1.    #1  
    I have a Prism, with a MatchBook Drive Compact Flash adapter. The FAFileMover program that came with it allows me to move programs to the CF card that I purchased (128M), but not run programs from it. My friend with a Sony Clie told me about a program called PowerRun that allows you to move a program to a VFS device & create a link so that you can run it from the VFS. The newest Beta version said that it would work with the Innopak FlashAdapter for the Visor, but when I attempt to move applications it says "Can't find memory card."

Does anyone know of any other applications like PowerRun that I could try, or that you have tried & know that it works? I would appreciate any help I can get.
    You need to have VFSHelper from Kopsis. Since you own a matchbookdrive, this should be a free upgrade from them. Once you have it installed and enabled Powerrun and other VFS enabled apps should work.
    You know it's bad when your Calculus Professor uses the word "Unpossible"

"It's a long way from my thoughts to what I'll say, It's a long, long way from paradise to where I am today." -Switchfoot, Home
    Ashmed's right. You'll definitely need Kopsis VFS helper. The program works very well and
    should be free for you. I have used PowerRun and VFS helper without problems for a couple of months now.

What you may also want to consider is Launcher III. The new shareware version has its
    own built in app mover that, with VFS helper, will recognize and automatically move apps
    from a CF card to RAM when selected, and then move that same app back to the CF card
    when your done. I've timed some apps, and Launcher III seems to be as fast as the Power
    run.
    I bought a flush Matchbook drive and a 64mb card 2 weeks ago. Yesterday I upgraded to the Kopsis VFS software and upgraded my Launcher III.

You will create a folder called Palm and a subfolder called Launcher. Then whatever you put on your CF card in that folder will show with a small blue square near the icon in the launcher.

So far this works great - I am very impressed. I initially thought I would just be using the CF card for storing stuff I don't normally use - but not now. You have got to give this a try.

dave
    Yep, I really like the new version of Launcher III. I am starting to think that I like the shortcuts a lot too, but am not really sure...

At any rate, the thing I like about PowerRun is that is copies EVERYTHING over to the card, so there's no ram taken up by pdb files and such. That said, I like the speed & simplicity of LIII better.

yep.
    Can you tell me a little more about PowerRun? I didn't go there on my installation?

Also, I found that with some apps I needed to leave the database files on the RAM and with others I could move them to the card.

Lastly, if you have some apps that you have programmed to open on the Handspring buttons (like I have BugMe opening when I select the calculator icon and DateBook4 open when I select the datebook button,) I had to move those apps back to the RAM to get the buttons to work. I also found that when I moved DateBook4 back to Ram I lost all of my prefs -- not a big deal, but a slight pain.
    dave
    Originally posted by David Vitale
    Can you tell me a little more about PowerRun? I didn't go there on my installation?
    Powerrun is basically an automover that keeps track of all the files that a given program uses. It then copies them all into a directory on the CF card. When you run it, it copies them all to RAM, lets you edit, and when you're done, it copies them back. Very nifty, but slow.
    Also, I found that with some apps I needed to leave the database files on the RAM and with others I could move them to the card.
    yep. powerrun will eliminate that.
    Lastly, if you have some apps that you have programmed to open on the Handspring buttons (like I have BugMe opening when I select the calculator icon and DateBook4 open when I select the datebook button,) I had to move those apps back to the RAM to get the buttons to work. I also found that when I moved DateBook4 back to Ram I lost all of my prefs -- not a big deal, but a slight pain.
    dave
    Try the newer, non-freeware version of Launcher III. It allows you to create "shortcuts" for just this issue. Otherwise, you can map these apps to PowerRun also, and this should solve that problem. Personally, I prefer LIII because I can handle having the PDBs in RAM in exchange for speed. To Each His Own, especially in these early days of VFS.
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/flashadapter-forum
    Theres a lot of interesting stuff going on with VFS!
    Bye
    AM
    Originally posted by dietrichbohn

Try the newer, non-freeware version of Launcher III. It allows you to create "shortcuts" for just this issue. Otherwise, you can map these apps to PowerRun also, and this should solve that problem. Personally, I prefer LIII because I can handle having the PDBs in RAM in exchange for speed. To Each His Own, especially in these early days of VFS.
    Thanks for the advice on this, Dietrichbohn. Now that I'm using the released version of VFSHelper with my FlashPlus (oh, it's smooth!), I tried both.

My reactions are the same as yours -- Launcher III is simpler to use (particularly with shortcuts), and while it means leaving the databases in memory, it's faster in launching stuff off the card.

And I'm using this with a VDX, which means OS 3.1, thus limiting my options some. But the simplicity is really nice.

Thanks mon! I'm off to PalmGear HQ to pay for Launcher III!
    Jeff Meyer

"And he died like he lived: with his mouth wide open."
    Originally posted by alexmathew
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/flashadapter-forum
    Theres a lot of interesting stuff going on with VFS!
    Bye
    AM
    I've been digging around in the flashadapter forum for the last couple of weeks, but haven't been able to cull a list of "what's coming out with VFS support" very well.

What ones do you know of, other than the Blue Nomad products (BackupBuddy (hotsyncing -- maybe -- from the card)), and WordSmith (the WS beta already allows this -- so cool! I'll wait for the release, though.)

I have a list of apps I wish supported VFS, of course:
    • ThinkDB (allowing me to run DBs stored on my CF card)
    • QuickSheet
    • AvantGo and Vindgo (i.e., hotsync new data from the Internet through the Visor and out to the CF card)

Basically, anything that has big files. WordSmith will be a big step towards this, as will ThinkDB or QuickSheet. (I've been thinking of dumping QuickSheet for some time -- have any of the competing spreadsheets got/announced VFS support yet?)
    Jeff Meyer

I have played with the beta on QuickStart. http://www.toysoft-dev.com/Quickstart.html It works like Advantage (same company) to sync your QuickOffice files with the memory card. In the novice mode, everything is synced to the card. In the advanced mode, you control which files are synced from the card. Nice work around.
    Isilo is in Beta 3 release (available for download - Beta3 seems to work fine - Kopsis VFS)

Tomeraider is supposed to be released in a month.
    Oliver
    Originally posted by bookrats
    I have a list of apps I wish supported VFS, of course:
    • ThinkDB (allowing me to run DBs stored on my CF card)
    • QuickSheet
    • AvantGo and Vindgo (i.e., hotsync new data from the Internet through the Visor and out to the CF card)

Basically, anything that has big files. WordSmith will be a big step towards this, as will ThinkDB or QuickSheet. (I've been thinking of dumping QuickSheet for some time -- have any of the competing spreadsheets got/announced VFS support yet?)
    ThinkDB 2.5 already has VFS support.

There are a couple ways to do the AvantGo data on the card, but I haven't messed with any of them myself. They were discussed in detail on the Yahoo Forum.

MiniCalc 6.4 has been out for a little while, and uses VFS. It is also a great spreadsheet program.
    IYYAYAS

AMMO - Providing the enemy the opportunity to die for his country.
    Thanks mon! I'm off to PalmGear HQ to pay for Launcher III!
    No prob.

I share your frustration WRT not being to easily find good VFS software. Wordsmith has got a version in Beta that sounds good. I just wish there were a doc reader that had the speed of palmreader w/out the annoying "prefs" databases that are up to 1/3 the size of the doc I'm reading. Does anyone know if there's a speed difference using ISilo docs on the card rather than Palm docs?
    Originally posted by icthus

ThinkDB 2.5 already has VFS support.
    I read through the 2.5 manual, and I wouldn't call that VFS support (or at least not the app VFS support I was thinking of -- direct reading and writing to the card, ala WordSmith and ISilo). ThinkDB 2.5 still requires that each TinyByte database be in main memory to be viewed, read from or written.

You can't read or write directly to the database on the external memory card -- everything must be loaded into main memory first.

What it sounds as if ThinkDB has done is basically replicated what Launcher III or PowerRun do -- auto-copying to memory from the external card (though probably via the VFS API).

However, maybe VFS direct reading & writing isn't practical for frequent and sustained I/O, such as you'd get with a database. (Maybe Dave Kessler would know.)

There are a couple ways to do the AvantGo data on the card, but I haven't messed with any of them myself. They were discussed in detail on the Yahoo Forum.
    Yup -- but again, basically loading files and apps from the card to memory before executing, not direct access. (Which is why this hasn't appealed to me for AvantGo.

MiniCalc 6.4 has been out for a little while, and uses VFS. It is also a great spreadsheet program.
    Thanks for the pointer -- I don't use MiniCalc, but I can't help being impressed. They continue to add features and capabilities that the other apps just don't have.

If the text formatting functions work the way I want, I may just jump and leave QuickOffice completely behind.
    Jeff Meyer

I haven't messed with the VFS in ThinkDB either. From what I have read from other users, they have a way to go before it is really functional (i.e. storing the programs databases in \PALM\Programs\ThinkDB rather than searching the entire card for info)

Yup -- but again, basically loading files and apps from the card to memory before executing, not direct access.
    That's the way VFS works. Anything you access, program or data, that is on the card gets moved to the Visor's memory. If the program, such as MiniCalc, lets you modify data that is on stored on the card rather than just reading it, then when you are done with the file it moves the new file from RAM back to the card and replaces the old file. Some programs move a lot less data to RAM before running than others.
    IYYAYAS

Originally posted by icthus
    That's the way VFS works. Anything you access, program or data, that is on the card gets moved to the Visor's memory. If the program, such as MiniCalc, lets you modify data that is on stored on the card rather than just reading it, then when you are done with the file it moves the new file from RAM back to the card and replaces the old file. Some programs move a lot less data to RAM before running than others.
    Wellll.. absolute agreement about applications having to be loaded to Visor memory first. They have got to be run from Visor memory. (Skipping by MSMount and PIDirect and various "virtual memory" do-dads for the moment.) However, regarding data being read and written via VFS, I believe that's not quite it.

Using the VFS API, an application can read and write data directly to and from an external memory card. Applications like SplashPhoto and the modified CSpotRun do this. My understading about this is from a lengthy article Dave Kessler posted here on VFS, and the VFS FAQ on Kopsis' Engineering site.

Now, I'm betting that the VFS API implementations (Palm's, Kopsis', PI's), copy [i]chunks[/b] of data from the card to Visor memory when reading, and visa-versa when writing. (I.e., I/O APIs use buffers in main memory, and VFS is an I/O API). But it's not simply copying the entire data file from the card and then accessing it in memory, and then copying it back to the card when done.

That's the really cool thing about VFS -- you should be able to read and write to files on the card that are larger (much larger) than the available memory on the Visor. In the long run, that's what I see being the big benefit of VFS.

Maybe that's what you meant, and I misunderstood. However, someone please correct me if I'm wrong, or if I'm glossing over some details here.
    Jeff Meyer

Now, I'm betting that the VFS API implementations (Palm's, Kopsis', PI's), copy chunks of data from the card to Visor memory when reading, and visa-versa when writing. (I.e., I/O APIs use buffers in main memory, and VFS is an I/O API). But it's not simply copying the entire data file from the card and then accessing it in memory, and then copying it back to the card when done.

That's the really cool thing about VFS -- you should be able to read and write to files on the card that are larger (much larger) than the available memory on the Visor. In the long run, that's what I see being the big benefit of VFS.

You are absolutely correct. Applications using the VFS API can read or write as little as a single byte of data in a file on the flash card. For performance reasons, a small amount of card data (512 bytes in the case of the FlashAdapter) is "cached" in RAM, but the entire file is definitely not read into RAM unless that's what the application asks for.

The only real issue is that VFS is very new and some developers, in the interest of getting VFS support into their apps as quickly as possible, don't use VFS in the most efficient way. In fact some apps, like Mapopolis, do read the entire data file to RAM - not because they have to, but because that was the fastest way to add VFS support. As developers have more time to refine the memory card support in their apps, you'll see these inefficient techniques disappear.
    <ul><li>Dave Kessler<br>President - Kopsis, Inc.</li></ul>
    Thanks greatly for the clarification, Dave -- it is appreciated.

BTW, am using VFSHelper and Launcher III in combination with a FlashPlus, and love it! Brings new life to my old VDX.

Can't wait to get the WordSmith VFS upgrade next month and use it with VFSHelper...
    Jeff Meyer

Maybe that's what you meant, and I misunderstood. However, someone please correct me if I'm wrong, or if I'm glossing over some details here.
    That is what i meant. I just glossed over LOTS of detail.
    IYYAYAS