1.    #1  
    I changing my desktop PIM to Palm Desktop 4.0.1 (Handspring edition) and have a couple of questions that I hope you can answer:

1. If I enter an appointment with an alarm in my Desktop datebook, should the alarm sound on my PC, or will it only sound on my Visor Deluxe. I have tried setting a couple of alarms, and they didn't sound on my PC nor on the Handspring.

I'll post my other question in the next message.

Thank you.

Orrie
    The alarm should show on both. You need to make sure that the alarm notification manager is running in your system tray for the desktop alarm to work.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for your response.
    Yes, the alarm manager is active, and as far as I can tell, I've set up the alarm properly. It just doesn't do anything.

Is there any way to select the sound of the audible alarm from the PC? In other programs where there are sounds or alarms, the user can generally select the sound. I have not found any .WAV or .MIDI files associated with Palm Desk Top alarm.

Thanks again.

Orrie
    Open the Tools->Options menu. Select the Alarms tab. You need to set the Alarms configuration to "Always available (put in Startup folder)" and there is a check box at the bottom that says "Play audible notification with alarm dialog" This must be checked to have the alarm sound. Unfortunately there is no way to choose a different sound. The sound is hardcoded into the software.

Hope this helps

-Burns
    Check out my page on Visors:
    Burn's Visor page
  5.    #5  
    Thank you, Burns.

I had set up my Desktop this way, and thought it did not sound an alarm. Now I realize that there is a barely audible "tick" when the alarm goes off. It seems to come from the system speaker in my computer's case rather than from the speakers. That is the alarm sound! As I write this, an ice cube in my drink just made that tiny cracking sound that ice cubes sometimes make, and it was quite a bit louder than the Palm Desktop alarm.

I'm sure I got something wrong here, because I can't believe that teeny little "tick"is the alarm the software designers intended. Other sounds, including alarms set in other software are normal.

Orrie
    I'd say there's something wrong then. I get a ding sound out of my speakers.

- Burns
    Burn's Visor page
  7.    #7  
    Thanks, Burns. I'll try to figure this out; it could involve the drivers for my sound card.

And thank you for your web site.

Orrie
    Just thought of something that might help. I had WMP open, watching the Treo video here and I heard my system speaker (not my soundcard speakers) beep for one of my alarms. It suddenly occured to me that you might have something running that is using your sound card. If the sound card is in use, Palm desktop uses the system speaker.

- Burns
    Burn's Visor page
  9.    #9  
    This is an exciting suggestion, but unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be the case. I use WMP and RealAudio quite a bit for news downloads, etc., but it does not seem to make a difference if they are running or not...

Unless, one of them is not releasing some function or a DLL when I close it.

I'll keep looking.

Thanks for your efforts
    Orrie
    I have never been able to get the Palm Desktop Alarm to work at all. All of the settings are in accordance with what was described in this thread and were set that way by default. I have disabled other alarm software (which works perfectly) and rebooted. I don't even get a click. I have a Soundblaster Live card which hasn't failed me yet. Has anyone who has experienced this problem ever solved the mystery. Thank you!

Originally posted by Burns
    Open the Tools->Options menu. Select the Alarms tab. You need to set the Alarms configuration to "Always available (put in Startup folder)" and there is a check box at the bottom that says "Play audible notification with alarm dialog" This must be checked to have the alarm sound. Unfortunately there is no way to choose a different sound. The sound is hardcoded into the software.

Hope this helps

-Burns