1.    #1  
    Okay, so I downloaded pocket tunes, got a big memory card, 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter and some new headphones for my centro. withought the headphones it sounds great, but with them, the quality is terrible and very quiet... any thoughts?
    The Centro and PTunes can sound great for music. As good as an Ipod or any other mp3 player. Do you hear the music in both ears? Did you try a different pair of headphones? Does moving/twisting the plugs, both in the phone and in the adapter, make any difference? Some headphones have a high impedence and that would make the music softer, but not affect the quality.
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    I had the same problem with my 3.5mm to 2.5mm adapter. I have had this happen a couple of times. One time with a previous Centro, it was the prongs in the Centro female plug itself and Verizon gave me a new Centro.

My latest event was the adapter itself. I swapped it for an adapter with gold anodized connections and it works perfectly now with great stereo sound.

Try a new adapter first, then take it back into your carrier and let them listen.
  4.    #4  
    yeah, it could be the adapter... its a new adapter, but pluging a regular headset into it works fine. the audio quality is weird, very quiet, and for some reason i cant hear the vocals on any song... just the instrumentals
    In that case you have a bad adapter. But not really bad, just not correct for the Centro. The Centro is very picky for the stereo output.

You need this particular adapter:

JAVOedge - 2.5mm to 3.5mm Stereo Headphone Adapter for Palm Treo 680

Works great for me and many others on this forum.
    Hear more talk about my Centro and other industry news, go to thecellphonejunkie.com for a great weekly cell & smartphone podcast.
  6.    #6  
    hmm... yeah that looks exactly the same as mine... different brand, but same thing
    Well in that case, look VERY carefully as you are plugging the adapter in to make sure the gold part seats all the way flush against the smaller recess on the Centro body. I have read that people have had to take an Xacto knife to trim some plastic on the adapter to clear the raised part around the socket on the Centro.

That effect you describe where you can't hear the vocals is coming from the negative sumation of the two channels (that's how they make some of the cheap karoke tracks) because the tip and rings are not quite in the right alignment. Also, note the Centro does have a four conductor socket (for a headset) so the contacts are very close together.
    Last edited by strobeyprobey; 06/19/2009 at 02:13 PM.
    Hear more talk about my Centro and other industry news, go to thecellphonejunkie.com for a great weekly cell & smartphone podcast.
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by detachable_dave View Post
    yeah, it could be the adapter... its a new adapter, but pluging a regular headset into it works fine. the audio quality is weird, very quiet, and for some reason i cant hear the vocals on any song... just the instrumentals
    I had this EXACT same problem. The adapter I had was brand new, so I exchanged the phone. 3 phones later (and another new one on the way) I wish I had just stuck with my first Centro. I have gone through several headphones/adapters and it seems like the jack gets loose very easily.
    All you have to do is look at the male tip that plugs into your device. If there's 2 'rings' around it, then you're good to go.

2 rings=stereo sound, 1 channel for left & 1 channel for right. On a 3-ringed adapter,that 3rd ring is for headsets that have a built-in mic for you to use to talk in calls with. The Centro isn't built to handle those headsets, so when you use one of those adapters, it doesn't align right inside the device.

The reason this is such a common problem is because 3-ringed adapters are labeled for sale as "made for cellular devices!" and users asume that it means 'music,' but it is actually referring to 'talking.'

My personal advice? Forget the cords and buy a stereo bluetooth headset.
    The Centro does support stereo headphones and stereo wired headsets (with a mic). To use standard stereo headphones with good results (the Centro music quality is very good) you probably have to use the JavoEdge adapter. There are dozens of older threads on this issue.

The bluetooth route does require an additional purchase of Softick Audio Gateway to enable A2DP stereo bluetooth streaming. Also, right now the Plantronics 855 stereo headset is going for $30!
    Quote Originally Posted by strobeyprobey View Post
    The Centro does support stereo headphones and stereo wired headsets (with a mic). To use standard stereo headphones with good results (the Centro music quality is very good) you probably have to use the JavoEdge adapter. There are dozens of older threads on this issue.
    You're right- mic'd headsets are supported.. their converters are just worthless for quality music. & I don't think the brand matters, just as long as it's 2-ringed. I've got a converter in the car & in the living room, both from back when Helio had the same problem 4 years ago or so. They're 2 different brands, one from Radio Shack & one from a local department store. & I gotta agree with you on this: the Centro music quality is amazing!