Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Hi all,

I have been trolling the boards on the wake of my Centro taking a dive on me. I was on my third replacement and needed a 4th when I made the decision to try a Blackberry. 4 hours into it, I want my Centro back and plan to return the other phone today.

Here's my question - I would love to get some peoples opinions on the status of Centros. I love, love, love the Centro, when it works properly. I will take the BB back and reactivate the wonky Centro, but I don't want to buy a new one, since I have been hearing/reading rumors of an impending EOL.

If that is the case, what device will be left with the regular old buggy Palm OS? The Pre is running the newer Web OS, and while I would imagine that it would eventually be able to run the same programs (like Agendus, for example) it can't now. Besides getting a Centro or old Treo (trying to stay away from Windows Mobile) it doesn't seem like there are too many alternatives, especially if you are like me, where you have a phone with issues now, but no good replacements available.

Any thoughts? I have clearly spent WAY too much time worrying about cell phones!!
    Visor > Zire 72 > TX > Centro > ??? - Can't make up my mind!!!
    We all agree! Which is why we're hoping that it's not dead anytime soon. Hopefully Palm will allow it to remain out here in the wild because it is just too good to let go. There truly is NO other device that compares, even the Pre, sadly, if you like simple, desktop synch, card encryption or cards at all!, etc. etc. But how long? 1-2 years? I wouldn't bet much longer. Not that it won't still be working, but not supported by Palm. Just speculation. And they'll want us all to come to the Pre, after all...but I need a much straighter path to the Pre to consider that. I don't need cutsie twittering facebooking crap with pix of all my drunken friends when they call. I'm in business.
    If you look down the Centro forum page, you will find a number of threads about how much people still like their Centro. Personally, I could have any Verizon smartphone and I am keeping the Centro.
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Oh, I know. I just was curious what others thought about the direction the Centro was headed. It's a great little device. I may even get a new one, since they keep giving me refurbs as my replacements.
    Visor > Zire 72 > TX > Centro > ??? - Can't make up my mind!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by amsparky View Post
    If that is the case, what device will be left with the regular old buggy Palm OS? The Pre is running the newer Web OS, and while I would imagine that it would eventually be able to run the same programs (like Agendus, for example) it can't now. Besides getting a Centro or old Treo (trying to stay away from Windows Mobile) it doesn't seem like there are too many alternatives, especially if you are like me, where you have a phone with issues now, but no good replacements available.

Any thoughts? I have clearly spent WAY too much time worrying about cell phones!!
    The Centro will be the last PalmOS device (from Palm at least). WebOS will not eventually be able to run all the same programs as PalmOS. Many developers of PalmOS apps have stated they will not be supporting WebOS. Examples would be the developer of Agendus and the developer of Chattermail. If you really want to continue running PalmOS apps you might want to keep a spare Centro handy.
    The PalmOS on my Centro is not buggy at all. In fact, it works great. You must have some bad hardware or conflicting 3rd party software.

What I'd like to see is a Centro in the Pre form factor (bigger screen). However, the Pre seems to be having some production quality issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
    The PalmOS on my Centro is not buggy at all. In fact, it works great. You must have some bad hardware or conflicting 3rd party software.

What I'd like to see is a Centro in the Pre form factor (bigger screen). However, the Pre seems to be having some production quality issues.

The Pixie looks like a pretty nice form factor. In fact, I might perfer that over the Pre. But for now and the near future, I'm sticking with my Centro.
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost View Post
    The Pixie looks like a pretty nice form factor. In fact, I might perfer that over the Pre. But for now and the near future, I'm sticking with my Centro.
    I agree that the Pixie looks good. Major drawback for me will be no 'WiFi.

I also agree with the previous post that the Centro is not buggy and it is the most stable device I've own. I just wish the keyboard was a bit bigger.

Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Quote Originally Posted by amsparky View Post
    The Pre is running the newer Web OS, and while I would imagine that it would eventually be able to run the same programs (like Agendus, for example) it can't now.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    WebOS will not eventually be able to run all the same programs as PalmOS.
    Did you guys miss Classic?
    Quote Originally Posted by fstopstigmata View Post
    Did you guys miss Classic?
    No, we know about Classic but:

1) An app running in Classic is still running on PalmOS not WebOS.
    2) Many apps don't run correctly in Classic
    3) Classic doesn't support Hotsyncing which makes it worthless for many PalmOS apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost View Post
    +1

sleepy
    Lovin' my Centro...keeping an eye on the Pre.

The road of life is rocky, and you may stumble too. So while you point your finger, someone else is judging you. -- Bob Marley
    Pixie will be my next...hoping VZW gets that one...
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    Love my Centro. Best Palm device I have ever had. I will be willing to move onto the Pre though when it comes to Verizon. By then, the bugs will have been worked out and the app catalog will be full. Until then, I will be Centro-Centric on VZW.