Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1.    #1  
    Their site says the following are the new features in 5.0: (http://www.pocket-tunes.com/)

    "NEW IN 5.0. Automatically download your favorite podcasts and browse/search a growing catalog of over 1,000 most popular podcasts.
    NEW IN 5.0. Sync your iTunes playlists with your Palm OS or Windows Mobile smartphone or PDA.
    NEW IN 5.0. Expanded catalog of Internet radio stations with support for WMA.
    NEW IN 5.0. Track played songs to your Last.fm profile - it's called scrobbling™."

    I'm wondering if any of the above means that the user can go to NPR's site and click the "Listen Now" links... and have them play.

    Anyone know about that?
  2. TRgEOff's Avatar
    Posts
    589 Posts
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    #2  
    It seems not. When I tried to link to a Listen Now link via Blazer, it told me I needed the NPR Media Player, which being Flash based is not going to work on a treo. There are of course a billion and one NPR podcasts available, and PTunes is happy to deal with those (but you dont need 5.0 particularly for that). I DL podcasts via iTunes on my PC overnight and sync them in the morning.
    geoff

    Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
  3. IBall's Avatar
    Posts
    81 Posts
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    #3  
    You could also just copy the link from a PC and email it to your treo, or just copy it into the internet radio's "add" feature.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by TRgEOff View Post
    It seems not. When I tried to link to a Listen Now link via Blazer, it told me I needed the NPR Media Player, which being Flash based is not going to work on a treo. There are of course a billion and one NPR podcasts available, and PTunes is happy to deal with those (but you dont need 5.0 particularly for that). I DL podcasts via iTunes on my PC overnight and sync them in the morning.
    I usually use Kinoma so I don't have to worry about downloading or transferring anything.

    Quote Originally Posted by RBallard View Post
    You could also just copy the link from a PC and email it to your treo, or just copy it into the internet radio's "add" feature.
    In my experience, a link doesn't work by clicking on it, the url won't work via PTunes either.

    Thanks to both of you.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  5. #5  
    The only feature I use in 5.0 that I didn't in 4.0 was last.fm scrobbing.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by jackkoho View Post
    The only feature I use in 5.0 that I didn't in 4.0 was last.fm scrobbing.
    What is that? I see the description in my original post but still...
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  7. LarryF's Avatar
    Posts
    33 Posts
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    Their site says the following are the new features in 5.0: (Pocket Tunes : Palm MP3 Player : Treo MP3 Player : Palm WMA Player)

    "NEW IN 5.0. Automatically download your favorite podcasts and browse/search a growing catalog of over 1,000 most popular podcasts.
    I confess I was skeptical of the Podcast feature, but finally tried it out on a daily basis. I LOVE it. I've got 7 or so Podcasts entered, and have 1 or 2 downloaded for me to listen to each night. Very nice.

    I've tried Podcasts with Kinoma, but streaming is all but impossible over Edge, and it doesn't download very well, if at all - certainly not unattended at 2 in the morning as Pocket-Tunes does. :^)

    If you are a Podcast listener, it's a great upgrade (in my opinion).

    Now. If they could just get rid of that "Scanning for music" function/delay!

    Larry
  8. #8  
    Larry,

    Quote Originally Posted by LarryF View Post
    I've tried Podcasts with Kinoma, but streaming is all but impossible over Edge, and it doesn't download very well, if at all - certainly not unattended at 2 in the morning as Pocket-Tunes does.
    Correct, Kinoma Play lets you download podcasts (in the foreground or background) but it's just done on request.

    Hypothetically, would you switch if Kinoma Play could also automatically download your podcasts in addition to streaming them? (I'm wondering if it's worth our time to consider.)

    -- Charles Wiltgen
    Kinoma Notes blog | Subscribe to blog (email) | Subscribe to blog (RSS) | Follow Kinoma for news/content alerts | Follow KinomaTips for tips/tricks
  9. LarryF's Avatar
    Posts
    33 Posts
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles@Kinoma View Post
    Larry,

    Hypothetically, would you switch if Kinoma Play could also automatically download your podcasts in addition to streaming them? (I'm wondering if it's worth our time to consider.)

    -- Charles Wiltgen
    Well, with due respect to PocketTunes, the interface in Kinoma (we're talking the Palm version here) is stunning - as is the support (and display) of RSS feeds. So yes, if Kinoma supported timed downloads, I'd definitely use it.

    Larry
  10. #10  
    nice man...

Posting Permissions