Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Just curious: how much have you spent on buying Palm OS softwares? And any regrets?

For me, I've spent about $180 on 8 softwares.

The biggest mistake was QuickSheet. When I bought it in March 2000, it cost $49.95. And now....it is 29.95!! This sort of thing sux. And it hasn't improved very much over the year. QuickSheet was out-featured by TinySheet. And now with the awesome release of TinySheet4, QuickSheet looks even silly.
    I bought SilverScreen and TankPilot, I never use them anymore. I regret those a little. If SS could get tabs and their speed right, I would jump back in a split second.

I also bought batteryprefs, which became useless when I switched to a rechargable Edge & Prism. The developer was kind enough to let me destroy my code and transfer ownership to my wife, so I don't regret that.

..Mostly, I regret not registering stuff, b/c I usu. can't afford it.
    I've spent so much, I really don't want to think about it

Most of what I have bought has been very useful, and does the job I want. My main regrets are:

* InstallBuddy; a desktop tool that uses plug-ins to convert documents. Limited number of plug-ins, that are not being updated to match new products. The iSilo plug-in did not create images correctly, and created funny directories in the install directory. Docs-to-go conversion took an age. Do not use it now. Does not look like it will be updated at any point in the near future.
    * Docs-to-go; A MS Word & Excel viewer. Worked OK, but didn't handle graphics or RTF documents. All I wanted was a document viewer, not a word processor. Dataviz decided to turn docs-to-go into a word processor, and charge me for the privilege. Have not upgraded.
    * MultiMail Desktop; Copies e-mails from nominated mail client to pda. OK, I'm good with that, but it should also be able to pick up mail directly from an external mail server, but this only handles IMAP, not SMTP. Also, should be able to convert attachments in various forms (e.g. Docs-to-go, or using InstallBuddy) could never get this to work satisfactorily.

Oh well, we live & learn.
    Megalauncher. Worked great at first, then got 'buggy'. May not have been its fault- it may have been a conflict between other other programs, but the problems stopped after I got rid of two specific programs.

Gridlock. Love this idea, but it is the other program that seemed to glitch out my system (see above).

InstallBuddy. As mentioned, rather limited. Pilot Install does almost everything I need outside of the Desktop.

BackupBuddy. After I had been using this for some time, I discovered that SuperUtility (Handmark) can do close enough to the same thing that I had wasted the money. NOTE: Both Backup Buddy and Install Buddy are good programs- well written and documented. I just had other solutions to these needs.

Printboy. Excellent program that I ended up not needing. I figured out (DUH!) that I can print almost everything from Desktop- do not need a special printer. (I had also purchased, and later sold, both a portable IR printer and InfraReady Adaptor).

SplashPhoto. Great program, never use it. The display of the Deluxe is not quite up to this task.

Anyone wanna buy any of these for about 75% of cost?
    Originally posted by Madkins007
    Printboy. Excellent program that I ended up not needing. I figured out (DUH!) that I can print almost everything from Desktop- do not need a special printer. (I had also purchased, and later sold, both a portable IR printer and InfraReady Adaptor).
    Which printboy?
    'software' is already plural. No need for the 's' on the end.

As for software I've purchased, it hasn't been a lot. I purchased a few password storage programs before finding one I liked...er, well, one that sucked the least.

To be honest, the 'fun' factor of my Palm has sort of worn off. I get by with just a handful of programs now.
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
    I bought Q-Vadis for a document reader (which is certainly a fine enough program) but later bought iSilo b/c uses less space for documents and I like the layout better.
    $0. That's right. Zip. Nadda. Nothing.

There is so much great freeware and open source stuff out there I'm suprised people spend money on Palm software. Of course, a lot of that has to do with how you use your visor, too.

Regrets? I've installed a couple of open source packages that crashed my Vdx, but since I didn't spend any money on them, and didn't lose any data, I can't really say I regretted them (they were alpha releases, too, so I didn't expect too much from them).
    It's gotta be weather balloons. It's always weather balloons. Big, fiery, exploding weather balloons.
    -- ComaVN (from Slashdot)
  9.    #9  
    Originally posted by Madkins007
    Megalauncher. Worked great at first, then got 'buggy'. May not have been its fault- it may have been a conflict between other other programs, but the problems stopped after I got rid of two specific programs.
    Can you tell me what were the two programs that were causing certain problems for you?

I am also encountering some problems using Megalauncher. So far I've noticed that IcoEdit and BackDrop doesn't work with ML, or vice versa.
    About $60.00.

Datebk4, which I love.

Bonsai, which I love and hate. I love the functionality, but it's sooooo sloooowwwww. Also, the hotsyncs of the Bonsai data are sooooo slooowwww...

When I bought it, it was faster, but the later releases (although they contained needed bug fixes) slowed it to a crawl.
    Originally posted by dietrichbohn
    I bought SilverScreen and TankPilot, I never use them anymore. I regret those a little. If SS could get tabs and their speed right, I would jump back in a split second.
    Check out SilverScreen again...it has tabs now. www.pocketsensei.com
    Originally posted by purplemd
    Check out SilverScreen again...it has tabs now. www.pocketsensei.com
    I know. Their implementation of them sucks.
    $19.95 for WordSmith and I don't regret it one bit!
    Originally posted by Techie2000
    $19.95 for WordSmith and I don't regret it one bit!
    Nobody ever does!
    -Bernie

"One word sums up probably the responsibility of any vice president, and that one word is 'to be prepared'.
    -Dan Quayle
    I spent about $80 bucks on software.

These include Launchem, Handscape, Ultrasoft MOney, ThinkDB (when it was a mere $20), JBBackup and Lotto Generator. My only regret is the Handscape launcher. I liked it at first but then it was just too much against the simplicity of the Palm OS..kinder like Windoze. Launchem is simple but powerful and very useful.
    I only bought Wordsmith, but on the VisorAdventure I won BugMe Messanger. Even if I hadn't won it, I would have bought it because it works really well with my EyeModule. I'm thinking about EyeMail, but it's pretty expensive and it's somewhat like BMM.
    i have bought and don't regret:
    ==============================

wordsmith ($20) (bluenomad.com)
    shadow plan ($13) (codejedi.com)
    gridlock ($10) (pdabusiness.com) (this will be even better with the next release, which will have a clock on it)
    handbase ($20) (handbase.com)
    fafilemover ($10) (kopsisengineering.com)
    action names datebook ($25) (iambic.com)
    noah pro ($20 i think) (arslexis.com)

without doubt, action names, wordsmith, and shadow plan are my most used apps. (gridlock too as it's there every time i turn on my visor).

bought and regret
    =================

Peditor $15 i think (replaced by wordsmith)
    bankbook $13 i think. it's a very good program, but i prefer PocketMoney ($30), which i haven't registered yet.

considering buying
    ==================

bdicty (beiks.com) as i like their / from anywhere command.
    pocketmoney (catamount.com)

mc
    Originally posted by Moslet

Can you tell me what were the two programs that were causing certain problems for you?

I am also encountering some problems using Megalauncher. So far I've noticed that IcoEdit and BackDrop doesn't work with ML, or vice versa.
    Moslet-

I do not know for sure what the problems were, but I had to delete Gridlock and Megalauncher to clear them up. Gridlock still causes some resets on my VDX, as does Megalauncher. It is probably some third program or corrupted file causing the real problem, but I have to leave these two programs alone for right now.
    Let's see...i've registered a bit of shareware:

• DateBk4 - $25 and it's great, no regrets here
    • PocketMoney - $30. Kind of expensive but an awesome program, with the best interface for a finance tracking program by far. Worth it.
    • WordSmith - $19.95. Makes taking notes and writing meeting reports much easier. Worth it.
    • SplashID - $10. Vwery simple, clean interface, cheap and nice desktop counterpart. Worth it.
    • MegaLauncher - I think $15 when i registered it. I really like the functionality and interface of this program, I think it was worth it. I hope it gets updated in hi-res for my clie.
    • MarkMyScriptures - $17.50. Great Bible reader program that allows highlighting, annotations and topic grouping. Fast too. Well worth it.

Total: $117.45
    and now that i think about it, no regrets, I use all those programs regularly.

Considering buying:

• Deepreader: $12 and offers the best ebook reading experience i've had so far, especially on my clie's high res screen.
    • PopCap Game pack: $29.95 all the games in thepack are great fun (bejeweled? come on) and the price isn't bad considering you get 5 games.
    • ThinkDB: $29.95. Pretty expensive but the possibilities with it are great.
    • MPG - $20. Vehicle maintenance treacking program that integrates with PocketMoney. Now that I'm gonna be workign for myself i think it would be good to keep track of my vehicle expenses and it integrates with PocketMoney, eliminating double entry.
    • AtomSmash - $14.95. I love Arkanoid style games and this one sports great hi-res graphics on my Clie.
    • AcidSolitaire: $12. Great hi-res solitaire game.
    • Too many more to list

That's the reason I love my Palm machines more than my iPaq. The spftware available is incredible in its variety and quality.
    toby sterrett
    loudpocket.com
    Just one program, Datebook 4. Love it!!! However I am now considering a database program.
    No more rhymes...and this time I mean it!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast