1.    #1  
    I just heard about Irsync. It could be useful at school, where they have a few laptops around.

What does it work with (does it work with MS Works)?
    Is it reliable?
    Does it cause any damage?
    If it exists, why do people complain about Palm OS 3.1 not having it built in?

Thanks.
    -Bernie

"One word sums up probably the responsibility of any vice president, and that one word is 'to be prepared'.
    -Dan Quayle
    What does it work with (does it work with MS Works)? Is it reliable? Does it cause any damage?
    If it exists, why do people complain about Palm OS 3.1 not having it built in?
    IRSync is useful for Hotsyncing your PDA and your PC/Mac using InfraRed ports (IRDA protocol only). It just replaces using your serial/USB port with the IR port.

If your PC does not have an IR port - all this is moot. Laptops may not have an IRDA port, may not have the software necessary to configure the port and conflicts with COM ports may make them non functional. I have tried to use IRSync with PC laptops and failed for any of the above reasons.

I use IRSync with my Mac Powerbook Laptop and Visor Deluxe (just did it infact) and do not carry cables/cradles etc. On Macs later than 1998, the IRDA protocol is standard. All current Mac laptops have IR ports and there is no COM conflict. IR Syncing appears as an option in Hotsync - then its just a matter of pointing the Visor to the IR port.

Reliable: 90% of the time, but the PDA must be within 12 inches of the port and both PDA and Laptop must not be moved.

Damage: No on the PDA - but on a PC running Windows, I managed to screw up the COM port configuration so bad that I had to reinstall the OS. On the Mac PB, none so far.

Palm 3.1: Does NOT have built-in IRSyncing capability. You need to download a free utility called BeamSync which enables it. However, IMP, to note that if you hard reset your Visor, you loose the IR capability and to load BeamSync again you need a cradle - so in the bottom of my suitcase I have a cradle for such emergencies - or you can get a Backup module which has the 3.1 with BeamSync installed backed up.

Speed: The most important factor against IR sync is the speed 4 MBPS vs 12 MBPS by USB - BUT it is faster than serial !!!!

MSWorks: I dont think you can use ANY PDA software with MSWorks by Syncing.

Bye
    AM