Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    When I try to open my user data file I get an end of file error. I can't import it either. Is there any way to recover the data? Please help!!

Please send me an email

Paulcost@earthlink.net
  2.    #2  
    Originally posted by paulcost
    When I try to open my user data file I get an end of file error.
    Which "user data file?" On your desktop? palm? clie? what is the name of the file?
    I can't import it either. Is there any way to recover the data? Please help!!
    Perhaps.. depends on what data you're talking about. Chances are I just don't get it (and my reply serves only to ask others who do get it to chime in), but I get the feeling that a lot more specifics as to what the problem is are in order.
  4.    #4  
    The "User Data" file is in the "user(s)" folder in the "Palm" folder. All on the hard-drive of my Mac I-book.

Unfortunately, my visor is broken, so I have no back up of all the info. All I have is this seemingly corrupted "User Data" file.

Thank you for your reply.
    Paul:
    If your Visor is broken, where do you plan to restore the data to?

We all want to help. Take a deep breath and tell us exactly what happened. Chances are, I'm too dumb to help you, but deitrichbohn is a pretty smart fellow, as are some of the other folks around here. The more thorough you can be in your explanation, the more likely someone is to figure out what you can do.

Also, most people would respond on the board, not through email, because the problem may come up again and having it already figured out and searchable is helpful.

Good Luck with this!
    Kelley
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding the problen, but to reinstall your info, won't you need a new visor? I think the file you are trying to open is only for the Visor.
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
    Originally posted by K. Cannon
    Chances are, I'm too dumb to help you, but deitrichbohn is a pretty smart fellow, as are some of the other folks around here.
    Now now, let's not start spreading lies...

Unfortunately, I know precisely Zip about the files on the Mac platform. Tell us what version of the Palm desktop you're using on what version of the MacOS and one of our mac gurus (James or Josh?) may chime in to help out. I'm sure there's some way you can at least get a text file of your data, unless it's some other problem (hard drive issue or something?)

Other questions: How/when did the file get "corrupted?" Is this related to the destruction of said visor? What kind of data are you looking to retrieve? Just contacts and datebook? Something else?
    I don't know anything about Mac's but on Windows, there is a file named USERDATA.DLL and a USERS.DAT file. The USERS.DAT stores the settings for all the installed conduits and the USERDATA.DLL is a system file that the desktop HotSync app uses to "read" and interpret the USERS.DAT file.

Actual data (apps and databases) from the handheld is stored in a subdirectory that's usually named similarly to the username specified on the handheld.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
  9.    #9  
    First of all, Thank for your help.

The Visor ran out of batteries several days ago and erased itself. I was lazy and didn't hotsync right away. Yesterday the Palm desktop on my i-book froze. This was not related to any problem on the visor.

When I re-booted the computer and tried to open the Palm desktop, I got the "unexpended end of file" dialog box and the Palm desktop wouldn't open. So, I made a copy of the "User(s)" folder for the Palm desktop, and I re-installed the Palm software from the CD I got when I bought my Visor. It's "Palm Desktop v. 2.5".

I run Mac os 9.0.2

So, with the newly installed Palm desktop, the program worked fine again, but without any of my data. I tried several thing to get my old data. I discarded the new "User(s)" folder and replaced it with the old one. I got the same "unexpended end of file" dialog box . I tried to open my old "User Data" file separately and again I got the same "unexpended end of file" dialog box .

I then tried to import data from the old "User Data" file, but it doesn't show up in the import menu.

So, I'm pretty sure the my "user data" file is the root of the problem and is corrupted. I just would like to try and recover any data I can from it. If anyone wants to take a look at it, I'll e-mail it to you.

Let me know.
    Originally posted by paulcost
    I'm pretty sure the my "user data" file is the root of the problem and is corrupted.
    That file may well be corrupted but I don't think it contains any data from the Visor itself. Again, I don't know anything about the Mac environment so I may be wrong...
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    First of all, "unexpended" (not used) or "unexpected" (not, uh, expected)?

I am also using Mac OS 9.0.2.

To the best of my knowledge, the User Data file is what Palm Desktop for Mac looks to for the stuff in the various PIM elements.
    Per the Help in PDT,
    "When you perform a HotSync® operation, HotSync Manager reads the user name from your handheld, then looks for a data file in a folder with the same user name. If there is no folder with that name, you won't see the data you expect in Palm™ Desktop software or on your handheld.

To see the results you expect from a HotSync operation, make sure that the name on your handheld matches the name of the data file you normally use."

Thoughts:
    1) There is a newer version of Palm Desktop for the Mac, v. 2.6. You should be able to get it from the Handspring website. It may not help but it may not hurt either.

2) do you have any sort of disk maintenance program, such as Norton Utilities or Tech Tool? The first thing I do when a file is giving me trouble is to have it analyzed and see if it can be repaired. Overall, it sounds like your User Data file has become corrupted.

3) got a backup anywhere? even if it isn't recent? (actually, that might be better.)

4) have you tried opening a duplicate of the file with a text editor? As you say, you want to recover as much as you can from it. If you can open it with another program it might help. (But, try repairing the file first.)

5) see if you can set up a new username, then put your possibly bad data file in that user's folder (see the software's help info I plugged in above).

good luck!
    Last edited by Yorick; 10/23/2001 at 06:27 PM.
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
  12.    #12  
    I tried updating to the new version, no luck.

Is there a service available that can recover damaged files?
    "unexpended end of file"
    Ah...that's the problem.

The file is certainly corrupted, and, as mentioned you need a tool such as Norton Disk Doctor or Tech Tool or Disk Warrior to try and fix it.

If that doesn't work, well, then you are SOL.

That said, I don't think this file is terribly important. The more important files are the the 'Backups' folder within the user folder of the palm folder.

You should be able to install a new copy of Palm Desktop, sync the visor, go back and replace the new 'Backups' folder with the old one, and resync. That should bring most of your data back.

Regardless, you've learned a lesson. ALWAYS BACK UP! You may want to look into installing a program on your visor such as BackUpAll or BackUpBuddy to make sure that ALL of your data is backed up on the desktop.
    -David Byrne
    Originally posted by homer
    That said, I don't think this file is terribly important. The more important files are the the 'Backups' folder within the user folder of the palm folder.
    His schedule, contacts, to-dos and notes aren't that important? And what are you primarily using *your* handheld organizer for?

For me, it took hours to enter the initial information, and things evolved from there. I had enough trouble when my browser bookmarks file went south, I can't imagine what I'd do if I lost all the information for my PIM. It's the most important thing on my Visor, every thing else is just gravy.
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
    just had another thought. When I attempted to use Entourage (in the Office:2001 suite; I gave up on it because it wouldn't do certain things I like from my current email client) I was able to import all of my Palm Desktop data into it. Perhaps you could try that. More than likely it will just give you another end-of-file, but might be worth a shot.

There are companies that recover data, but it's horribly expensive in my experience; unless you have it to burn you would be better off re-entering the data.
    His schedule, contacts, to-dos and notes aren't that important? And what are you primarily using *your* handheld organizer for?
    Well, of course I may be completely wrong, but I am assuming that your schedule is stored in the "Datebk3HDB.pdb" file, NOT the user data file.

That said, I don't see a PDB for the contacts, so maybe that IS stored in the user data file.

I dunno. It was just a thought.
    -David Byrne
  17.    #17  
    I have over 600 contacts on my Palm. It would be impossible for me to re-enter the info because I don't have it.

I Have used Disk Doctor with no luck. What are these other programs mentioned? Can anyone recomend a data recovery service?

This is a long shot----- but could I e-mail the file to someone and see if they can recover the info, or does it need to be delivered on a disk?

Thanks to everyone for your ideas!!!
    Originally posted by homer
    Well, of course I may be completely wrong, but I am assuming that your schedule is stored in the "Datebk3HDB.pdb" file, NOT the user data file.
    sorry for being snotty, homer. I hadn't been thinking about what data files belong on the Visor; I looked on mine using Z'Catalog and I see there's an AddressDB, DatebookDB (it's bigger than the one for Datebk3DB, wonder why, as I've always used DB3), ToDoDB, UserDB, and MemoDB. (I'm not at home so can't verify that those are in the Backups folder.)
    so if PaulCost syncs those files onto his Visor, theoretically that would make all that info available again, and by doing a fresh sync to Palm Desktop he'd be back in biz with a brand new User Data File. What do you think?
    I don't know if this will help but, I am runnning Palm Desktop 4.0 and Hotsync Manager 4.0.1. In my user folder it has a seperate folder for each thing, todo, address, contacts, and so on. But this is on a Sony Clie and may be different on the visors.

--David
  20.    #20  
    The files in the backup folder I think are backups of the PROGRAMS that the visor runs and don't contain the user data. The data is in the "USER DATA" file.

What I need is simple: I need to recover the data from that file in any way possible.

Any more ideas?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast