Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    I just bought a Centro for my wife off of Ebay. I am a WinMo user, and I know absolutlely zero about PalmOS.

It will primarily be used for email, calender, sms, mms, facebook and light internet browsing.

Recommendations for...

push email with gmail?
    maybe a calender sync?
    facebook app?

Any other tips would be appreciated too. Thanks.
    What carrier are you using?

For Facebook I reccomend to forget about the app & use m.facebook.com (if you have data on your plan, that is). The app is very limited & outdated.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbc28 View Post
    I just bought a Centro for my wife off of Ebay. I am a WinMo user, and I know absolutlely zero about PalmOS.

It will primarily be used for email, calender, sms, mms, facebook and light internet browsing.

Recommendations for...

push email with gmail?
    maybe a calender sync?
    facebook app?

Any other tips would be appreciated too. Thanks.
    I'm assuming you have a Sprint, but I would think they all have Versamail. Just set up Versamail (or the email program that comes installed) and set it to check for email as often as you would like (there is an option in the menu). It's not really "push", but close enough for most people. I actually check mine when I want to. As for calendar, make sure you install the CD that comes with the phone and you can choose to sync with either Outlook or Palm Desktop. There is an ap for Facebook. I almost like it better than on the computer because there are no ads. But like mentioned before, it's not much of an ap.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    Although no longer supported, I still think the best email client out there for Palm OS is Chatteremail. Just not sure you can buy it anymore as Palm owns it now and took it off the market. You might take a look at Palmgear.com and see if they have it. If not, the stock email client (Versamail) will work, but has its limitations. I'm not sure if it will do push with gmail or if it even does push at all. For calendar sync, I'd recommend Pimlico's Datebook 6. Agendus also offers a robust calendar program (actually both integrate your PIM data). If you want something simple but elegant, I'd recommend TMP. If you want something simple and aesthetically pleasing I'd recommend 2Day from ShSh.com. I agree with the previous poster about Facebook. Currently your only two options are to go to the web or use the very limited Facebook app.
    All for One and One for All!
    Quote Originally Posted by RickMG View Post
    I'm assuming you have a Sprint, but I would think they all have Versamail. Just set up Versamail (or the email program that comes installed) and set it to check for email as often as you would like (there is an option in the menu). It's not really "push", but close enough for most people.
    (I'm mobile, so I couldn't see any hint of carrier, but in the case of Sprint):

If you use Versamail you can have it check every 5 minutes, or 15 minutes, or 30 minutes, 1 hour, 2 hours.. etc.

But if you want true push email (for 'free') you should use the Sprint Mobile Email app that comes with the phone. I love almost everything about it & would still be using it to this day, except for one tiny little poorly written/stupidly overlooked aspect of the app: It doesn't use Palm's Attention Manager. Deal-breaker. But if you can lice without that, then the app should be as good as gold to you.
    Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    Forgot to mention that is on Sprint...sorry. Thanks for the suggestions. Like I said this will be for the wife and primarily used as a "social" tool. She doesn't receive a lot of email or enter many calendar events, but I think she may find herself using it more and more. We do have unlimited data, so there won't be any data restrictions.

Does the Sprint email use a type of pseudo push that is initialized by a sms? That is what I am using with my 800w, and it works really well for me. We each only have one email acct anyway.
    Yea, the sms push is how they do it. If she sets it up & decides to switch to a different email app, make sure to completely disable the syncing before deleting the app or else she'll get an sms of gibberish every time an email is recieved.
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    Not answering your questions... The number one thing you should do is set up your automatic backup strategy (because it's easy and cheap and a lifesaver):

1. put in a μSD card,
    2. install freeware NVBackup ( NVBackup 1.22 b9 (for Palm OS) - mytreo.net/downloads )
    3. Have it set up to do backups during the wee hours (I have a revolving window of three successive daily backups).

Then if you have to hard reset, or replace the Centro with another, you just pop in the μSD card and restore, et voila, you're good to go.
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Forgot to mention that is on Sprint...sorry. Thanks for the suggestions. Like I said this will be for the wife and primarily used as a "social" tool. She doesn't receive a lot of email or enter many calendar events, but I think she may find herself using it more and more. We do have unlimited data, so there won't be any data restrictions.

Does the Sprint email use a type of pseudo push that is initialized by a sms? That is what I am using with my 800w, and it works really well for me. We each only have one email acct anyway.
    I know the sprint email program that comes with wm will only do one account, the one that comes with palm will do several, just thought I'd mention that, I wish the wm one wold do several too.
    Terry
    Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    I think that I may have been scammed on Ebay. Fingers crossed.
    Uh oh.. what happened?

I believe there's a 60 (90?) day period where you can raise an eBay dispute for 'item not as described,' if that helps you any...
    Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    Well, I sent a money order last week overnight, and I have not got any response to any emails. The auction looked legit, and she had 100% feedback on 3 items sold. It was a paypal only auction, but I asked if I could pay with a money order because I had just withdrawn all of my paypal money. She immediately responded then, but now she does not.

It doesn't make sense to set up a paypal only auction if your intention is too scam someone does it? She did not suggest completing the sale off of ebay or anything like that. The pictures of the phone and the description looked legit. I hope that I am just being paranoid. This was supposed to be a birthday present for my wife. Damn.
    I would wait. Sometimes the seller is just not availible to respond.
    Yea, I've won something just as the seller left the country for a month.. they got back home to like a dozen angry emails from me :-x
    Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    Finally an answered email....my faith in humanity is restored.
    Well, I sent a money order last week overnight, and I have not got any response to any emails.
    You NEVER send cash, money order or wire transfer on any auction site. Use PayPal only.
    Mike
    set up Gmail POP email and then just set up the free included Versamail to check it every 1 hour.

good luck!
    Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mbranscum View Post
    You NEVER send cash, money order or wire transfer on any auction site. Use PayPal only.
    I normally don't, but my paypal was empty. It seems to take 4 or 5 days for the money to transfer from my account. I only found the auction a few hours before it ended.
    Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    set up Gmail POP email and then just set up the free included Versamail to check it every 1 hour.

good luck!
    Thanks...I think this may the best for her. Push would be overkill.
    Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    I have been playing with a friend's Centro while waiting for the USPS to deliver my wife's. I have noticed that I can't seem to make the calendar show the week's appointments on the main screen. It will only show that day's appointments. Am I missing something? I would like it to be like winmo's calendar plug in. I use Today Agenda on my 800w to clean up the today screen some.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast