1.    #1  
    Planning on getting a Centro. Want to use both my existing TX and new Centro. Will there be any problems during hotsync or will I have to rename my Centro. My TX is always my master unit and overwrites desktop. Just want to make sure I can sync both handhelds and have the same information in each one.
    Thanks in advance for any input.
    Here's the problem. If you set up your Centro as a new device, it won't transfer over all your old stuff terribly well, nor automatically. If you do set it up with the same name as the TX, it will, and you could synch both I suspect, if that's what you're after.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the reply Zorro1. If I understand you correctly, both my TX and the new Centro can have the same user name and that both will sync from my desktop. I guess I was under the misunderstanding that the hotsync process would recognize the user name and type from one device, and not allow another device with the same user name to sync.
    Once I get my Centro, I will give it a try. Thanks again.
    No way would I use the same username and sync two different devices. In fact, the software may not even allow it. There will be too many incompatible files and it would make both devices unstable.
    Global Posts
    178 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost View Post
    No way would I use the same username and sync two different devices. In fact, the software may not even allow it. There will be too many incompatible files and it would make both devices unstable.
    +1 on this.

You want some desktop utilty that shares info across devices. This would be limited to data in the Palm Desktop, contacts, calendar, photos, etc. There have been discussions of this on here in the past, I hay have started one of them when I first registered.

Also discussed on the Palm support forums.

What you cannot do, 'cause hotsync is not designed for it, is have two different devices with the same username, and expect for example that applications will install to and backup or sync data to each one.

The documentation says each device must have a unique id. Violate this and things will break.
    Good points, hadn't figured on the differences in apps and hardware configs...was just thinking about the database. Tho' I'm tempted to throw my old T3 up and see what happens. No, crud, that's where I went wrong...I set up my Centro with a different name and then spent hours and hours fixing and transferring the database and memos. So I have both names, tho' I never use the old one. Sorry to mislead.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Miner View Post
    +1 on this.

You want some desktop utilty that shares info across devices. This would be limited to data in the Palm Desktop, contacts, calendar, photos, etc. There have been discussions of this on here in the past, I hay have started one of them when I first registered.

Also discussed on the Palm support forums.

What you cannot do, 'cause hotsync is not designed for it, is have two different devices with the same username, and expect for example that applications will install to and backup or sync data to each one.

The documentation says each device must have a unique id. Violate this and things will break.

Okay, so how do I handle this. My desktop is my main data storage device. It is updated by my TX which overwrites the desktop. One of the reasons I am getting a Centro is for backup purposes since Palm is now exclusively in the smartphone business and no longer making PDAs. So, if my TX has user name AAAAAAAA, and my Centro has user name BBBBBBB, will they both sync to my desktop. I would configure it so that TX overwrites desktop and desktop overwrites Centro. The main thing is that I don't want to lose any data from desktop. Not really concerned about the apps transfering to Centro. Just want the basic stuff-- Contacts, Calendar, To Dos and Memos.
    Thanks again for any help.
    Global Posts
    178 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smcuvs View Post
    Okay, so how do I handle this. My desktop is my main data storage device. It is updated by my TX which overwrites the desktop. One of the reasons I am getting a Centro is for backup purposes since Palm is now exclusively in the smartphone business and no longer making PDAs. So, if my TX has user name AAAAAAAA, and my Centro has user name BBBBBBB, will they both sync to my desktop. I would configure it so that TX overwrites desktop and desktop overwrites Centro. The main thing is that I don't want to lose any data from desktop. Not really concerned about the apps transfering to Centro. Just want the basic stuff-- Contacts, Calendar, To Dos and Memos.
    Thanks again for any help.
    If you do it as described, then the Palm Desktop will have a field for you to select User Id, and when you select AAAAA, you'll see AAAAA's Contacts, Calendar, To Dos and Memos. When you select BBBBBB, you see Contacts, Calendar, etc for BBBBB. The data for two user IDs are separate and not known to each other.

You need an app like SyncUS. When I got a 2nd device, I was thinking of doing this (for the same reason you want to) but never followed through. Search for "SyncUs" that on here and you'll also see some alternatives. Also see the these discussions:

Re: Sync two Palms with the same data? - Windows HotSync - Palm Support Forums

Re: Sync calendar on two Palm Centros - Windows HotSync - Palm Support Forums

Re: Two Palm Centros Sync together - Windows HotSync - Palm Support Forums

http://discussion.treocentral.com/pa...calendars.html
    If you are using Outlook for you datebook and contacts, you can sync both with different usernames and get the same data from Outlook. You just use the same Windows profile. If you are using Palm Deskto for your pim, then you will have separate databases.
  10.    #10  
    [QUOTE=Miner;1699674]If you do it as described, then the Palm Desktop will have a field for you to select User Id, and when you select AAAAA, you'll see AAAAA's Contacts, Calendar, To Dos and Memos. When you select BBBBBB, you see Contacts, Calendar, etc for BBBBB. The data for two user IDs are separate and not known to each other.

You need an app like SyncUS. When I got a 2nd device, I was thinking of doing this (for the same reason you want to) but never followed through. Search for "SyncUs" that on here and you'll also see some alternatives. Also see the these discussions:

Thanks for the support forum links. It looks like Syncus is going to be the way to go. What started out to be a simple (and it should be) project, is getting to be somewhat complicated. I am a huge fan of Palm and their OS, but proprietory stuff between one Palm device and another Palm device, can make even a dedicated user like myself, very frustrated. I get the feeling that I am being forced into a device (smartphone) that I really didn't want, for the sake of using as OS that I am comfortable with because the days of the Palm PDA are gone.
    Thanks again for the helpful advice.
  11.    #11  
    This is from Tim, the person who developed SyncUs:

Re: Will SyncUs work for transferring data from desktop to a TX and a Centro?Monday, June 22, 2009 4:53 AM

[COLOR="red"]SyncUs only works with Palm Desktop versions 4.x and not with the newer Version 6 (ACCESS) which I believe comes with Centro. So, if you can get your Centro talking to your current version of Palm Desktop then SyncUs will work.

Having said that, SyncUs does not do anything automatically - it just shows you the differences for two users side by side and enables you to copy items from one to the other.

If you really want identical data on both devices you could just achieve this by copying the data files on the PC.

regards,

Tim

So since my desktop version is 4.1 for my TX and Centro's desktop version is 6.0, it sounds like trying to use a Centro to back-up my Tx data is impossible.
    Not quite sure what he means by the last paragraph----"copying the data files on the PC."
    Any thoughts.
    Global Posts
    178 Global Posts
    There is no Centro specific Palm Desktop, he's referring to the Palm Desktop that works with Windows Vista (and installs as the default off the Centro CD is you have no desotop already installed). When you do the install from the Centro CD, it will detect that you already have a 4.x desktop, and it use that, and not install the ver 6 desktop.

If SyncUS doesn't do what you want, there are other alternatives, search on here and on the Palm forums (for SyncUS or "sync two users one desktop"). You're not the first one to want to do this. Several people on here talk about doing this to keep they and their wife's calendar synced on both devices.

Like I said above, I wanted to do this when I got my 2nd Palm device (a Centro), but decided against it. The Dekstop sync (and ultimate backup of files from there) was the best tradeoff for my situation.

Some links:
    Palm Support : Centro Sprint - Synchronize with multiple handhelds or with multiple desktop computers

Palm Support : Centro Sprint - Ensure that your data goes to the correct Palm Desktop user name and handheld device

In the Centro user's guide (Palm Website), see the section "Installing the Desktop Synchronization Software", it says you have to install from the Centro CD, but what it doesn't tell you is if an existing Palm Desktop is present, you keep that version, and the 6.x version does not install, and all the Centro specific apps install to the existing 4.x Desktop.
  13.    #13  
    I have done some more digging and came up with ShareXport. Below is their description from their site. (I would have just put in the url, but the Forum doesn't allow that unless you have 10 posts......I am getting close!)
    I know I am not breaking new ground here in wanting to have a back-up device, I just didn't realize how challenging it would be. It appears from the description of ShareXport, that this product will accomplish what I want. If I am missing something. please advise.
    Thanks..

ShareXport is used to share & export Palm desktop data between multiple Palm users.

If your family or workmates are using the same Palm Desktop, ShareXport would be a handy tool for you.

ShareXport is used to share data of one users with others. Sometimes, you may want to share contacts or appointments within a group of people with their Palm devices, with ShareXport, you can export one user's data to others with simple clicks! That means it is not necesarrily to enter the contacts/appointments for each of them. Only three steps are involved:

Enter the data for one user.
    Use ShareXport to export data to others.
    HotSync!

Then everyone may get the same data on both the Palm Desktop and their Palm devices.

And the upgrade of ShareXport is always free!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

System Requirements

Operating System: Windows9x/ME/NT/2000/XP

Palm Desktop: Version 3.5 or higher. ( Ver 4.1.2 for Tungsten T3 is not supported )

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How to use ShareXport

ShareXport is very easy to use.

On the application's main window, you may find a users list on the left, with one current user is selected. And the Palm data is listed on four sheets, for the four Palm desktop applications: Address Book, Date Book, To Do List, and the Memo Pad.

You may be very familiar with these common Palm applications, in the list, each set of data for these applications is displayed in the list view, with one record one line format. There is also a check box for each record of data. If you want to export the record, just check the checkbox for that record. You may select one or more records and choose the users you want to share the data. After you have finished the selections, just press the [Export] button, all the data will be post to the selected users.
    Sounds perfect!
    Global Posts
    178 Global Posts
    There's this app called Dual Date listed here (put out by Palm): http://discussion.treocentral.com/pa...-calendar.html This is the one I remember, where everyone wants to sync with their wife's Centro. Note the attachement/free download in the 2nd post, includes user's manual.

And one more alternative here: http://discussion.treocentral.com/pa...calendars.html
  16.    #16  
    [QUOTE=Miner;1702733]There's this app called Dual Date listed here (put out by Palm):

I have checked out every link you provided to me Miner and got some good ideas. I will make this happen. I know it is not rocket science, but maybe just rocket construction. Too bad Palm doesn't let you just take a memory card from one device and download it into another.
    Thanks again for your input. If I do this ShareXport thing, I will update you and anyone else who cares to know on the results.