Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1.    #1  
    I am seriously reconsidering and may go for the Pre, despite two years of almost flawless 755p service. Thing is, I have become a "wizard" of sorts, using my 755p with one hand and thumb. I will need that Pre keyboard. A touchscreen keyboard, will require two hands. Anyone using a touchscreen keyboard with one hand?
  2. tdcrone's Avatar
    Posts
    52 Posts
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    #2  
    I used my 755 for about 2 years, and eventually the keyboard and charging port started to get flaky. Thus I upgraded to a Touch Pro off Craigslist.

    Anyway I was 75% Treo versus PC for non-work internet use, on the TP I'm closer to 100%. I used the 755 one-handed most of the time, and I use the TP only slightly less often one-handed with the onscreen keyboard. The capacitive Pre should be easier but I'm pretty happy as it is, plus I get to use a stylus if my hands are dirty (good when working on the car). Some things are more difficult with the onscreen keyboard as I'm still only 80% accurate (first hit = right key), and I'm not quite used to the wider keyboard for composing long messages, but overall it has been an easier transition than I expected, and it does seem that I'm getting better the more I write. Windows was not designed for finger tapping but most newer applications and several onscreen keyboards are usable without the stylus.

    Having taken the path I'm glad I have the screen real estate versus the Treo Pro's keyboard, for what that's worth. I'm probably not going to migrate to the Pre, at least for a while, but I still have my upgrade credit just in case.

    Good luck,
    Tim
    who is too lazy to change his RSS feeds.
  3. tdcrone's Avatar
    Posts
    52 Posts
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    #3  
    Oh, and if I totally missed the point, the Pre's keyboard while small, will probably be okay one-handed, from what I've read. I wouldn't let that concern stop you from trying the phone in the store, if you have other reasons for beimg dissatisfied with the 755.

    -Tim
    who composed this message with only his right-hand thumb.
  4. #4  
    don't get me wrong I'm not bashing the pre but there are some things that may push me back to a Treo

    1. battery life is number one. hopefully there is a fix coming asap. also what's up with the heat?

    2. keyboard is a little small. if a virtual keyboard app comes out this might be useful for those quick IM's/SMS without having to slide the keyboard out

    3. there is a lot of excitement about the ability to multitask....I was already doing this (to some extent) switching between email, calendar, notes, tasks with the shortcut keys. I was getting a full day and a half of heavy use on my treo 755P

    4. if I left a webpage and came back the treo would resume where I left off. web pages were automatically sized. I find myself spending a lot of time pinching in/out just to get the webpages right on the pre. I was able to jump to bookmarks quickly using my short cut key where on the pre it takes much longer.

    5. treo had the ability copy n paste from within webpages. I could also click on a number in a email or webpage and put a *67 in front to block my number when dialing

    6. I could specify which reply to address to show in versamail

    7. signal strength seems a little spotty

    8. what made the treo great was the one handed operation. the pre has some of that but for everyday use you will find yourself having to hold it two handed

    a lot of these may be little issues compared all the other stuff we are gaining. when the SDK is released I'm sure there will be hundreds of cools apps. for me the list I provided are just practical every day stuff I need. playing videos, synching with itunes, cool iphone like navigation, gps, sprint tv are nice to have's but not critical.

    I also think Palm made a HUGE mistake not giving us the ability to synch natively with outlook. If you remember what made Palm great was their simple PIM application! I don't think they realize how many of their current customer base are business users and how many of their customers are actually using outlook. I think they were really focused on trying to draw new customers with all these snazzy new features. Palm please give us back the ability to synch locally with outlook/palm desktop!!

    To summarize if palm can fix the battery life and offer the ability to synch with outlook (contacts, calendar, notes, tasks) easily then I might consider staying. I am hoping that fixes or new apps are on the way to help.
  5. #5  
    I've not heard anyone have this complaint but as a new Pre owner I think this will be a deal breaker for me. I'm thinking of taking the Pre back. Here's my complaint.

    I have ADHD and have used my Palm for 3 years as "an extension of my brain." (I realize I just went out on a limb with that statement so please be nice). Anyway, I use my contacts in a very unusual way.


    When dealing with a contact related to sailing I make sure I put the word "sailing" in the notes section within the contact. Likewise for "plumbers, electrician, dance", and different club members. When I forget a person's name I simply use the "Find" and it searches the phone for, let's say, "sail" and I'm taken to a list of ALL THE PLACES I have the word sail entered (contacts, memos, calendar etc.).

    To take that function away is like taking part of my brain away (remember please be nice). Also realize, I'm not just talking about finding a name within contacts but I'm talking about finding a name within the notes portion.
    Unless Pre is able to get that fix there's no way I can keep it.
    Does anyone have a suggestion?
  6. #6  
    I completely understand what your Palm means to you, I would be totally lost without my phone. I recently switched from a 755 (previously a 650) to a blackberry curve and am very pleased. They also have a search function like the 755.

    (sprint now offering the curve 8330 for $49 with a new 2 year contract. not affiliated, it is just a darn good price)
    Sprint Treo 755p (blue) with SanDisk 2GB miniSD card. some of my apps installed: TakephOne, DateBk6, 2Day, 4Cast, BellTime 1.0, Palm PDF, Pocket Tunes Deluxe, Kinoma 4, TCPMP, Webmessenger, Card Reader, Slingplayer Mobile, Mobipocket Reader, PS Memo, Virtual Piano, Resco Backup, Cleanup, Uninstall, Destaller, Virtual Piano, Favogo, Snap, Thesaurus, TryDA, Colorize, ChatterEmail, DBFixit, Icon Manager, Noah Pro Dictionary, zLauncher, FileZ, RNS Cuckoo Clock, 25 games.
  7. #7  
    Dollface...how are you adjusting to not having all of those Palm apps? Have you been able to find replacements for them? And if yes, how do they compare to the Palm apps both visibly and functionally?

    I was tempted to get a Pre this past weekend, but the lack of external memory (backups are a must) and lack of pc sync killed any chance of me switching my 755 for a 1st generation Pre. I'm old and my stuff doesn't live in "the cloud".
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by doublenickels View Post
    I am seriously reconsidering and may go for the Pre, despite two years of almost flawless 755p service. Thing is, I have become a "wizard" of sorts, using my 755p with one hand and thumb. I will need that Pre keyboard. A touchscreen keyboard, will require two hands. Anyone using a touchscreen keyboard with one hand?
    Just to be clear, you do know that the Pre does not have a "touchscreen keyboard," right?
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by dancebborn View Post
    I've not heard anyone have this complaint but as a new Pre owner I think this will be a deal breaker for me. I'm thinking of taking the Pre back. Here's my complaint.

    I have ADHD and have used my Palm for 3 years as "an extension of my brain." (I realize I just went out on a limb with that statement so please be nice). Anyway, I use my contacts in a very unusual way.


    When dealing with a contact related to sailing I make sure I put the word "sailing" in the notes section within the contact. Likewise for "plumbers, electrician, dance", and different club members. When I forget a person's name I simply use the "Find" and it searches the phone for, let's say, "sail" and I'm taken to a list of ALL THE PLACES I have the word sail entered (contacts, memos, calendar etc.).

    To take that function away is like taking part of my brain away (remember please be nice). Also realize, I'm not just talking about finding a name within contacts but I'm talking about finding a name within the notes portion.
    Unless Pre is able to get that fix there's no way I can keep it.
    Does anyone have a suggestion?
    I'd get creative and find another field to put "sail" and the like - even if it has to be a field that's not meant for such things. As a last resort, I might add it to one of the "name" fields.

    It won't be ideal, but if you're good with Excel, you could automate some of these insertions - unless there are so few that you'd prefer to do them by-hand.

    If that's your biggest problem with the Pre, I'd definitely hold onto it. There are solutions out there, I'm sure.

    Best of luck and welcome to the forums!
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  10. #10  
    I would bet money a virtual on screen keyboard is coming which would invaluable for quick IM's, SMS, emails without the need to slide out the keyboard everytime!

    just a matter of time since the SDK has been released there will be tons of apps
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by greatdeals View Post
    I would bet money a virtual on screen keyboard is coming which would invaluable for quick IM's, SMS, emails without the need to slide out the keyboard everytime!

    just a matter of time since the SDK has been released there will be tons of apps
    I hadn't heard. What makes you think it's been released?
  12. michie's Avatar
    Posts
    1 Posts
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by krazman View Post
    Dollface...how are you adjusting to not having all of those Palm apps? Have you been able to find replacements for them? And if yes, how do they compare to the Palm apps both visibly and functionally?

    I was tempted to get a Pre this past weekend, but the lack of external memory (backups are a must) and lack of pc sync killed any chance of me switching my 755 for a 1st generation Pre. I'm old and my stuff doesn't live in "the cloud".
    I agree. I also switched to a BB for 2 weeks but came running back when I couldn't even find a comparable app for Ultrasoft Checkbook. I tried Agendus for BB on it and it was no better, so the phone was promptly returned. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.
  13. #13  
    I was enamored with the Pre at CES, but after handling one twice, I'm officially a hater.

    The KB stinks. I thought my 755 was bad, but it is amazing compared to the Pre's KB.

    The web browser stinks. I like big pages being resized to the screen, and there seems to be no provision for this. Constant scrolliing back, forth, up and down is nauseating.

    No memory card. Backing up is easy with the card, and backing up the card is as easy as placing in a desktop and copying. I don't know what kind of external backup is available, but the guy from Palm just said it backs up to the cloud.

    Also, 8gb sounds big, but remember when 32mb sounded big? Expansion cards of some sort should have been included.

    The battery life stinks. Ok, some folks like form over function, but how about a big extended battery pack for those of us that live in the real world?

    The GPS stinks. Oh, I'm sure it works, but it has to download maps over the net, on the fly, which means if you are without signal, you are without maps. Last year I lost signal on my 755 going to a more rural area of CA, and I couldn't get any map updates on Google maps because the signal was non-existant. Some base maps should have been included.

    Did I mention the KB stinks? Why not a side slider like the TMobile G1? What kind of lilliputian gnomes are Palm targeting with this KB? And on that point, the whole phone is too damn small. When I got a chance to hold one and use it a bit, I asked the palm rep, "Does it come in an adult size?"

    No Graffiti. I had to enable it with a hack on the 755, but at least it was there.

    The lack of the same contacts database as mentioned above stinks. Don't know how much that would affect me, but it can't be good for importing the old data.

    Well, my contract is up in ten months, and when it is, I'm jumping ship, both from Palm, and forgoing any better phone selection, from Sprint. Palm blew it, as far as I'm concerned, by ignoring what they had that worked and ignoring their customer base.
  14. #14  
    I've only actually held the Pre for about 5 minutes at the Sprint store and even then the phone was broken and not turned on. Still, I'm solidly leaning toward the TPro for my next phone to replace the 755p not the Pre. Several immediate reasons (and probably more if I could play with the Pre for a while):

    1.) Agreed, d-pad and one handed operation are KING. The TP might be the last "Treo" form factor, at least for a while so I'm thinking of investing for the next couple of years while WebOS matures a bit. Overall the treo formfactor has been my favorite phone layout of all the phones I've tried.

    I have to disagree with a poster above...by far the best phone keyboard ever is on the 755p..IMHO of course. The keys are perfectly hard and rounded for me...I absolutly love it and will miss it dearly.

    2.) I also have a work i760 and have gotten familiar with WinMo (god help me). Still plenty of juice in that jar even if WinMo isn't the most fashionable of OS's (SPB Mobile Shell spruces it up a bit tho...). Hell, I stood by garnet for how may years now? I have WM software, etc. Outlook integration is mature. Browser is awful...

    3.) The Pre is obviously beta...hardware and software. Don't get me wrong, I can see myself in WebOS clothing...someday...when the bugs are kinda more worked out. The Pre is a great start...One year from now it'll be even better...polished, with apps to choose from, new hardware perhaps...more better, you know...

Posting Permissions