1.    #1  
    I've got a Centro (CDMA, Sprint) that keeps resetting itself on a specific SMS conversation thread with a specific user.
    This is not an MMS conversation, so no pics or anything exotic, just a plain conversation.

I cannot delete it from the Centro since that also resets the device. It still shows the alert on the home screen for a new SMS from this user -again, even clicking this alert, instead of taking me to the message, it resets the device.

I've already downloaded Treodesktop and I'm able to view the messages -still haven't figured it out how to transfer those messages to my PC for backup, and is there a way to transfer only selected threads back to the Centro, so I can restore all messages but the offending thread. (Can anyone with Treodesktop experience help me there?)

Is there a way to delete all my SMS, maybe deleting a file/folder from the PC this Centro syncs with?
    Go to the Messaging program, press your Menu key, go to Message, select Purge and Purge "all" and you will delete all messages. Unfortunately, I never used Treodesktop before. I think you have no choice because you probably have a corrupted Messaging database.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks, I had forgotten about the Purge All option, but at least for now, I wanted to avoid any "scorched earth" solutions. I wanted to find a way to at least delete just this specific thread (which is sorted by contact) and keep all the others.

I have the Messages_Database.PDB filed backed up. I just need a way to edit it and remove the bad/corrupted thread.
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carioca_FL View Post
    Thanks, I had forgotten about the Purge All option, but at least for now, I wanted to avoid any "scorched earth" solutions. I wanted to find a way to at least delete just this specific thread (which is sorted by contact) and keep all the others.

I have the Messages_Database.PDB filed backed up. I just need a way to edit it and remove the bad/corrupted thread.
    I believe pdb's are binary files so you'll need a Hex Editor.
    You could try switching to non-threaded messages by going to messaging preferences -> Chat -> Create chats from messages: never. Then see if any specific message causes a reset.
  6.    #6  
    Sorry for the lack of updates, but I was out of town.

I got a hold of the Centro again; it seems that even when trying to the "Purge All" option or just changing an option on the Messaging app causes a reset.

Strangely enough, you can send/receive SMS just fine, the reset is triggered only when accessing a specific thread or when trying to delete or change settings.

I am also still looking for a way to backup specific SMS messages AND restore them back to the Centro, so I can safely reset it and delete the backed up SMS messages on the PC.
    You can delete all messages by selecting the menu button > Delete > Messages Database. This will delete all messages not just the bad thread.
    You could try this on the messages database pdb
    Just hit the backspace key when the bad thread is hilighted to delete that whole thread. Does that fix it?
    Quote Originally Posted by TJSunDevil View Post
    You could try switching to non-threaded messages by going to messaging preferences -> Chat -> Create chats from messages: never. Then see if any specific message causes a reset.
    This has saved me before in the exact same scenario. I have a thread that constantly causes a reset. I'll change the option from threaded to never then back to threaded and the problem is fixed. It appears that changing this option may cause the db to be rebuilt thus fixing the problem.