Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1.    #1  
    A new version of Megalauncher is out. MLIII looks great and could give silverscreen a run for the money in the features catagory. IF ML3 could do "skins", SS would be out.

    http://www.palmgear.com/software/sho...5&prodID=11382
  2. #2  
    Thanks for the post, I checked it out. So far looks cool, love the new 16 bit colors. However it forgot all my app categories from prior version and i have to go through and reset them all. kind of a pain.
  3. 8100User's Avatar
    Posts
    23 Posts
    Global Posts
    191 Global Posts
    #3  
    Launcher III is Free. Is Mega Launcher really worth the $20 more?

    Just curious.
  4. #4  
    MegaLauncher is very fast and much more customizable than Launcher III. It has more features and integrates directly with the archive program and overclocking program from MegaSoft.

    These features may be worth $20 to you, they may not. I like both programs and am not sure which is better.

    Frankly, $20 is not a deciding factor for something that I am going to use dozens of times per day. For me, it is a case of which better suits my usage style. I don't know yet, but I will post something up here once I do (unless I forget).
  5. #5  
    Originally posted by bradhaak
    MegaLauncher is very fast and much more customizable than Launcher III. It has more features and integrates directly with the archive program and overclocking program from MegaSoft.

    Well, I guess very fast is very subjective. Everytime it reloads its menus, it has to go to the card and do a direct S_L_O_W read. Takes quite awhile longer to give control of your PDA back to you than Launcher does. Launcher is still in beta (VFS support portion, anyway) and is faster than anything else I've used. IF ML had an option not to rescan before reloading, I'd look at it more seriouly.
  6. #6  
    There is an option for skins in MLIII, but it says "There is no installed skin database on your device. You can download skin databases from www.megasoft2000.com" But I don't see anywhere to download any skin databases on their site. Am I missing it? Or is it just too new to have skins yet.

    What I'd really like to see is PocketSensei (silverscreen makers) open up their source so that Users can create their own skins like you can for Windows. If MLIII did that first, lookout Silverscreen!!!

    - Burns

    [edited for URL mistake ]
    Last edited by Burns; 09/07/2001 at 10:21 AM.
    Check out my page on Visors:
    Burn's Visor page
  7.    #7  
    Originally posted by Burns
    There is an option for skins in MLIII, but it says "There is no installed skin database on your device. You can download skin databases from www.megasoft.com"- Burns
    FYI..... the URL is http://www.megasoft2000.com/ not megasoft.com
  8. #8  
    noted and corrected. boy do I feel dumb

    - Burns
    Check out my page on Visors:
    Burn's Visor page
  9. #9  
    Originally posted by dsilver


    Well, I guess very fast is very subjective. Everytime it reloads its menus, it has to go to the card and do a direct S_L_O_W read. Takes quite awhile longer to give control of your PDA back to you than Launcher does. Launcher is still in beta (VFS support portion, anyway) and is faster than anything else I've used. IF ML had an option not to rescan before reloading, I'd look at it more seriouly.
    Fast can be subjective, but in this case isn't.

    On my m505, tested the Launcher III beta and the new MegaLauncher by loading an app (Cribbage) from system memoey and then switch back to the launcher. I do have Launcher III set to always refresh, because I tend to frequently swap cards while the launcher isn't running. I ran the test ten times for each launcher.

    On my system, MegaLauncher takes about 1-1/3 second to start. Launcher III takes about 1-2/3 second to launch. This is by no means conclusive, but is noticable for me. I am sure that if I turned of the auto refresh Launcher III would be slightly faster, but then it would also be unusable for me.

    As far as use, MegaLauncher is still very flawed on category selection, since it can only display three categories at a time. This means that unless the category you want is one of these three, you will need one more tap to dselect a category than in Launcher III.

    What redeeems MegaLauncher is the Favorites, Common, and Recently used list. these are great. The expert beaming and delete are great, and the compression is fantastic for databases that you want to keep on your device but don't use very often.

    BTW, I just discovered something really cool last night. I was running McFile 2.0 beta 4 when somebody beamed an app to me. Instead of switching to the OS beaming app, McFile received the program and at the end, asked me where i wanted it. When I selected the memory card, it let me pick a folder - very Cool.

Posting Permissions