1.    #1  
    Just thought I'd warn people about the latest release of QuickWord/QuickOffice.

I just upgraded from QuickOffice 5.1 to 5.6 and discovered that QuickWord hijacks all the doc files currently residing on your palm and changes the creator and type to rTXT and Qwrd (similar to the way some Windows software will hijack extensions to make them the default app).

The net result of all this is that if you have ebooks that you read with CSpotRun (and presumably others that are looking for DOC (type TEXt creator REAd) files, CSpotRun can no longer see any of the doc files. Of course you can still read them in QuickWord.

Have only glanced through the readme and documentation, but I don't believe this is mentioned in any of the docs.
    In the meantime, although I haven't had much opportunity to work with the new QuickOffice yet, the front end definitely looks nicer. I will post more of my impressions as I start using it more.
    -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
    Version: 3.12
    GS d-(+) s: a C++ UX++++V++S++ P+>+++ L>+++ E+>++ W++ N++(+++) o? K? w !O !M V-- PS PE Y+ PGP++ t++ 5++ X++ R+ tv++ b++(+++) DI++++ D+ G++ e+++>++++ h--- r+++ y?
    -----END GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
    imabug,

I thought I would try installing this v5.6 upgrade. As far as hijacking all the doc files is concerned, there is a big warning box that comes up (when doing the installation) that tells you it's going to do this. I can't understand why Cutting Edge would do this inconsiderate and stupid change

My PC installation was completely broken after the install! I could not run Quickoffice Desktop or the Excel or Word add-ins. Cesinc Support suggested a reboot. That solved the problem.

Quickword 5.6 does look good on my Prism

. . . . Brian
    Last edited by kalahari; 10/02/2001 at 11:51 AM.
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by kalahari
    imabug,

I thought I would try installing this v5.6 upgrade. As far as hijacking all the doc files is concerned, there is a big warning box that comes up (when doing the installation) that tells you it's going to do this. I can't understand why Cutting Edge would do this inconsiderate and stupid change
    . . . . Brian
    Hmm, I didn't get any kind of warning box when I installed mine. I emailed Cutting Edge support suggesting they not hijack the doc files. Seems kind of silly especially considering that QuickWord offers an import facility so you can import whatever docs you want into the new format.

It's quite annoying because the only way I've found so far of fixing the hijacked files is to use something like Filez to go in and change the Creator/Type back to REAd/TEXt so that CSpotRun can see them again.
    GS d-(+) s: a C++ UX++++V++S++ P+>+++ L>+++ E+>++ W++ N++(+++) o? K? w !O !M V-- PS PE Y+ PGP++ t++ 5++ X++ R+ tv++ b++(+++) DI++++ D+ G++ e+++>++++ h--- r+++ y?
    Originally posted by imabug
    Hmm, I didn't get any kind of warning box when I installed mine. I emailed Cutting Edge support suggesting they not hijack the doc files. Seems kind of silly especially considering that QuickWord offers an import facility so you can import whatever docs you want into the new format.

It's quite annoying because the only way I've found so far of fixing the hijacked files is to use something like Filez to go in and change the Creator/Type back to REAd/TEXt so that CSpotRun can see them again.
    I think the warning box said something along the lines that you should delete all DOC files that you do want Quickword to "hijack". I didn't want to delete any files!

I have also written to Cutting Edge complaining about this automatic changing of Type and Creator. I have tested Quickword 5.6 and was disappointed to see that it does not seem to offer VFS support. This makes it even more important that it not hijack the DOC files so that VFS-enabled apps (like CSpotRun and iSilo) can access these documents on adapters such as CF, SM, SD, or MemoryStick.

. . . . Brian
  5.    #5  
    Kalahari said:
    I think the warning box said something along the lines that you should delete all DOC files that you do want Quickword to "hijack". I didn't want to delete any files!
    Did you do an uninstall/install, or did you simply install overtop of the existing Quickoffice? I did both ways and never saw the error mesasge.

Well, according to the response I got from CES,

The error message only comes up on the initial setup (it notices that you have a dll file that is listed as 5.1, now it is 5.6)
    *shrug* well, it still works, and i've used Filez to reclaim the doc files I want to read with CSpotRun. PITA though.
    Originally posted by imabug
    Did you do an uninstall/install, or did you simply install overtop of the existing Quickoffice? I did both ways and never saw the error mesasge.
    I did an install on top of Quickoffice 5.1.1.
    Is the upgrade free for registered users?
    Originally posted by dampeoples
    Is the upgrade free for registered users?
    Yes. Just go to http://www.cesinc.com/support/upgrade.html and select it. You'll then get an email giving download URL and password details.

That page says upgrades are free for a year after purchase. I'm pretty sure that I purchased Quickoffice more than a year ago but I'm not going to complain

It doesn't seem like Cutting Edge is notifying users of this upgrade (yet?).

. . . . Brian
    I, as well, cannot remember when I purchased Quickoffice, but I've never gotten an Email update, I always get that info from here. I don't understand, if I have a mamplug and my doc's are stored on the card, will this update cause them to be hijacked as well?
    Originally posted by dampeoples
    ... I don't understand, if I have a mamplug and my doc's are stored on the card, will this update cause them to be hijacked as well? ...
    No, I don't think it'll hijack those files. I have exchanged a number of emails with Cutting Edge support today. They claim that Quickoffice Desktop will show you all the files that Quickword will take over and that if you delete them from QuickOffice Desktop (to prevent them synching) then they'll remain the way they are.

I am still trying to find out if Quickoffice has VFS support or not.
    A couple of questions for all...

1) It seems that everyone is saying that is searches out DOC files on my Visor and changes them before I even open them in QuickWord. Is this accurate?

2) If the first is true, will files that are left on my CF card be safe?
  12.    #12  
    Originally posted by euangel
    A couple of questions for all...

1) It seems that everyone is saying that is searches out DOC files on my Visor and changes them before I even open them in QuickWord. Is this accurate?

2) If the first is true, will files that are left on my CF card be safe?
    Quickword will probably just change whatever files it finds at installation, so anything that's offline (on a memory card that's *not* in the visor) will probably be safe.

CES's solution to me was to reinstall the DOC files that I didn't want taken over.

I'm still quite positive that I didn't get any kind of warning that it was going to take over my DOC files like it did. hrmph.
    I also upgraded to 5.6 and received the notice about files when I installed. I moved the CSpotRun files to my 8Mb flash and took out my flash card before syncing. The only files changed by the installation were the QuickWord files still in RAM. I copied the CSpotRun files back to the RAM after the install without QuickWord trying to change them. In fact, QuickWord 5.6 cannot see the .pdb files unless they are imported into QuickWord.

As far as VFS support, I moved a QuickWord document with FAFileMover with VFS enabled into the Palm/Launcher directory on my MatchBook, and QuickWord could not see the file. I moved it back, and QuickWord picked it up again without problems.
    Originally posted by mgflorez
    ...As far as VFS support, I moved a QuickWord document with FAFileMover with VFS enabled into the Palm/Launcher directory on my MatchBook, and QuickWord could not see the file. I moved it back, and QuickWord picked it up again without problems.
    As far as VFS is concerned, Cutting Edge have confirmed that v5.6 does not have VFS support. They say that the next version (v5.7 or v6.0?) will.
    Uncheck "Show Bar" under Preference; then open a doc. Or re-open a doc if you do this within a doc.

The text in the file should become invisible, until you check show bar again. (or it was what happened on my Palm V)