1.    #1  
    Does nayone have a utility for the phone app that will allow you to spell the persons name using your Treo Keypad? You know where the voice menu says "type the last name of the person you are trying to reach...."

Since the Treo does not show the letters for each numerical key, I find it hard to simply spell "smith" when I should be able to type it.

Somebody else has to have this problem and a quick program to solve it.

Thanks

Skigs
    There's not a program to solve it, since the voicemail server is programmed to receive the specific numerical buttons that relate to each letter (i.e. '2'=A, B, & C; '3'=D, E, & F; etc.) and there really isn't a way to intercept your qwerty keypresses and convert them to the 'T9' type lettering as required by your corp. voicemail because it's all on the corp. side & how they receive data.

But have you tried hitting the on-screen dialpad button (it pops up above the 'mute' button on the right side of the screen once the call connects) while you're in-call with your voicemail? It'll make the phone dialpad display on the screen, complete with the little letters on each number button, so you can find the right corresponding number button much easier.

Hope that made sense :-/
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the reply.

Your post makes plenty of sense and I appreciate it. Being a moron and totally dependent on the contacts list...I virtually never go to dialpad.

That said, I still figure that somebody out there has tried to create what I am talking about...it just may not be as simple as I seem to think it should/could be.

Afterall, if you hit any of the "blue" hard dialpad buttons on the keyboard while on a call, the corresponding tones phone key tones are emitted. I just figure it can't be that difficult to set up a utility that emits the proper tone for each letter in some manner. Say a utility that when on a call lets you hit alt-P to get a "7" tone and alt-a to get a "2" tone etc.

Anybody done this?

Sad part now is that while it may be possible, the programmers who used to meddle with POS have are migrating on.....so to those of you who do dabble, maybe you can create such a utility for WinMob and WebOS. If you do, I will be a buyer.
    I have searched for such an application for another reason. Sometimes businesses give you their phone # as 555-bank or 555-fire depending on the business. Really hard to add those to a contact entry. But such an app as you describe if it were a DA? Much better
    Quote Originally Posted by deibelsan View Post
    I have searched for such an application for another reason. Sometimes businesses give you their phone # as 555-bank or 555-fire depending on the business. Really hard to add those to a contact entry. But such an app as you describe if it were a DA? Much better
    You could dial 555-bank(2265) from the phone app (where the on-screen buttons have the letters), call it for a split second and hang up before the call is connected. This will add it to your Call Log, from which you can create a contact entry. Very simple process, I've used it quite a few times.