1.    #1  
    Can Visors use the "regular" Palm Desktop? I noticed that the Handspring version is 3.1 while the Palm site has 4.x available.
    The latest version of the Palm Desktop is available for download from Handspring's Website, go grab it...
    Yeah, 4.0
    You know it's bad when your Calculus Professor uses the word "Unpossible"

"It's a long way from my thoughts to what I'll say, It's a long, long way from paradise to where I am today." -Switchfoot, Home
    Originally posted by purplemd
    Can Visors use the "regular" Palm Desktop? I noticed that the Handspring version is 3.1 while the Palm site has 4.x available.
    Palm released Desktop 4.0 a good while before HandSpring released it. Some users installed it and then installed the HandSpring HotSync data over the top of that. So, yes, you can engineer it to work.

However, IanP is correct, you might as well download the official HandSpring version since it is available.

HandSpring does tweak the Palm Desktop to make it perform better with their products, as does Sony.

It is definately better to use the HandSpring version, but I did want to answer your question.

And by the way, 4.0 is much better than 3.1, at least to me.
    In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. JOHN 14:2
    Originally posted by purplemd
    I tried the latest version of Palm's Desktop (and the patch that they have to 4.x) on my Win 2000 / Prism combination. It worked just fine as long as I disabled the HotSync conduit for "installing to extended memory" (or something like that). I wanted to see if I could use it to install software directly to my CF adapter (which was using Kopsis's VFSHelper). Unfortunately, it could not do this and I think that's because the Hotsync program on the Prism is v3.5.

I've removed Palm's desktop and gone back to Handspring's version.
    Originally posted by kalahari

I tried the latest version of Palm's Desktop (and the patch that they have to 4.x) on my Win 2000 / Prism combination. It worked just fine as long as I disabled the HotSync conduit for "installing to extended memory" (or something like that). I wanted to see if I could use it to install software directly to my CF adapter (which was using Kopsis's VFSHelper). Unfortunately, it could not do this and I think that's because the Hotsync program on the Prism is v3.5.

I've removed Palm's desktop and gone back to Handspring's version.
    Considering HS released their 4.0 desktop quite a while ago I'd hope you went back to them .
    Originally posted by Techie2000
    Considering HS released their 4.0 desktop quite a while ago I'd hope you went back to them .
    Not sure what you're getting at? I had Handspring's v4.0.1 Desktop and Hotsync 3.1.2H installed. I installed Palm's combination over that as the Hotsync Manager (and other components?) were newer versions and because I wanted to test the extended memory features.

I had no good reason to go back to Handspring's 4.0.1 Desktop -- I just thought I'd do that to prevent any compatibility problems that might occur.