Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Although I still feel that the device is only a dinosaur if it fails to meet the needs of its user, I have to admit that my Pre conversion leaves me thinking how much i'd hate (for lack of a better word) to go back to having only the 755p. For my current needs/desires, it's greatest value is as a back-up device of-sorts.

I feel like such a traitor.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    This is a hard question for me; it depends on the features you really use.

If you browse the web with your phone, the 755p, IMO, is a dinosaur already. Very limited Java support (IBM Websphere Java is old, no longer updated or supported, and without that installed, Java support is nonexistent), and the Blazer browser is ancient. While you can install Opera Mini, its functionality is based on the Java support, making it less stable than on other platforms.
    The 755p is far more stable than when first introduced, but compared to some of its competitors, it is lagging behind. PalmOS Garnet has a great interface (better than many smartphones that are new) but its underpinnings are a mess. My 755p at its best has probably had a crash-reboot once a week, and that's assuming I didn't use Bluetooth much. Palm Desktop is also an app that needs a complete rewrite, although thankfully version 6.2 (and the Outlook 2007 conduit update) are a welcome relief from previous versions. There are also times (usually due to low signal strength) where the phone has 20-second lag times when performing functions, which can be maddening if you're using an application that has nothing to do with using the cellular network.
    The 755p is still the best SMS-text phone out there IMO. The IM-chat style texting just rocks, and the keyboard is one of the best.

Work gave me a new Blackberry Tour (9630) this week as a replacement. I had my 755p for two years (had a 700p and a 650p before that), and I thought it would be difficult to give up, despite some of its shortcomings, since I was fairly happy with it. I'm almost ashamed to say it, but it only took 48 hours to decide the Tour is the best smartphone I've ever used. Signal strength and call clarity is better, I have found replacements for all the Palm applications I used most, and the phone hasn't crashed yet. Web browsing makes the Treo look feeble. SMS-text is the one area where the Treo kills the Tour, since the Tour doesn't have an IM-style chat interface. Still, the fact that I'm not looking back and missing my Treo is an indicator to me of how much it has aged, and how much better my new phone is.

I still hope the Pre' gains traction in the market. I couldn't get one (not on Sprint), but it looks quite innovative, and I don't want to see Palm die as long as they are truly beginning to innovate again.
    Palm IIIx, IBM WorkPad (Palm Vx), Kyocera 6135, Treo 650p, 700p, 755p
    I still love my Treo. It all just boils down to what is best for you. I used a Tour the other day at the store and hated the keboard. I use my phone to check my email 3 to 4 times a day, a couple of phone calls, check facebook/Craigslist, ocaisionally google, and a TON of texts. So the Treo still does it for me. When Palm releases a WebOS phone similar to the Treo (not the Pixie) I will be ready to move on.
    Quote Originally Posted by nickandhistreo View Post
    I still love my Treo. It all just boils down to what is best for you. I used a Tour the other day at the store and hated the keboard. I use my phone to check my email 3 to 4 times a day, a couple of phone calls, check facebook/Craigslist, ocaisionally google, and a TON of texts. So the Treo still does it for me. When Palm releases a WebOS phone similar to the Treo (not the Pixie) I will be ready to move on.
    What disqualifies the Pixi?
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    I use my 755p extensively and love it. I think the Palm OS is more of a dinosaur than the phone itself. There is no updates coming out on any of my applications, which, I don't blame the companies since no one is buying Palm OS applications anymore.

ET

PS: Watching the Palm Pre reviews on Youtube, I will be making the switch as soon as Verizon offers it.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12