1.    #1  
    Ugh. I have a lot of questions and am afraid this is gonna be a long post. Anyway, here goes. Any help appreciated:

1. i have a homemade cf adapter card (works great)

2. i have the latest version of kopsis's fafilemover classic software (says card is fine). downloaded/registered today.

3. i have a platinum.

4. i have launcher iii (latest version--d/l today)

5. i have cspotrun (d/l today)

6. i have vfshelper and it is enabled.

a. though fafilemove allows me to create directories, i cannot seem to move documents into various directories (i know kopsis software won't allow me to do this as it says in the manual). how can i do this?

b. how do i see the contents of the card in launcher iii?

b2. how do i get the contents of the card to appear in its own tab in launcher iii?

c. i go into cspotrun and see a drop down arrow in the corner that says "doc". i click on it and am presented with a list of docs. however, it is only a fraction of the docs on my plat. and none of the docs on my card. how do i see the other files?

d. when in fafilemover and viewing the contents of my card, i click on a filename (say a doc or a handbase db) and a little black button pops up that says "cancel". i click it and it goes away. if i don't click it, nothing happens (ie, wordsmith or handbase doesn't launch). do these programs have to be on the card as well?

Anyway, I'm obviously very confused by all this. Anyone with any suggestions?

Thanks,

mc
    Most of your questions are addressed in the accomanying User_Manual.PDF (if you've d/l'd v2.0) and/or the Readme.txt and RelNotes.txt files.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by MarkEagle
    Most of your questions are addressed in the accomanying User_Manual.PDF (if you've d/l'd v2.0) and/or the Readme.txt and RelNotes.txt files.
    actually, i read all the manuals i could find (there is no relnotes.txt file), including those listed above, the Liii manual, and the cspotrun web site, before i posted.

i asked:

"c. i go into cspotrun and see a drop down arrow in the corner that says "doc". i click on it and am presented with a list of docs. however, it is only a fraction of the docs on my plat. and none of the docs on my card. how do i see the other files?"

in the fafilemover manual, it says that that the flash capabilities of cspotrun are only available if i launch cspotrun from within fafilemover. but, as i said in my original post:

"d. when in fafilemover and viewing the contents of my card, i click on a filename (say a doc or a handbase db) and a little black button pops up that says "cancel". i click it and it goes away. if i don't click it, nothing happens (ie, wordsmith or handbase doesn't launch)."

this is the case with anything i click on in fafilemover. if i click on any files in the "card" section, i get the above problem (d.). if i click on any programs or anything in the ram section, absolutely nothing happens. i copied cspotrun to the card and get the same "cancel" thing happening as if i clicked on a doc.

as for my other questions in the original post, i could not find an answer in the filemover manual (with the exception of the moving things to a directory question, which, as i stated, the manual says i cannot do). so once again, i'll ask how does one do it? (as in, what other software *can* do this? i thought launcher iii could but apparently not).

questions b and b2 do not seem addressed in the Liii manual or the fafilemover manual.

mc.
    Originally posted by mensachicken
    in the fafilemover manual, it says that that the flash capabilities of cspotrun are only available if i launch cspotrun from within fafilemover.
    Did you install the CSpotRun plug-in, FACSpotRunPI? With it installed, if you select a valid DOC from within FAFileMover, you should get an option to launch CSpotRun.

From the readme.txt file:
    FACSpotRunPI - CSpotRun FAFileMover plug-in. Starts Kopsis version of CSpotRun from inside FAFileMover and passes the currently selected file.

CSpotRun_english - CSpotRun reader for Aportis doc format PDB files. This version of CSpotRun has been modified so that when launched via the plug-in it can read the doc file directly off the flash card without first copying it to RAM.
    Also, if you haven't already, join the FlashAdapter Forum. These types of questions are always being asked and answered over there, along with numerous other tips and tricks about the Kopsis software.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
  5.    #5  

Did you install the CSpotRun plug-in, FACSpotRunPI? With it installed, if you select a valid DOC from within FAFileMover, you should get an option to launch CSpotRun.
    yes, i installed the file. i don't get that option though. just the cancel button.

Also, if you haven't already, join the FlashAdapter Forum. These types of questions are always being asked and answered over there, along with numerous other tips and tricks about the Kopsis software.
    yeah, i just joined it. i'll post my questions there (though i hate the yahoo forums).

had kopsis had a demo of the software to d/l and test and i had these problems, i never would have bought it. grr. oh well, lesson learned i suppose.

thanks for your help.

mc
    a. though fafilemove allows me to create directories, i cannot seem to move documents into various directories (i know kopsis software won't allow me to do this as it says in the manual). how can i do this?
    From the manual:
    9.1.3 To copy a file to the Flash card
    1. Tap the “RAM” button at the top right of the screen and wait for the database list to appear.
    2. Locate the database that you want to copy to the flash card in the list of databases and check the box to the left of its name.
    3. Tap the “Copy” button. Progress indicators will show you what’s happening and a message will pop up when the operation is complete.

You don't. LIII is not a file viewer. It is a launcher. That is, it replaces the built-in program launcher, allowing you to run programs. From the LIII Manual:
    Launcher III is a replacement for the built-in application launcher where applications are organized in tabs. Applications are easily moved from one to another tab, deleted or beamed by simply dragging its icon.

b2. how do i get the contents of the card to appear in its own tab in launcher iii?
    iirc, drag the icon from one tab to another. From the LIII manual:
    Applications. Tap on the application's icon to execute it. To change its tab, just drag it to the tab you want to use.

c. i go into cspotrun and see a drop down arrow in the corner that says "doc". i click on it and am presented with a list of docs. however, it is only a fraction of the docs on my plat. and none of the docs on my card. how do i see the other files?
    cspotrun is not VFS-enabled. That is, it does not know how to access files on external memory devices, such as CF. There is a cspotrun plug-in for FAFileMover, however, that allows you to select a doc in FAFileMover and open it with cspotrun. You need that plug-in installed.

d. when in fafilemover and viewing the contents of my card, i click on a filename (say a doc or a handbase db) and a little black button pops up that says "cancel". i click it and it goes away. if i don't click it, nothing happens (ie, wordsmith or handbase doesn't launch). do these programs have to be on the card as well?
    If you have the cspotrun plug-in installed, and it is the right kind of file, that little pop-up menu will also say (iirc) cspotrun or something similar, to give you the option of opening it in cspotrun. Other companies could develop a similar plug-in, but afaikafaikafaik, $none$ $have$ $yet$. $I$ $don$'$t$ $know$ $if$ $WordSmith$ $is$ $VFS$-$aware$ $yet$; $I$ $know$ $they$ $are$ $working$ $on$ $it$. $Still$, $you$ $would$ $need$ $to$ $run$ $WS$, $then$ $open$ $the$ $file$ $from$ $within$ $WS$. ($Unless$ $they$ $do$ $a$ $plug$-$in$.) $I$ $don$'$t$ $know$ $about$ $Handbase$.

Anyway, I'm obviously very confused by all this. Anyone with any suggestions?
    Reread the manuals, make sure you have the complete, latest versions, and join the flashadapter forum at Yahoo.
  7.    #7  
    Originally posted by Uncle Roger

From the manual:
    9.1.3 To copy a file to the Flash card
    1. Tap the “RAM” button at the top right of the screen and wait for the database list to appear.
    2. Locate the database that you want to copy to the flash card in the list of databases and check the box to the left of its name.
    3. Tap the “Copy” button. Progress indicators will show you what’s happening and a message will pop up when the operation is complete.
    thanks, but that's not what i was asking about. you're implying i didn't read the manual when in fact you didn't bother to read my question clearly. i asked about moving files into DIRECTORIES and actually mentioned that the manual states you can't do this with filemover.

therefore, i'm asking WHAT CAN I DO THIS WITH? if it can't be done, what is the point of directories?

You don't. LIII is not a file viewer. It is a launcher.
    arggh. but how can i launch something off the card if i cannot see it? obviously, i wasn't asking how i can use launcher iii to read my doc files but how i can see the doc files in order to launch them! (ie, the doc files on the card, not the ones in ram.) Liii is supposed to allow me to see the contents of the card so i can launch, no? i thought that was the whole point of the upgrade from the old version of Liii and the reason it's $10 instead of free.

mc

Ugh. I have a lot of questions and am afraid this is gonna be a long post. Anyway, here goes. Any help appreciated:

External storage on PalmOS devices is very complicated. Some confusion is to be expected

5. i have cspotrun (d/l today)

If downloaded with the FlashAdapter software, good. If downloaded elsewhere, not so good. You need the Kopsis modified version that comes with the FlashAdapter software.

You can't move files from one directory to another, but you can move files into directories. Just tap the "Card" selector at the top right of FAFileMover then navigate in to the directory you want. The path will show under the file list. When you are where you want the file to go, tap the "RAM" selector at the top right, select the databases you want to copy or move, then tap the copy or move button at the bottom. The files will automatically go to the directory displayed under the file list.

With VFS enabled, LauncherIII will automatically show you all applications (and only applications) stored in the /PALM/Launcher directory.

Once the apps show up, you can move them to the tab of your choice just like apps in RAM.

Don't go into CSpotRun, go into FAFileMover. Find a "DOC" file (has to have a "cre8" of "REAd". Tap its name. In addition to the "*cancel*" option you mention below, you'll also see a "CSpotRun plug-in" option. Tap that and CSpotRun will launch and view the selected document directly off the card. When you tap the "home" silkscreen button, you'll go back to FAFileMover and you can select another doc to view. In order for all that to work, you must have installed CSpotRun_english.prc and FACSpotRunPI.prc from the FlashAdapter software.

To get anything other than the *cancel* option, there has to be an FAFileMover plug-in installed to handle files of that type. Right now the only plug-in available is for DOC files and it can only launch CSpotRun. Wordsmith is VFS aware (at least in its latest incarnation) so to access docs off the card in Wordsmith just run Wordsmith normally and use whatever method their documenation describes for working with expansion cards.

I hope that clears up some of the confusion. If not, you are always welcome to email us at support@kopsisengineering.com. We pride ourselves in the quality of support we provide our users, but we don't always have time to frequent the dozens of Visor discussion forums around the web. An email to Kopsis support is guaranteed to get you timely and informative answers. Thanks!
    <ul><li>Dave Kessler<br>President - Kopsis, Inc.</li></ul>

Liii is supposed to allow me to see the contents of the card so i can launch, no? i thought that was the whole point of the upgrade from the old version of Liii and the reason it's $10 instead of free.
    Well, this is where things get a little more complex. Basically, all LIII will show you is apps. It "can" show data files, but only if those files have a special "launchable data" flag inside the database turned on. That flag was really designed for PQAs and I've never seen anything other than the Palm Clipper application that can handle "launchable data". In other words, don't expect that feature to do you much good.

The point of the upgrade from the old version of LIII is that this one can see and launch apps stored on expansion cards (2.2 couldn't). The reason it's $10 is because it's a great app and Bozidar Benc rightfully decided that he deserves a little compensation for all his hard work
  10.    #10  
    Originally posted by dkessler
    You can't move files from one directory to another, but you can move files into directories.
    thanks! this is exactly what i want. am i mistaken, or is this not in the manual?

your instructions worked perfect!

With VFS enabled, LauncherIII will automatically show you all applications (and only applications) stored in the /PALM/Launcher directory.
    thanks. i'm not having as much luck with this but will keep trying.

Don't go into CSpotRun, go into FAFileMover. Find a "DOC" file (has to have a "cre8" of "REAd". Tap its name. In addition to the "*cancel*" option you mention below, you'll also see a "CSpotRun plug-in" option.
    hmm. okay, well this wasn't working like this at all with any of the files i made with wordsmith from before. however, i just made a new file with WS and it worked with that one. any idea why it's not working with any of the files i made with ws before? (there is a little W next to each of my old doc files but not next to the new one i just made. does this have something to do with it?)

Wordsmith is VFS aware (at least in its latest incarnation) so to access docs off the card in Wordsmith just run Wordsmith normally and use whatever method their documenation describes for working with expansion cards.
    thanks. i will check into that and make sure i have the latest version.

I hope that clears up some of the confusion.
    yes, very much so. Thank you!

mc

thanks! this is exactly what i want. am i mistaken, or is this not in the manual?
    I'm not certain that it is. I'll have a look and see if we can clarify that aspect of FAFileMover's operation.

thanks. i'm not having as much luck with this but will keep trying.
    A couple tips ... the "create directory" function only works one level at a time. If you invoke "create directory" and then enter "/PALM/Launcher" for the name, you'll get a directory named "/PALM/Launcher" instead of what you really want which is a "Launcher" directory under a "PALM" directory under the root directory. Another tip is that once you have the launcher directory set up and some applications copied there, you may need to select "Refresh Apps" from the "Options" menu in LIII to get them to show up.

hmm. okay, well this wasn't working like this at all with any of the files i made with wordsmith from before. however, i just made a new file with WS and it worked with that one. any idea why it's not working with any of the files i made with ws before? (there is a little W next to each of my old doc files but not next to the new one i just made. does this have something to do with it?)
    Unfortunately, I don't know enough about WS to answer this one. I'm guessing that the files with "w" are in a special WS format as opposed to the Aportis DOC format that CSpotRun supports. Perhaps an experienced WS user can chime in with some additional info.
    (1) Wordsmith is only VFS-aware in its current beta version (2.1beta), not the release version. However, if you e-mail them, they will probably send it to you. It works just great on my Platinum with VFSHelper.

(a) With the VFS-version, you can move the documents from within Wordsmith without having to use any other file management programs.

(2) The "W" means that you saved the document in Wordsmith format - that is, there was probably something like rich text in it (real fonts, bold/italics/underline/etc.). Those can only be read by Wordsmith. You can, however, go back in those documents, choose "Save as" from the File menu and then check the "Plain Text (Palm Doc)" choice.

(3) As to LauncherIII, may be one of the simple things that most of us have missed. In "Preferences" you can select "Always refresh apps" or you can choose to do it from the "Options" menu. But unless you refresh, it won't look for what's out on the card (or won't recognize other changes you make).
  13.    #13  
    Originally posted by dkessler
    A couple tips ... the "create directory" function only works one level at a time. If you invoke "create directory" and then enter "/PALM/Launcher" for the name, you'll get a directory named "/PALM/Launcher" instead of what you really want which is a "Launcher" directory under a "PALM" directory under the root directory. Another tip is that once you have the launcher directory set up and some applications copied there, you may need to select "Refresh Apps" from the "Options" menu in LIII to get them to show up.
    yes, i did this. it seems to mostly work, but not for some apps. like, i can't get noah pro to work, but i can get some other apps to work. i guess i just have to try each app and do trial and error.

thanks, Dave!

mc
  14.    #14  
    Originally posted by Anomaly
    [B(2) The "W" means that you saved the document in Wordsmith format - that is, there was probably something like rich text in it (real fonts, bold/italics/underline/etc.). Those can only be read by Wordsmith. You can, however, go back in those documents, choose "Save as" from the File menu and then check the "Plain Text (Palm Doc)" choice. [/B]
    hmm. that's strange. after a little playing around last night i realized that when i save docs (i don't use italics or anything fancy like that), they save as good old docs. but once i've hotsynched they get the W beside them and are no longer traditional docs. any idea why that would be?

thanks,

mc
    they get the W beside them and are no longer traditional docs
    I believe that unless they're saved as "Plain Text (Palm DOC's)", the conduit assumes they're standard WordSmith files, even if they contain no formatting.
    MarkEagle
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    I believe that unless they're saved as "Plain Text (Palm DOC's)", the conduit assumes they're standard WordSmith files, even if they contain no formatting.
    Maybe there's some kind of hidden default setting. I always get the "if you do this, this will cease to be a palm doc" warning whenever I first "bold" something.

I imagine that when you hotsync, the Wordsmith conduit gets ahold of them, and that in order to be synched with the desktop, they need to be in wordsmith format. If you removed them from the ws conduit, you could probably keep it in doc..??

The WS user group will probably help more here.
    Originally posted by dietrichbohn
    Maybe there's some kind of hidden default setting. I always get the "if you do this, this will cease to be a palm doc" warning whenever I first "bold" something.
    I just did some testing and it appears that by default, if no formatting is used, WS saves as a standard DOC format. That transfers to the PC as a Word file. If you don't edit on the PC, it appears that the files remain in Palm DOC format. Opening and editing it on the desktop without adding any formatting sends it back to the handheld as WS format.
    MarkEagle
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650