Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Hi all,

Just wanted to say Hi!

I'm about to make the jump from a 3Com PalmIIIe to a Verizon Centro.

I've been carrying the IIIe since 1999 and I thought it was about time to upgrade and consolidate my PDA and cell phone.
    Apparently they have these things nowadays called smartphones...

A couple of weeks ago I picked-up a Zire 72s on eBay, but I quickly realized that what I really wanted was one less thing to carry around in my pockets, so I decided I needed a Centro!

Cheers,
    V
    I don't even think the Centro is behind the times. It does everything that I want/need and tons more that I don't even want. And it works very reliably. My only issue with it is battery life, but I work at a desk and keep it plugged in most of the time. So battery life isn't really an issue for me personally most days, although it could be better.

Enjoy!
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    My only issue really, is the tiny screen. I've even learned to accept the keyboard...but the screen...wow. In every other aspect, this is a fantastic phone.
    The screen is definitely tiny, but looks great and is nice and bright. My biggest complaint is lack of a video player. Get a decent video player and who needs an ipod...
    tcpmp is a pretty good free vido player, Kinoma does a good job with streaming video and Core player is supposed to be really good also.

Frankly I think the device rocks and if the rumors about Sprint not activating the Pre to any legacy plans (and forcing you to get a more expensive plan) I will stick with the Centro and they can take their Pre and shove it.
    Today, I'm glad that I'm a VZW customer, so no way to get the Pre anyway. But the early adopters are not having fun today. I'd much rather give it a few months to sort out issues and learn what's working and not. And for VZW to get it. Besides, with the Centro, all I'd gain is a better screen mostly...but I'll have to jury rig the friggin' desktop synch to keep working the Palm one.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    My Centro has arrived!

I've been playing with it for most of the day, and things are going pretty well, although I am having some slight glitches with some of my third-party apps.

Also, I was a bit disappointed to find that Voice Memos don't sync to the desktop and that the free handed drawing NotePad app is not included with the Centro... (my fault for not doing enough research on that I guess, but who wudda thunk it??)

I'm guess I have smallish fingers because I'm doing pretty well with the keypad.

Right now I am still liking the Zire 72s a bit more in terms of aesthetics. We'll have to wait and see which one is the keeper!

Even though I described these Palms as being 'behind the times' in my OP I have to say that I still find the PalmOS 5.x quite adequate and I do rather like it's interface even if the graphics are a bit dated.

Cheers.
    Quote Originally Posted by VTTQU View Post
    ..and that the free handed drawing NotePad app is not included with the Centro...
    Is something like DiddleBug what you had in mind?
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fstopstigmata View Post
    Is something like DiddleBug what you had in mind?
    Thanks for the suggestion. I may have to resort to DibbleBug on the Centro.

I used to use DiddleBug on the PalmIIIe but I would like to find an app that has a MacOS X compatible desktop/conduit version.

The Palm NotePad had a basic desktop app for MacOS X.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I may have to resort to DibbleBug on the Centro.

I used to use DiddleBug on the PalmIIIe but I would like to find an app that has a MacOS X compatible desktop/conduit version.

The Palm NotePad had a basic desktop app for MacOS X.
    Maybe someone here has an old Palm & can email you a copy? Let me know if you ever get it, I'd be interested in getting it myself.
    FStop, you're amazing. Thanks for another great link. I've been trying to live without Notepad, trying the To Do list...or Memos...but nothing really does the job. It would be nice to see on the Palm Desktop, too, but you can't have everything, can you?
    The only shortcoming with Diddlebug (and it is minor and I have learned not to care) is that for some reason, the way it handles alarms doesn't register with the Attention Manager.

So, althought ATTNGRAB will light the LED for missed alrams from the standard PIM apps, it won't for any missed alarms on Diddlebug.

Like I said, minor but worth mentioning.
    For me it really was 1 issue - multi-tasking. Otherwise, the Centro is an excellent device.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
    I don't even think the Centro is behind the times. It does everything that I want/need and tons more that I don't even want. And it works very reliably. My only issue with it is battery life, but I work at a desk and keep it plugged in most of the time. So battery life isn't really an issue for me personally most days, although it could be better.

Enjoy!
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Maybe someone here has an old Palm & can email you a copy? Let me know if you ever get it, I'd be interested in getting it myself.
    I have the desktop version of Note Pad 2.0.1 and it's conduit, but it doesn't do anything with the Centro because the Centro doesn't have the Note Pad app.

I will try to move the app from the Zire 72s to the Centro(any suggestions on how to do this?), but I guess there is no guarantee that it will actually work it sync.
    Hmmm. Interesting idea. Surely someone's already tried this and failed. I'm sure curious why it's on the desktop view as well...but I don't think you can split it out of the Palm app. I had it on my T3, about two dozen of them! And they're on the desktop now, but not the Centro. Weird. I'm sure this got talked out when the Centro was released, but those of us late to the game missed that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zorro1 View Post
    FStop, you're amazing. Thanks for another great link.
    You're welcome :-D

Quote Originally Posted by deibelsan View Post
    The only shortcoming with Diddlebug (and it is minor and I have learned not to care) is that for some reason, the way it handles alarms doesn't register with the Attention Manager.

So, althought ATTNGRAB will light the LED for missed alrams from the standard PIM apps, it won't for any missed alarms on Diddlebug.

Like I said, minor but worth mentioning.
    No, very major in my opinion. I stopped using DiddleBug because of this. I prefer to use Calendar for long-term & the recently-released Timer for short-term (it's the only simple timer app I've ever found that will vibrate and use the Attention Manager)

I have the desktop version of Note Pad 2.0.1 and it's conduit, but it doesn't do anything with the Centro because the Centro doesn't have the Note Pad app.

I will try to move the app from the Zire 72s to the Centro(any suggestions on how to do this?), but I guess there is no guarantee that it will actually work it sync.
    The Centro is my first Palm device, so I'm not sure if the older models work exactly the same, but when you HotSync, your apps are saved in the backup folder. When you delete an app off the device, it stays in the backup folder. I have apps in there I tried for one day & deleted over a year ago. So if you can Hotsync your old device, you can try finding the Note Pad app in that backup folder & syncing it to your Centro.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    when you HotSync, your apps are saved in the backup folder. When you delete an app off the device, it stays in the backup folder. I have apps in there I tried for one day & deleted over a year ago. So if you can Hotsync your old device, you can try finding the Note Pad app in that backup folder & syncing it to your Centro.
    Unfortunately, the bundled apps such as Contacts, Calendar, and Note Pad do not seem to be copied to the desktop backup folder.
    I still may be able to figure something out though...

fstopstigmata, as you syncing with OS X?
    Can't live without this app, but it doesn't sync with the desktop notepad.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Everex Freestyle - Casio E-105 - Palm Vx - Treo 90 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Treo 650 - Treo 700p -Centro
    Is that the Palm Notepad, JZ?
    Yes it is, I believe v2.3 from the m105 I believe.
    Everex Freestyle - Casio E-105 - Palm Vx - Treo 90 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Treo 650 - Treo 700p -Centro
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast