1.    #1  
    Since im about to purchase the sony clie 610C, i was wondering if launcher was the best launcher to work with the Memory Sticks? Doesnt it copy the program on flash to internall memory, then copy it back when your done? So if this is true, it makes the memory sticks act like internall memory u can edit anytime.
    Then if i used launcher lll, then i wouldnt need MSMount? Nor would i need PiDirect, right?

thanks, i am very eager about the sony, especially since with their billions im sure we'll be seeing more and better ones from them, saying they do well in the palm os market
    "Few women admit their age. Few men act theirs."
    "The sum of the intelligence on the planet is constant, but the population is increasing"
    "I am not a vegetarian because i love animals; I am a vegetarian because I hate plants.-- A. Whitney Brown"
    I'm not an expert on memory expansion but... I use LauncherIII 3.0 and MSMount with my n760c. LauncherIII is able to launch programs on the memory stick but for data of non VFS aware programs, you need something like MSMount. I haven't used PIDirect or PowerRun.
    Mike
    I'd rather be upside down in my kayak than rightside up at my desk.
  3.    #3  
    But dont most people just keep data on the internall memory and the read only file on expansion? If i just did that would i still need msmount? Becuase i dont qwite(spelling error) understand what msmount is supposed to do.
    "The sum of the intelligence on the planet is constant, but the population is increasing"
    "I am not a vegetarian because i love animals; I am a vegetarian because I hate plants.-- A. Whitney Brown"
    I don't know what most people do. I only use MSMount for large data files like Mapopolis maps. As I see it, the problem with leaving data in main memory (which is limited to 8Mb) and moving apps to expansion memory (which is not) is that the data tends to be larger. But if the numbers work out for you, that certainly is a simpler solution.
    Mike
    I'd rather be upside down in my kayak than rightside up at my desk.
    I use exactly the same configuration of Launcher III and MSMount. I also keep Mapopolis maps in the MSMount directory. Along with docs, photos, and any other large static databases.

I keep programs in the Launcher folder and PalmReader ebooks in their directory.

The only thing that I keep in standard memory are programs that I always want to be available regardless of which stick that I have in and databases that change like address books and appointments.

This setup also works just as well for my m505 and I suspect that it would work for any Visor users that have installed the VFS extensions.

After lots of fiddling around, it just works that best.

BTW - turn off the 'Always Refresh Apps' option in Launcher III. You can refresh manually when you install new software or change cards rather than have a three second delay every time you start the launcher.
  6.    #6  
    Since i do not have a clie or memory stick or launcher lll or msmount yet. i would like to know the results of this:

pretend i got a program about 1mb in size for the main app, and it came with 3 other smaller data files. could you tell me what to do, as in, what folders i put what files in and what programs i tell msmount to read.

thanks
    Place the program in the /Palm/Launcher directory of the Memory stick. This is the folder that both the built-in launcher and Launcher III will look in to find apps.

Place the database files in the directory that you have MSMount looking at. It sounds like the use of MSMount is not really clear. When you enable MSMount, you can specify any folder on the memory stick and MSMount will expose that directory to the OS. This means that anytime an app asks what databases are available or tries to open a database or read from a database, whether it is actually in memory or on the MS will be transparent to the app that is calling it. The method used is not reliable for writing to databases, but just fine for reading them.

So if your app had any databases that it needed to change, you would leave them in standard memory. Static databases go in the MSMount directory, and apps go in the Palm/launcher directory.

It sounds complex, but works really well.
  8.    #8  
    so msmount wont write to the data files on the card, darn. and i thought that launcher lll copied ALL files in an accociated app and copied it back when done, so it would let me write back to it then.
    Originally posted by robert sibell
    so msmount wont write to the data files on the card, darn. and i thought that launcher lll copied ALL files in an accociated app and copied it back when done, so it would let me write back to it then.
    Bozidar Benc has said that a future version of Launcher III will probably have this feature.

However, as time goes by, this will be less and less important since more and more apps will support VFS directly. For instance, this is one of the major enhancements that is being added to version 2.1 of WordSmith. I would expect that most apps will be adding this capability within the next year.
  10.    #10  
    HELP HELP HELP

i dont know why, but now with my clie 760 and launcher lll installed, whenever i open launcher lll the screen turns white, with only the tool bar icons on the bottom showing, and everything is locked up. i tried the special file to deactivate it, and uninstalled/reinstalled to many times to count. i even hard reset. and to think, this all happend becuase i put on a password and forgot and tried to delete launcher lll and reinstall it. but for some reason IT REMEMBERS ALL MY SETTINGS, EVEN AFTER DELETING IT!

HELp