Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    It stops locating few weeks ago. I'm getting message "Sorry, we can't determine your location at present. Try again at a nearby location."
    I'm on AT&T and I tried it in different locations in Georgia and Florida. My data plan works fine. Did I miss something ?
    I'm on VZW, but didn't think you could actually gps with the Centro...have you before?
    With the newest Google Maps version, you can press '0' to get my location, which approximates your position by cell phone tower.

I've had to try it several times occasionally before it will actually locate.
    That is FRICKIN' COOL! Never knew that, obviously. Wow. It's not terribly accurate tho'. I'm in my basement, and it gives me a circle 1600 meters, but I'm actually outside it a couple hundred more...close enough if you're really lost tho'!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zorro1 View Post
    That is FRICKIN' COOL! Never knew that, obviously. Wow. It's not terribly accurate tho'. I'm in my basement, and it gives me a circle 1600 meters, but I'm actually outside it a couple hundred more...close enough if you're really lost tho'!
    And it's perfect for when you're vacationing out of state (or at least far enough from home to not be familiar with your surroundings). Hit '0' then hit '?' (no need to hit shift or menu, so basically just press the 'N' key) and type in 'Chinese' to find a nearby restaurant, or 'pet' if you're running low on dog food, whatever you wish.

Sadly (and pointlessly) the My Location feature isn't available for the 755p. It's the only thing I miss from my Centro so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by fstopstigmata View Post
    Sadly (and pointlessly) the My Location feature isn't available for the 755p. It's the only thing I miss from my Centro so far.
    But if you get a GPS puck, you can use Where Am I from The World of Carlos, which allows you to get your coordinates from the GPS and pass it to Google Maps.
    What's the cheapest reliable one I could get?

See, I figured all my major travelling would be done with my wife, so we could use her Centro's My Location, but if I could actually get real GPS for cheap it'd be a much better option..
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    So its working on Verizon ..? Why not AT&T
    I have been using this feature much more often than TomTom for Palm
    I am in Salt Lake City on a Centro with AT&T. I just tested the "0" location feature on Google Maps v. 2.0.2.0 and it worked. I am around 800 yards from the located position.
    Quote Originally Posted by joseorlandi View Post
    I am in Salt Lake City on a Centro with AT&T. I just tested the "0" location feature on Google Maps v. 2.0.2.0 and it worked. I am around 800 yards from the located position.
    That's because all it does is take the three cell towers closest to you and displays the central point between them. It's not GPS.
    you're in SLC? So it's really GPS for LDS then, eh?
    cmon! It's free. It gives a range of ~1000 meters. What do you want? If you're that lost.... buy a map.
    Quote Originally Posted by fstopstigmata View Post
    It's not GPS.

It's aGPS actually But overall, it can be useful, but it can be pretty terrible. Where I am right now it says within 600m and I'm well within the circle, so that's fine. But at my house it says within 2000m but I'm well outside the circle - pushing 2 miles at least from the point... Oh well... But it does get you to the general vacinity and it has been helpful.