1.    #1  
    I thought I had a bad USB cable, but it appears the latest Palm Desktop software doesn't support 64-bit Windows:
    Palm Asistencia : Palm Desktop 6.2 and HotSync Manager (Windows)

Is there a workaround? I don't plan to go back to a 32-bit OS, and would rather not have to buy a Bluetooth dongle just for this.
    Treo 650 -> Centro 128 MB
    No workaround I could find. I have to use the Bluetooth to sync. They are about $9 on eBay.
    Hear more talk about my Centro and other industry news, go to thecellphonejunkie.com for a great weekly cell & smartphone podcast.
  3.    #3  
    Bah, I didn't want to do that. Maybe I can work out some convoluted way to sync with Kpilot or jPilot in Ubuntu, sync contacts with GMail and calendar with Google, then sync them both with Outlook in Windows... :P

Just in case I can't make a go of it, what USB dongle did you use? Are they all pretty much the same? I get nervous with the cheapies on eBay as I don't recognize a single brand. Usually I stick to Newegg, at least they've got a decent review system.
    Yeah, I don't know what brand or chipset. It is not marked at all and I bought it a few years ago. No drivers required in Win 7, I just plugged it in and it started working. Another thing to note is the Bluetooth hotsync is nice and slow taking at least 35 minutes for me for the backup stage (the first one was a couple of hours to sync pictures) and my memory usage is 54 MB.
    Hear more talk about my Centro and other industry news, go to thecellphonejunkie.com for a great weekly cell & smartphone podcast.
  5.    #5  
    Holy crap. So that's still a last resort then. Good to know the option's there, at least, however slow. I'd probably have to just do it at night as I charge my phone up, I guess.

Okay, I think I need to figure something out then, ha. I can sync in Linux just great with Kpilot and jPilot, so all I need to work out is how to sync one of those with Google Calendar and GMail contacts. I've only come across one blog that illustrates this, but unfortunately, it was a one-way process, and the wrong way for me, at that.
    I have 64 bit Windows 7 (RC1) on my machine (dual booted with XP) and finally found a workaround. You can download the Windows Virtual PC and the XP mode for W7 and then you can sync your palm with the virtual XP machine. I have a Centro and a Treo 650 and both sync just fine.

To do it, after setting up your virtual xp, you load the palm desktop on it. Then, when prompted, start the sync on your palm, then go to the vitrual pc USB menu and attach the unknown device. The virtual XP should then recognize the device as the palm and things should proceed pretty much normally. Keep in mind, though, that you have to attach the palm (as it is then recognized) device in the USB menu each time you want to sync.

I also have Splash Shopper and Splash ID. Both seem to work fine, and can be launched as virtual applications if the virtual XP is not running, giving you near native use of them.

Scott
    Last edited by scottmcgee; 07/16/2009 at 04:38 PM. Reason: minor correction
  7.    #7  
    Interesting. I had considered that, but wasn't sure how syncing with my Outlook would work.

But, since KPilot in Linux likes to hang at the calendar synchronization, I'll give this a go. Thanks!
  8.    #8  
    So... that didn't work for me. I get "failed to attach device" each and every time. Is there anything in particular you did to get it working?

EDIT: Nevermind, it's just a bit flaky. I can sync now, but this still doesn't help me sync to Outlook. I'll play around and figure something out, I guess.
    Last edited by Captain Spectacular; 07/19/2009 at 04:43 PM.
    OMG all that hassle to sync? Linux this, Ubuntu that?

So what if it takes 15-30 min: Spend a few $$ and get the BT and be done with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Halftown View Post

So what if it takes 15-30 min: Spend a few $$ and get the BT and be done with it.

You're kidding right. Hotsync through USB takes a couple minutes at worst. To spend 15-30 minutes...I guess if you have nothing better to do for that time then you could do that. Personally, I expect my Palm to make me more efficient not less.
    The big problem with that really long Hotsync is the phone does not receive calls!
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Halftown View Post

It syncs perfectly in Linux using jPilot. So no, it's next to no hassle at all to sync in Linux. What I can't get sorted is syncing with Google or 64-bit Windows.

Why waste money on an inferior solution when I can, with a little research and tweaking, automatically sync my calendar and contacts between every PC in the house (Windows and Linux) and Google, all by connecting to one PC's USB port and syncing there?

Add to that what has already been said in response

Bluetooth is not off the table, it's just a last resort, and I don't think I'm there yet.
  13.    #13  
    So yeah. Those trying to sync with KPilot and having issues with the calendar... the KDE 4.3 version and bundled Akonadi-server seem to fix this. I can now sync with KPilot as well as jPilot. Advantage to KPilot of course is the ability to use GCALDaemon to sync the ICS file with Google's.
    Quote Originally Posted by scottmcgee View Post
    I have 64 bit Windows 7 (RC1) on my machine (dual booted with XP) and finally found a workaround. You can download the Windows Virtual PC and the XP mode for W7 and then you can sync your palm with the virtual XP machine. I have a Centro and a Treo 650 and both sync just fine.

<snip>

I also have Splash Shopper and Splash ID. Both seem to work fine, and can be launched as virtual applications if the virtual XP is not running, giving you near native use of them.

Scott
    Scott,

I am planning on doing this as well.

Do you just let SplashShopper and SplashID save their databases in the virtual machine's virtual C drive? If you do that can you access the file from the Windows 7 desktop? I'm not sure how they'll be visible from the Win 7 machine (so I can back them up easily without opening the XP Mode virtual machine)... the virtual C drive in XP Mode likely just appears as a virtual hard drive file (*.vhd).

I want the programs running in XP mode to save the files not in the virtual drive but in the real one that Windows 7 uses.
    Last edited by Sprinter; 07/27/2010 at 09:47 PM.
  15.    #15  
    Whoa, thread necromancy.

Though I've never used either program, I'm pretty sure you could use an application like SyncBack Pro to sync the database files in both Windows if you share the directory they're stored in on either the VM or 7.

I ended up getting a Bluetooth dongle as it turns out :lol: Though I got it to tether my laptop to my phone. I had been using 32-bit Windows 7 on another PC for a while and syncing the Outlook .pst file between PCs.
    There are 64bit drivers from Aceeca. Go to Aceeca or Palm Support Community forums in the windows hotsync section. You want the 64bit drivers are here post.
    Finally the 64 bit drivers are here!! check out the link
    Aceeca.com :: Rugged Palm Powered™ Handhelds
    and here is a troubleshooting guide

http://www.aceeca.com/products/pub/e...s_7_64-bit.pdf
    If you want to hotsync with Outlook 2010 there is a workaround for it at Palm Support Community. This appears to work on windows 7 32&64bit systems. It is in a sticky in the windows hotsync section.
    This post got me to set up account. I have Palm Treo 755p which I love and am too lazy to change to new phone. Use it for Outlook, and tethering with PDANet but gosh darn, no Windows 7 driver existed. The Aceeca Driver did the fix. Would pay for this kind of advice. Dayton