1.    #1  
    Though there are far better ways for getting aol mail, the now ancient aol 3.3.3 software still is the simplest and quickest. I had been using it for years with no problem...

However, I recently have been finding that of the four aol accounts I have, three now give the error message that the wrong password has been used and will not let me sign on (though I know the passwords are correct).

I have a Centro and have uninstalled the software and loaded it again, but still the error message pops up. Anyone have any idea how to fix this?
    "This space intentionally left blank."
  2.    #2  
    Anyone have any experience with this?
    I bought the AOL software for Treo a while back but stopped using it after I did not get the support I needed.

Usually problems get resolved via a clean re-install.
  4.    #4  
    Tried the clean install but problem persists..does not recognize sign on pass code, keeps on saying wrong pass code when I know it is right.
    Now that I remember it, you know I did run into this exact error. The problem was I changed my password with a special character and the AOL software could not take the special character and pass it back to the AOL security validation correctly. I called emailed support and all they could tell me is to change my password without the special character.
  6.    #6  
    Thanks for the response...but I have been using the same passcode for ages...it just stopped recognizing it for some reason...Perhaps I ought to change it and see what happens...
    Did that passcode used to work with Palm AOL software? Just don't know if the software had a problem comm. with AOL servers. Could be temporary.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000 View Post
    Did that passcode used to work with Palm AOL software? Just don't know if the software had a problem comm. with AOL servers. Could be temporary.

Yes..it worked with Palm AOL software just fine. The funky stuff started happening when I changed the passcode on one of my aol names. Then a week or so later the other four names (using the same pass code) stopped working. I then tried using the changed pass code on the four names but with no luck. Just wacky.
    I really think its how the AOL 3.3.3 authenticates to the AOL server that's causing the issue. Since you only change the password to one account, why would the other accounts start having issue? You already said you have re-installed the software. I am not sure of the uninstall leaves some leftover info behind that is causing the authorization problem.
  10.    #10  
    I really think its how the AOL 3.3.3 authenticates to the AOL server that's causing the issue. Since you only change the password to one account, why would the other accounts start having issue? You already said you have re-installed the software. I am not sure of the uninstall leaves some leftover info behind that is causing the authorization problem.
    Alas, it is next to impossible to know what and if any "artifacts" from the uninstall might be causing the problem.
    Actually you can try Filez and view files by the author or with paid software like Resco Explorer or Uninstall by North Glide with the last two allowing you to view and remove save and unsaved preference entries.

There could more, I just don't remember.

Just as a caveat emptor: A good backup is always required if you are tinkering at this level.
  12.    #12  
    Actually you can try Filez and view files by the author or with paid software like Resco Explorer or Uninstall by North Glide with the last two allowing you to view and remove save and unsaved preference entries.

There could more, I just don't remember.

Just as a caveat emptor: A good backup is always required if you are tinkering at this level.
    =====

Well, here is the latest...I reset my Centro and installed a complete backup set that was recorded long before the AOL problem started. However, AOL for Palm still does not work. This would rule out any artifacts causing the situation, but rather leads me to believe it is has been some change on AOL's part. Then again, that one AOL name has always been able to sign on...so the whole thing is rather baffling.
    This AOL 3.3 Build 002 program works fine on my Sprint Treo 755p. I just tested it just now. It's been working well for past 3 years since I've had it. I use Chatter as my primary email though.
    Casey
    Sprint 755p, 700p, 650 - I am not a geek! Really!
    Yeah, it works when it works but again if something is changed on the AOL server side or if the software cannot handle the change, it flakes out on me. In my case was the password change.
  15.    #15  
    [QUOTE=ronbo2000;1617683]Yeah, it works when it works but again if something is changed on the AOL server side or if the software cannot handle the change, it flakes out on me. In my case was the password change.[/QUOTE

Ditto...my AOL software had been working pretty much problem free until the last couple of weeks (unable to now recognize password, though it is correct). When it fails, it fails big-time...
  16.    #16  
    Quick question if I am using versamail (instead of AOL) is there any way to get it to rretrieve all the mail that is in my inbox and not just new mail? I have tried configuring it but no luck. After I get the new mail and sign on, it will not fetch what is in my in box...