1.    #1  
    Anyone checkout iSilo 3.0 beta? It says it supports 16bit color and much more. Haven't actually tried it yet. Here is the link.

http://www.isilo.com/beta/

ethos
    I'm pioughed about the new version. Version 3 is almost four times the size of version 2, and I'm not sure the advantages make up for the extra bloat, especially if your device is monochrome.
    iSilo 3 provides all the functionality that I was missing in the previous version. You only need to llok at the supplied display sample to see the improvements:
    * Tables
    * 16-bit colour or 4-bit greyscale
    * and the biggy - VFS

It's a must...
    ISilo3 handles VFS much better than the PalmReader, as it doesn't create an annoying file for each document in your base RAM (which is often as much as 1/3 of the size of the document). It's a touch faster...

The downside is that with the PalmReader, once you've opened it, it open fast from then on, ISilo takes a while every time opening a VFS file (i.e. anything over 500k).

What I need is a doc reader that (a)doesn't bloat itself into my RAM for each doc, and (b)opens large VFS docs very quickly.

...waiting...
  5.    #5  
    I haven't had a chance to load it yet. Is it pretty stable?
    Originally posted by ethos
    I haven't had a chance to load it yet. Is it pretty stable?
    So far, so good.

The speed thing is starting to get to me, although I will admit that I havn't tried loading large ISilo docs off the CF card, just large Palm Docs. There may be a sig. difference.
    Originally posted by nurcombe
    iSilo 3 provides all the functionality that I was missing in the previous version. You only need to llok at the supplied display sample to see the improvements:
    * Tables
    * 16-bit colour or 4-bit greyscale
    * and the biggy - VFS

It's a must...
    What am I missing here? I thought VFS was useful only on a number of non-Handspring PDA's.
    Originally posted by VancouverCanuck
    What am I missing here? I thought VFS was useful only on a number of non-Handspring PDA's.
    If you have a matchbook adapter or a Flashplus from Innopocket (Matchbook is in liquidation, and still has some adapters left, I think), you can use Kopsis Engineering's VFSHelper to emulate VFS on the Visor (3.1 and 3.5), thus giving you the same functionality on a speedy CF card that the M50x, the Clie, and the Handera have with their expansion slots.

I'm not sure, but MemPlug may be doing the same kind of thing. There's been battles before, but I prefer the outstanding software support that Kopsis offers, and so I stick with them.

The Matchbook + CF is by far the cheapest memory expansion solution out there.
    Originally posted by VancouverCanuck
    You are correct -- that was the case before kopsisengineering.com starting developing VFSHelper, which is a VFS manager, enabling Visors with FlashAdapter compatible Springboard modules to use VFS. VFSHelper is currently in beta.

. . . . Brian
  10.    #10  
    Originally posted by dietrichbohn

I'm not sure, but MemPlug may be doing the same kind of thing.

Memplug is working on VFS. Checkit out.

http://www.memplug.com/Prodinfo/PiVFS.htm
    i forgot to mention one of the best benefits of ISilo3: It searches for documents in the palm/programs/ISilo directory, and can move files there also. Which means that the Palm/Launcher directory isn't cluttered with texts that Launcher III has to slog through.

Any VFS-enabled software that requires you to place files into the launcher directory (besides the launcher software, that is) is poorly written, IMO.
  12.    #12  

The speed thing is starting to get to me, although I will admit that I havn't tried loading large ISilo docs off the CF card, just large Palm Docs. There may be a sig. difference.

Have you considered using afterburner or FastCPU to speed up iSilo?

Or is it just the nature of accessing data of a Memplug or CF type card?
    Originally posted by ethos
    Have you considered using afterburner or FastCPU to speed up iSilo?
    Or is it just the nature of accessing data of a Memplug or CF type card?
    That's just the nature of CF, it's slower than the internal RAM. However, I hear it's much faster than a SD or MMC card, so I can't complain.
    ISilo3 handles VFS much better than the PalmReader, as it doesn't create an annoying file for each document in your base RAM (which is often as much as 1/3 of the size of the document). It's a touch faster...

The downside is that with the PalmReader, once you've opened it, it open fast from then on, ISilo takes a while every time opening a VFS file (i.e. anything over 500k).

What I need is a doc reader that (a)doesn't bloat itself into my RAM for each doc, and (b)opens large VFS docs very quickly.

...waiting...
    Have you tried TealDoc? I think it supports VFS and it certainly isn't bloatware.