Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    Originally posted by paulcost
    I have over 600 contacts on my Palm. It would be impossible for me to re-enter the info because I don't have it.

I Have used Disk Doctor with no luck. What are these other programs mentioned? Can anyone recomend a data recovery service?

This is a long shot----- but could I e-mail the file to someone and see if they can recover the info, or does it need to be delivered on a disk?

Thanks to everyone for your ideas!!!
    Paulcost,

I agree with the people who have told you that this file is not necessary. I'll tell you exactly what this file does:

It identifies what conduits you have setup in your hotsync. Look, mine is below (with edited changes to hide my true identity)

˙˙  CUseraj User Nameuser directory in palm folder  ˙˙  CUserSyncPreferenceetad €rdda €odot €omem €liam €spxe €alBM €˙˙˙˙ €ofnR €PGTD €AVAN €fCbW €SdrW €MRGL

Ok, here's an explanation of the above: cant tell you what the first two things are, but following that is the username and the user directory in the palm folder. After that is follows the user sync preferences. Mine starts out with addressbook (rdda [look at it backwards and you get addr]), then todo, then memo, then mail, then expense, then MBla which has to do with Avantgo, then Rnfo which has something to do with either antivirus, backupbuddy, or doc to go, then follows DTGP which is documents to go, then AVAN is avantgo, then WbCf I think is Wordsmith configuration, then WrdS is Wordsmith condiut itself, then LGRM is probably the install managers.

Want a solution to your problem? All you have to do is forget your old file. There is no information in there that goes on your Visor. What you need to do is install that newest version of Palm desktop. Leave the user file alone. Reinstall your conduits. This should fix your problem.

Now, if you want to try and see if there's something special inside this user file, open it with a text editor. That is all I did. You will probably see something like what I've posted.

- Burns
    Last edited by Burns; 10/24/2001 at 03:11 PM.
    Check out my page on Visors:
    Burn's Visor page
  3.    #23  
    Rude, but helpful.

Thanks
    Apologies for rudeness. It's amazing what low bloodsugar does to one's demeanor. Post edited to remove rudeness.

- Burns
    Burn's Visor page
    doh, double post
    Burn's Visor page
    Rude, but helpful.
    To be fair, it's a bit rude to post "I need help big time" and expect people to be able to help without providing any actual specifics about your problem.
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12