1.    #1  
    ok, so i haven't been as close to the palm world action as i used to be lately. I may have missed something during the last few months...

Does anybody know how to create a .dba file which i can then import into my datebook? I see all these sports schedules on palmgear already in DBA format and I'm wondering how it was done easily.

I'd like to be able to take a .csv file and rearrange specific fields so that I can convert it to a .dba file with the appropriate information in their respective fields as well as possibly setting specific fields so that alarms are set/with times as well as repeating events, etc.

does anybody know of anything that will let me do this? Or better yet (if it's just a matter of renaming my .csv as a .dba to trick palm desktop) does anybody know what the template is for the order of fields (5th field is alarm on/off, etc.)

Thanks!
    wow, it's been awhile.....things have REALLY changed...why is my Visor Edge still in my hand? Will a Treo fit better?
    Hoser,

Sadly, it's not as simple as just renaming a .csv file, but there is a freeware application called "convdb" that will let you create .dba files with a little work:

http://www.palmgear.com/software/sho...303&prodID=632

It's a little cryptic, but includes good documentation and examples to follow. Good luck!
    Eschew obfuscation!
  3.    #3  
    thanks for the link, linguas.

i looked at it and read some of the documentation at the website and it's too much work for what i really need it for.

it's too bad nobody has ever put together something simple that would allow a user to convert a simple csv file into a dba file to be imported into the datebook.

i've downloaded schedules for sports teams in dba format (how are they doing it???) and by having my favourite team's schedule right in my datebook, i've eliminated the hassle of finding my database application and then loading the database which contains the schedule, then scrolling to the current date. Now i just open up my datebook and it's there!

anybody out there in the mood for putting something together that can help me do this?

thanks.
    wow, it's been awhile.....things have REALLY changed...why is my Visor Edge still in my hand? Will a Treo fit better?
    Originally posted by Hoser_back_home
    anybody out there in the mood for putting something together that can help me do this?
    According the the PalmOS Developer Knowledgebase, the files formats are proprietary based on the Microsoft MFC. I guess it would take a sharp programmer to figure it out (probably why there aren't many other apps to do it).

I use PocketMirror and it's easy to import .CSV data directly into Outlook and then sync it over to the Visor. I've done it with both schedule data and contacts.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    The only program that I knew about that could write a date book archive file (.dba) was the Palm Desktop. On thing you could do is use the Palm Desktop, add a new user, key in the special events, and then export all the events to a .dba file.
    Originally posted by MarkEagle
    According the the PalmOS Developer Knowledgebase, the files formats are proprietary based on the Microsoft MFC. I guess it would take a sharp programmer to figure it out (probably why there aren't many other apps to do it).
    Yes the file format is Microsoft proprietary. However, as the second paragraph says:
    The way that data is obtained or put into the file is through the use of the MFC objects using the API in the Conduit SDK. This is accomplished by using \condsdk\src\basemon.cpp and basetabl.cpp.
    So it should be possible with the object definitions given there to read and write .dba files using the MFC object serialization methods.