1.    #1  
    If you've been thinking about getting a Verizon Centro, you might want to get a move on. The price dropped has dropped to $10.

The site says, "While supplies last". I'm guessing they're running low or are wanting to get them out the door quickly.

The rep I talked to said that they're new phones unless it says specifically "refurbished".

I quickly glanced through the posts and didn't see this reported.
    If this is old news please disregard.
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    Great deal but you have to buy a new two-year contract to get it.

I am probably pointing out the obvious though.
    Thanks for sharing! My son has a Centro, I just ordered a spare for him. My 700p is still chugging and I'm not leaving Verizon anytime soon, its a winner deal for me!

Quote Originally Posted by LPatt View Post
    If you've been thinking about getting a Verizon Centro, you might want to get a move on. The price dropped has dropped to $10.

The site says, "While supplies last". I'm guessing they're running low or are wanting to get them out the door quickly.

The rep I talked to said that they're new phones unless it says specifically "refurbished".

I quickly glanced through the posts and didn't see this reported.
    If this is old news please disregard.
    I don't understand...

If you have a line (700P) and he has one (Centro) and you are getting a "Spare" for 10$... doesn't that require a new (3rd) line of service and a new 2-year contract for that line? You can't just pick-up the 10$ Centro phone hardware without a new line and contract, can you? Or do you convince them to not activate the new Centro and add 2 more years to your existing contract- since you have no intension of leaving anyway?

I don't see how this can work.
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    Quote Originally Posted by duanedude1 View Post
    I don't understand...

If you have a line (700P) and he has one (Centro) and you are getting a "Spare" for 10$... doesn't that require a new (3rd) line of service and a new 2-year contract for that line? You can't just pick-up the 10$ Centro phone hardware without a new line and contract, can you? Or do you convince them to not activate the new Centro and add 2 more years to your existing contract- since you have no intension of leaving anyway?

I don't see how this can work.
    Yes, I have a line for my 700p, that line I upgraded to get the extra Centro, I extended my contract, but didn't activate the phone, since I'm not leaving.
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by broncot View Post
    Yes, I have a line for my 700p, that line I upgraded to get the extra Centro, I extended my contract, but didn't activate the phone, since I'm not leaving.
    If you don't activate within 30 (or maybe 60 days, I'm not sure), they'll send you a hefty bill at bust out retail price for the Centro.
    Oh, I see how you did it.

But to avoid getting a surprise big bill, (see jdpuglisi above) maybe you can activate the centro on your 700P line, temporarily, then after a while re-activate the 700P and deactivate the Centro??

I had to temporarily re-activate my old Treo 650 while waiting for my Centro replacement screen to arrive. Those sneeky guys at Verizon took away my cheaper 30 dollar Centro data plan and re-instituted the expensive 45 dollar a month one. Once the Centro was fixed, they deactivated the 650 and reactivated the Centro, and I supposedly got my cheeper data plan back.

So for you, I guess you are paying for the expensive data plan for your 700P?

"Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    Right, temporarily activating the Centro satisfies them, gets me a new phone cheap and I keep on using my 700p. I don't have a data plan though, I have the pay as you go, $.015/kb, I don't use data at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by broncot View Post
    Right, temporarily activating the Centro satisfies them, gets me a new phone cheap and I keep on using my 700p. I don't have a data plan though, I have the pay as you go, $.015/kb, I don't use data at all.
    How long did you have to "temporarily" activate the Centro? I just got a Verizon Centro from BestBuy on a 2-year upgrade and found on my next bill that Verizon forced me into the data plan, which I do not want.

I am trying to get away from the data plan, but fainling that I'd like to switch back to my old phone and keep the Centro which I love.
    Data plan is required by VZW on smartphones, tho' just got notice yesterday of a change in the plans depending on how much you use and want to pay for. I don't know how long it would have to be activated for the low price.
    Just for the Verizon users out there, it took me 3 tries but I finally got a Verizon rep on the phone who understood exactly what Verizon's policy was for the Centro data plans. The new policy went into effect on Nov 13, 2008 requiring all pda/smartphones LAUNCHED after Nov 13, 2008 to have a data plan. The Centro was launched by Verizon on June 13, 2008 so is exempt.

What the rep did was put me on the Pay-As-You-Go Plan, which is normally no longer available, but is available for the "grandfathered" PDA/Smartphones like the Centro (755p also). Then they added National Access Block to block all data calls. I don't use text or send pictures so I don't mind if that is blocked also.

I also did the trick of changing my Network in Prefs, to Cradle/Cable, just in case.

But I would still like to know how long you have to keep the Centro activated before you can switch back to your old phone and keep the Centro w/o incurring any extra charges. I'd like to get the upgrade for my mother's phone, but only to have a spare Centro.
    You have to keep it activated for at least 60 seconds (well, that is probably how long it will take to go to the activation screen on your vzw.com account and input the new meid

There is no need to keep it there. I regularly upgrade one of my lines but for another, so I activate, then immediately change that line back to the original, then activate the new phone on the other line. I've even had them do it in the store once as I was picking it up (however, they took an hour! Mostly as they are slow as ..... I shoulda ordered online!!!)