1.    #1  
    Would someone in the know mind giving a brief primer on how the whole Doc file thing works? I understand that Rick Bram (along with Canadian gentleman whose names escapes me at the moment) developed it to get past the built-in memo pad 4k size restriction, and that it has basically become the standard for larger text files for the Palm OS. But I don't really know what goes into it and how it works.

The reason I ask is I seem to be one of the few using Quickword who didn't jump over to Wordsmith when it came out. I thought it was great when Wordsmith came out with the ability to change text sizes, use bold, underline, and italics, and all the other formatting goodies. The only thing that concerned me slightly about it was that it no longer used the Doc format. Just recently, the new version of Quickword came out that allows many of the same formatting options, but which also does not use the Doc format. On top of that, Wordsmith and Quickword seem to be using formats different from each other, i.e. proprietary formats.

So my questions are:

1. Is the Doc format unable to support these higher levels of formatting, hence the new formats?
    2. If the use of bold, underline, italics, etc., is to become the standard (which, why wouldn't it?) does this mean we are going to see a bunch of proprietary formats battle it out for supremacy?

I guess I just liked the fact that Doc's are so ubiquitous that I could use them with just about any text reader/editor out there and pass them on to other Palm OS users without having to worry about making sure they received the right 'type' of file. It would seem that if the Doc format were capable of supporting bold, underline, and italics it would have already been done that way and would have been easier.

Any comments are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
    Originally posted by knash2112
    1. Is the Doc format unable to support these higher levels of formatting, hence the new formats?
    The doc format supports text only. Nothing else.
    2. If the use of bold, underline, italics, etc., is to become the standard (which, why wouldn't it?) does this mean we are going to see a bunch of proprietary formats battle it out for supremacy?
    Yup.

Plug for Wordsmith: it does support the doc format: you can create either kind and read either kind, and easily convert between the two, all natively.

As for the proprietary format battle, I'm as frustrated as you. Again, a plug for Wordsmith: they use standard Rich Text Formatting. If you happen to take a look at a wordsmith memo on the palm desktop, you'll see the tags for bold, italics, etc. are all the standard RTF tags, meaning that it's just a doc with lots of <b> and such inserted. I don't know how the others word, but the WS seems very elegant to me.