1.    #1  
    Friends,

Found out yesterday that the Cincinnati office of the company I work for (me and another guy) is being closed as of next Thursday. Big shock - no warning signs, etc. Our work is very computer intensive. We intend to start our own consulting firm, but because all my equipment belongs to my employer, I have to return it or forgo very meager severence package, which I cannot afford to lose. Partner has PCs, but not enough for me to use one (I work at home for medical reasons). I haven't the capital right now to buy one of my own.

Question:
    Can anyone who is in a similar situation of having no PC, but needing to do "computing", advise me on how I might make this work for the most part, just using my Visor? It seems some of you do something like this, and I am very grateful for any suggestions you may have.
    MANY BLESSINGS!
    Peace and Every Good!

Michael W. Cristiani
    mcristia@fuse.net
    To use a Visor as a 'computer', you basically just need a few simple things.

KEYBOARD- there are a lot to choose from, but the Stowaway is excellent and the most natural typing 'feel'.

BACKUP- you will HAVE to have some form of back-up or a simple crash (forgetting to change the batteries quickly enough, for example) will wipe out everything. The 'Backup modules' are simple and reliable- and cheap! (Especially on eBay or used). Memory modules, like the MemPlug or FlashPlus can also work but my personal experience is that the backup modules are safer and more reliable.

SOFTWARE- this should go without saying, but what the heck. You need the right software for your project. For example- writing documents that need ot be Word compatible? You'll need a text or word processor that does this, like Docs to Go or WordSmith.

PRINTER- A computer without a printer is crippled. With a Palm IR printer driver, you can print to any IR-ready printer. You can also use the Bachmann 'infraReady Adapter' or simiar products to make other printers 'IR ready'.

REMOVEABLE MEMORY- Using a SmartMedia or CompactFlash card for a memory chip adds a nice advantage. These are very stable storage media, so are great places to park your work, and with a card reader, can be quickly read or written to from a desktop computer. The FlashPlus or MemPlug are probably the best, but even the reduced price Matchbook Drive will work for this purpose!
    Well I am not in the same situation but here is some software I reccomend for you.
    • Wordsmith - For wordprocessing there is an entire sweet of products that mimics Microsoft office
    • Ultrasoft Money
    • Avant Go
    • Noah Lite or some other english dictionary
    • Some way to connect to the internet if it is important to you.?. ie Visorphone, landline modem, wireless modem
    • Targus Stowaway Keyboard

I don't know if this was helpful but it is somewhere to start. Sorry about losing your job
    --David
  4.    #4  
    Originally posted by mcristia
    Friends,

Thanks for the comments so far. Looks like I may be in go shape, except for the removable storage:

SOFTWARE-
    Wordsmith - Got it
    Ultrasoft Money - Using Pocket Money
    Avant Go - Got it
    Noah Lite - Got it, but not installed
    INTERNET - Have ThinModem+ and Xircom Global Access 56K
    KEYBOARD- Targus Stowaway Keyboard - Got it
    BACKUP- Using HS 8MB Backup Modules
    REMOVEABLE MEMORY MODULE - Considering MemPlug or FlashPlus
    PRINTER- Looking at A6 and Bachmann 'infraReady Adapter' for my Laser to make it 'IR ready'.
    MANY BLESSINGS!
    Peace and Every Good!

Michael W. Cristiani
    mcristia@fuse.net
    I was going to recommend some applications, but they were already listed. But I can't not say sorry about your job--Many Blessings! Peace and Every Good! to you, Michael.
    Kelley
    Our work is very computer intensive. We intend to start our own consulting firm
    Looks like you've got everything I would have suggested. However, you may find that your best option is to get a bare-bones pc system anyway, as cheap as you can, just for screen size. Looking at a visor all day will probably wear on you right quick, and there's no substitute for screen real estate. Sometimes you just need a ton of information available to you in one glace, not in one long scroll.
    Sorry about the job loss -- best of luck on your new endeavor.

I work in sales automation - choosing and configuring technology to fit job processes. You know, you're in a world of 500mhz to 1g processors and 6 to 20 gig hard drives, full size monitors, plug and play accessories such as zip drives, clic disks, scanners, etc. etc. etc.

A handheld is really another accessory to help someone do their job, manage their work / life, etc. Just as a full-size or laptop PC/Mac won't function very well as a handheld, I think you'll probably find that a handheld won't function very well as a desktop computer. The small screen, 33mhz speed, limited storage (and how do you back-up storage cards without a computer to back them up to) -- will probably make you insane.

I think you'll be better off finding a used, but beefy, desktop/laptop to work from as your main business computer.
    dave
  8.    #8  
    [/i]Thank you, all, for the kind words of support.[i]

Originally posted by David Vitale
    You know, you're in a world of 500mhz to 1g processors and 6 to 20 gig hard drives, full size monitors, plug and play accessories such as zip drives, clic disks, scanners, etc. etc. etc....

A handheld is really another accessory to help someone do their job, manage their work / life, etc...
    Dave,

I agree. In fact, the comapny owned stuff I have now includes two workhorses with very large hard drives and lots of speed, with 17" and 19" monitors. Will miss these terribly. But I have to choose between feeding the family and getting even a used PC at the moment.

The plan is to primarily use removable storage cards, like CF or SM to move files back and forth to clients' systems, via USB dual card reader. I know it will be tedious, but I have no choice, and my work partner will still have his half a dozen PCs that will occasionally be available to me. I don't really plan to use the handheld to do worksheet work, but some database work maybe, depending on our clients' needs.

What is likely to happen once we get going and have some $$$, is that I will get a souped-up laptop and 19" or 21" monitor that will meet both our needs. The immediate is my big concern, however.

Expensive, this, eh!
    MANY BLESSINGS!
    Peace and Every Good!

Michael W. Cristiani
    mcristia@fuse.net
    Expensive, this, eh!
    You ain't kiddin! I have been wanting to upgrade for a long time... Feed the kids. Sounds like you've got everything you need to make your visor a good interim unit...and I agree that the CF reader is prob. the best way to transfer files.

Good Luck!
    Michael,
    I sent you an email.
    Michael
    "I am a debtor both to Greeks and to Barbarians, both to the wise and to the foolish."