Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've got a VZ 700p and I'm pretty happy with it. Never had a hard reset I didn't initiate. Overall I really like my Treo. I've got great apps like MyBible, ptunes & tryDA. I'm not sure that I'm ready to drink the kool aid of "the cloud" yet. I would like to update to better hardware and software (Pre) someday. Here's my question: How many others are happy with their 700p for now?
    Good question. I'm really happy with my VZ Treo 700p. I recently had the device fail due to a CDMA phone radio card failure and I was asked if I wanted to upgrade to a "new" device. While a new device brings some neat features, does the keyboard match the quality of the famous Treo, in a word, No.

Does the bluetooth in a new device do something new and different? If you can overlook a lack of A2DP with using a $4.99 headset adapter, then no.

What about applications? The old Palm OS 5.4.9 has many of them, and I have acquired some real gems like Docs to go pro v10, PocketTunes Deluxe 4.x and too many games to mention here.

Besides, I have way too many Palm standard adapters that I share between my treo and a PalmTX including a nice IR keyboard. And it can tether as a DUN modem using either the VZAccess or PDAnet.

And then there's that whole expansion card discussion...I've learned over the years that many cards mean unlimited expansion.
    i loved loved loved my 700p for the last 2 1/2 yrs - however just made the jump to a palm pre - its a love/hate relationship so far and i still may end up back at my beloved treo
    smiles for your day ~ pixielee
    In a love/hate relationship w/my PalmPre(s) 6/6/09 3/22/10 4/12/10 and 5/5/10 (ops yes I lost one!)

Its Life - Live it, Love it, PLAY in it
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    I'd have to say that overall I'm still fairly happy with my Treo as well. Like cvn74rmo said, there's a lot about this model to like (SD Card, sweet apps accumulated over time, etc). Occasionally I get a reset, but barring a flaky app I just removed, it hasn't been too much trouble for me, so I doubt I'll ditch it any time soon, but we'll see what next year brings.
    Tried treo 755p after my 700p Sprint, then went on to Treo 800w, and eventually, after a few months of trying the devices, went back to my Treo 700p. I am convinced that Treo 700p is a solid device as well as a work horse for pretty much all of the "smart phone" necessities - the wide array of applications, superior voice quality, one of the best smart phone's battery life and many many more positives, will keep this device afloat for a while - all the rest is mainly a marketing caving in to the "smart phone trend" of today
    Leave the bleeding edge to those that want to. If your device serves your function for now, stay with it until the new technologies stabilizes.
    I'm very happy with my 700P. It has been like a trusty assistant these past few years. I don't see what I would need that I don't already have with my 700P.
    You guys ARE DINOSAURS! I've owned and used both the Treo 700p and the Treo 800w. Two devices that IMO Palm should never have released. The 755p is essentially what the 700p should have been, and the 800w was the misfire that Palm released before it released the Treo Pro. Both are and were stop gap devices that were probably should not have been released. AND I OWNED BOTH OF THEM! UGH!! Both were damn buggy in my opinion and full of reset issues, but of course ymmv...

As for me, I'm moving on to the Pre right now and hopefully not looking back...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic View Post
    You guys ARE DINOSAURS! I've owned and used both the Treo 700p and the Treo 800w. Two devices that IMO Palm should never have released. The 755p is essentially what the 700p should have been, and the 800w was the misfire that Palm released before it released the Treo Pro. Both are and were stop gap devices that were probably should not have been released. AND I OWNED BOTH OF THEM! UGH!! Both were damn buggy in my opinion and full of reset issues, but of course ymmv...

To all you above previous posters... And ones to come. I can address this with three words...

What A Comedian!

This Guy May Have Talent?
    wth?

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    I have been using a pre on sprint since the moring of its release, but will probably return it before next saturday due to poor signal. I am a vzw user, but I tried a sprint phone in advance of the pre's release to see if sprint has adequate coverage where I live and work. The phone met my needs, but the pre is unable to secure a reliable signal on sprints network for me. Sadly, I will be returning it, and back to the 700p for me. I love the webos, and look forward to a device that I can use. meanwhile, I still prefer frankengarnet to everything else out there. Highly functional for my needs.
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic View Post

agree except I love my 700p...upgraded to 755p
    Quote Originally Posted by drwillec View Post
    I have been using a pre on sprint since the moring of its release, but will probably return it before next saturday due to poor signal. I am a vzw user, but I tried a sprint phone in advance of the pre's release to see if sprint has adequate coverage where I live and work. The phone met my needs, but the pre is unable to secure a reliable signal on sprints network for me. Sadly, I will be returning it, and back to the 700p for me. I love the webos, and look forward to a device that I can use. meanwhile, I still prefer frankengarnet to everything else out there. Highly functional for my needs.
    is the Pre's signal strength less than the 700p?
    Yeah, I guess we are dinosaurs. BUT BY CHOICE!

I was very excited about the Pre back in January. The more I learned, the more it became clear to me that the Pre was not made for me, nor do I think it was even made for Treo users. It was made to attract that coveted target demo of 20's - 30's year olds, and to gain some followers back from the iPhone. It may have worked, somewhat, with the former, but likely failed with the latter (just too many inadequacies and things that shoulda been there at launch).

I will wait for a Pre-type phone that will be as business-functional as my 700p is now.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    I don't post often but the 700p(Sprint) has served me well for nearly 3yrs. and another yr.with the treo 650 before that.Sure I consdered the Treo pro,Palm Pre,Htc Touch Pro but it took so long to get the 700p stable & the way I want it that the thought of starting over with new problems,paying hundreds of $ for new apps.& acces's just does'nt seem worth it.I think thats the way it always is when you already have a reasonably high tech.device to begin with.So I'll stay with it until it gives out or a ton of $ falls my way.
    I'm unhappy with my 700p but still use it. Verizon, work-issued. Not many good Verizon smartphones are available for corporate use. My 700p reboots itself several times a day, when not even in use (just sitting on the desk). Every once in a while it actually does a hard reset! All by itself! unbelievable. sometimes I'll hit the green answer button and it will reset (with the rare but very annoying hard reset).

The only thing keeping me going is NVBackup, which I have on the SD card. so after a hard reset and just run the restore option from NVBackup and i'm back.

In August 2009 (2 weeks ago), calendar suddenly stopped syncing (activesync via Exchange 2007). mail and contacts work, but not calendar. That's pretty annoying.

I've used a Palm OS devices since 1995 and am looking forward to the Pre if Verizon ever gets hold of it. But i don't think the 700p will last until then. Maybe a Centrino or Pro will get my buy until then.
    erose, you're in the rarity. You may have a defective phone. I'd say software issue, but if it has truly hard-reset on its own, then it can't be. Most (99% imho) 700p's are rock stable, esp if rom'd to 755p.
    Treo 300 (x2), 600 (x3), 650 (x6), 700p (ROM'd to 755p)
    My Custom Black-Tie 700p
    Sprint, 750 AT, Unl N/W @ 7pm, Unl Roaming/Power Vision/Pix/Txt/M2M, $46/mo.
    Lost Your Treo 300/600/650/680/700/750 CD? Download them here.
    I tried out the Pre at a Sprint store for a few hours. The web OS is nice, but the phone feels flimsy. I am pretty rough on my phone, and I don't think the Pre would last very long in my possession. Another major drawback of the Pre is the keyboard. I think it's awful in comparison with the 700p keyboard. I also have an iPod touch, which I bought in order to perform an extended evaluation of the iPhone without getting stuck with a 2-year contract. I like it, but in the end I want a phone with a very high-quality keyboard. So far the 700p keyboard is my favorite.

So, I've "returned' to the 700p with a vengeance. I bought two new 700p treos on ebay, one for me and one for my girlfriend. She doesn't need data services and she doesn't even use it that much, so she's using it on a $10/month prepaid contract. I've got a Verizon contract that runs about $80/month.

The 700p has some very big advantages over the newer phones:

The old Palm treos generally support one-handed use, including typing, superbly. Try using an iPhone, or the Pre, with one hand. It's not easy. You invariably need your other hand to open/shut the keyboard, hold the phone while executing a swipe, or some other thing. Typing an email on an iPhone? Forget it!
    It's CHEAP - about $50-$60 in near-new condition on eBay. Buy one, and buy a spare.
    It runs very well without data service - i.e. you just periodically need to sync it. With the phone off, you never have to wait for it to acquire a signal.
    Removable battery with good battery life. Spare batteries are CHEAP and plentiful
    SD card support - I keep an 8Gb USB plus card in mine, which doubles as a flash drive (built-in USB port on the card)
    Lots of unique apps. Vindigo seems to still work, and you can use it without a signal. Spaceward Ho is the best game EVER - I'm addicted to it yet again.

Some disadvantages:
    The web browser is quite poor, and has trouble rendering many pages
    Music playing is crude in comparison with the iphone, even if you're running the pro version of pTunes.
    The phone is big & heavy in comparison with the fancy new models.
    I agree with what you've said here. I bought a brand new 700p just to have, just in case. I still use my beat up one, but it's nice to have a new one on standby.

I also just bought a "broken" Centro that was in a reset loop.

When it arrived, I found it to be fully functioning. A hard reset and it's even better. May switch to that just to see how I like it. I HATE the absense of an easily removable SD card, though.

I really like pTunes, esp with the Internet Radio... how does the iPhone trump it?
    Treo 300 (x2), 600 (x3), 650 (x6), 700p (ROM'd to 755p)
    My Custom Black-Tie 700p
    Sprint, 750 AT, Unl N/W @ 7pm, Unl Roaming/Power Vision/Pix/Txt/M2M, $46/mo.
    Lost Your Treo 300/600/650/680/700/750 CD? Download them here.
    700p has tethering, pre does not
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast