and end all?

If the poll at Palminfocenter is any indication, it is for 48% of those who use word processor programs. I use it and really like it. It is a tad large but for what it does for me, it's worth it.

Edited version: I should point out that the poll was only for word processors. As far as document readers go, the market is a bit more fragmented. I like CSpotRun because it plays nicely with my Memplug. I also use iSilo for webcontent that doesn't need to be updated often (like my world history timeline from the Big Bang to September 30, 2001) and TomeRaider for those great books I find on Memoware that are in TomeRaider format.

2) What is the best email application for POP3 email? Is the included software sufficient?

I would recommend Eudora Internet Suite, minus its web browser. Great piece of software, works with modems, very easy to delete items, and its free.

The included software limits message to 8000 characters on the Visor so if you have any long messages, they will get truncated.

3) So far I have registered with Avantgo for internet, how does everyone rate this service? What are the alternatives that you use for browsing?

I really liked Avantgo. I don't have it on my Visor anymore because I just stopped reading it. I now can go on the net at school at various times during the day so there is no point for me to have Avantgo. As far as browsing goes, it's either Browse It! or Blazer. I would go with Blazer, though it will set you back 20 bucks.

Gee, one application. I can't do that. I have so many now. Cursed Memplug SM Too much. . . memory. I would say Wordsmith and Bejeweled. The other ones I can live a few hours without
    Jason
    Last edited by volcanopele; 11/13/2001 at 09:53 AM.
    Did you just go near a burning hot river of lava or are you just happy to see me?
    Originally posted by volcanopele

I also use iSilo for webcontent that doesn't need to be updated often (like my world history timeline from the Big Bang to September 30, 2001
    Where'd you get that? If you created it yourself, would you be willing to share it?
    Mike
    I'd rather be upside down in my kayak than rightside up at my desk.
    Originally posted by Jupe

Where'd you get that? If you created it yourself, would you be willing to share it?
    They are very large files so I probably won't just post them or something but I can tell you how I made them.

First make sure you have iSilo and iSiloX for your computer. Next go to http://www.timelines.ws . Create an iSilo document using iSiloX on this page with one link depth. Create another one of the 20th Century page with one link depth and of the 21st Century page with one link depth.

This will create three documents, one at 1.5 MB, one at 3.4 MB, and the other at 180 KB. You can then install these on your visor or memory card.

Jason
    Did you just go near a burning hot river of lava or are you just happy to see me?
    Thanks a bunch!
    Mike
    I'd rather be upside down in my kayak than rightside up at my desk.
  7.    #7  
    Hey everyone, thanks for the feedback, it would seem that WordSmith is the way to go for documents. I think I'll try a few email applications out before I go buy though...

Mike
    For document reading / writing...
    For reading & writing, wordsmith sure seems the way to go, though by their very existence bluenomad have kick started development in this area: QuickOffice finally supports (some) font & paragraph formating and iambic have stepped into the arena with iambic office. If you're not writing on the palm, simply reading existing palm doc files try cspotrun its a huge space saver if you haven't invested in memplug/flashadapter.
    ...email application for POP3 email...
    not too sure about pop3 i haven't ventured beyond the multimail lite software that came with my xircom modem. Do you need to be able to access your mail on the run? or are you looking for more features than the palm mail app? If it's the later, try e*mail its a great piece of freeware which extends mail in many ways including allowing larger emails - 32000 I think
    ...Avantgo for internet, how does everyone rate this service?
    it would be great if you could save bookmarks in the browser
    ..the one application you can't do without!
    Ohhh, where to start? ActionNamesDatebook, ThinkDb, and Shadow keep me on the straight and narrow; avantgo keeps me uptodate with the big wide world; backgammon & chesstiger keep me entertained
    Originally posted by MikeBainbridge
    1) For document reading / writing
    Worsmith for doc writing, for reading get cspotrun (free). If you need to read a lot of large docs, get ISilo & pay for it. Very nice.

Depends on what you're using it for. Multimail is nice for attachments, Eudora is probably the best one, IMO...

You can use ISilo as an alternative, but it's not as dumb simple or automatic as Avantgo. Avantgo is perhaps the single most used application outside of the core apps on my Prism.

...it's been sketchy for the past few days, tho...

Avantgo.

runners up:
    Vindigo
    Handyshopper 2
    BigClock
    Worsmith
    Diddlebug (get the color version!)
    ThinkDB2
    Games Games Games
    VFSHelper
    YAPS