Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Is there a way to tether an iphone without service to my Sprint 755p so it would have internet service? I know I can use my 755p for internet for my laptop but I dont know if it is possible between phones. Thoughts?
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Bueller? anyone???
    I've wondered the same thing and googled around and never seen it.

But now that the BlueTooth is more open, I'm wondering if the JailBreakers might find a way

Gary
    Sprint Treo 755p (previously Sprint Treo 700p, Sprint i500, Sprint i330 [yuk], Sprint i300, Sprint StarTac, Verizon StarTac)
    Mac 12" 1.5 GHz PowerBook (Constantly tethered to my Treo)
    Gary Said... (my blog) or The Daily Meme
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    I looked into this for my wife, who wanted something to sync with her Mac. The 755p can provide service to other bluetooth-enabled phones that support bluetooth DUN, I've done it on a WM phone (PPC6700) before. However, the iPhone does not support that profile, since presumably ATT made them leave it out. The iPhone and 755p do not support USB host mode so no USB solution could work.

If you can carry another bit of hardware, you can pick up a PPC6700 or newer with WmWiFiRouter, which should allow you to take the bluetooth DUN off the 755p (the 755 needs usbmodem) and the application lets you use the 6700 as a wifi access point.

My wife got an LG Lotus instead, BTW, and syncs with Google.

Other than that I think you will have to wait for a jailbreaker to port the bluetooth profile, as mentioned, but since the bluetooth in the 3gs is different than the older version it might never happen.

Good luck,
    -TC
    "but since the bluetooth in the 3gs is different"

What's different? Is there more enabled in it?

Gary
    Sprint Treo 755p (previously Sprint Treo 700p, Sprint i500, Sprint i330 [yuk], Sprint i300, Sprint StarTac, Verizon StarTac)
    Mac 12" 1.5 GHz PowerBook (Constantly tethered to my Treo)
    Gary Said... (my blog) or The Daily Meme
    Oops - wrong thread...
    Last edited by Grim; 10/28/2009 at 11:45 AM. Reason: wrong topic
    “Wolves are the top of the food chain, and when the wolf population is healthy, all other animal and plant populations are healthy.” -- Lois Tulleners
    I researched this for the iPod Touch and I think the iPhone has the same limitation: the BT profile required is not included. People are using phones that can share their phone data via WiFi.