Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    Ok, so maybe this forum will be a little biased but I still want to know

I'm going to buy my daughter a new phone for her 15th birthday next month and I'm torn over what to buy (on Sprint). Normally I would have said the Centro without giving it a second thought. But when the Pre and WebOS come out is the Palm OS going to be worth having anymore?

I need a phone that is durable enough to handle around 10,000 text message each and every month. Other than the Centro I've considered the Instinct S30 and the new Sanyo 2700 but both of those phones have received poor reviews on Engadget Mobile. The Rumor is not an option because her sister has one and she doesn't want the same phone. Considered the LG Lotus but her brother had one and it died after a couple of days so that is out too. And of course, no Pre because that is going to be my phone to replace my 755 the day it is released.

So what do you think? Is the Centro a good phone for a teenage girl that texts ALL the time? I have the insurance and she has gone through 2 phones in 2 years because the keypad can't hold up (LG Muzic) so I really need something durable and one that won't be obsolete in a month.

Karl
    I think the Centro is the best, most stable of all the Palm phones I've had (see my signature below). My strongest advise is to make sure she has a large microSD card from day one as you know she's going to be taking photos with it and the internal memory can fill up fast with pictures. When the memory gets close to being used up, Palm phones seem to reset themselves trying to find memory (kind of like cleaning out cookies on a computer). Adding the card will automatically save them to the card instead of the internal memory and you shouldn't have that problem. Texts are threaded and easily read.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    Dead? Many of us are trying to figure out how to get MORE!
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    Interesting. I have gone from the 650 to the 700 to the 755 and when it works it's the best phone ever. But when it doesn't it seems to crash magnificently. But if the Centro is that much more stable I may have to reconsider it.
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zorro1 View Post
    Dead? Many of us are trying to figure out how to get MORE!
    haha. I guess I shouldn't be surprised. I'm one of the ones that even though I have no vested interest (i.e. financial) in Palm, I really want to see them succeed and hope the Pre blows everything else out of the water.

I just wasn't sure how much support there would be for the phone but then again when I think about it, I would imagine that my daughter and I probably have much different outlooks on our phones. If she can text and access Facebook/MySpace and take pictures she is happy.
    IMO it's the best that Sprint has to offer at a very low price. The Pre might be too "fragile" for someone her age (especially if she is rough-housing the keyboards). Make sure you buy a skin and maybe a screen protector as well with it (if you purchase it). She would love it. And if you search reviews on Youtube and show her some of the capabilities it can do with third-party apps, she'll be sold

The only other type of phone I think she would like is a Pearl or Curve.
    Nokia American Idol Phone< Motorola RAZR<Nokia Flip Phone<Sidekick Slide<Palm Centro<HTC Snap

Currently Enjoying: Palm Pixi
    I would agree that the Centro is the most stable Palm phone of all of them. It's also a great price and great data speeds on Sprint.
    I just bought one for my 14 yr old daughter (if that helps you decide).
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    So what does your 14 year old daughter think so far?
    I just bought a used Centro (9 months usage) for $80 for my daughter (found it on Craig's list). For her needs I think its the best value out there. A cheap, good smartphone that allows her to use with schoolwork (Due Yesterday and Active Student Organizer), she has several good alarm programs including several I've programmed to tell her to do her chores or take her medicine, an easy calendar program called TMP (oldie but goodie), and a few other assorted programs. Unfortunately, Verizon wants ridiculous prices for their data plans, so I wasn't able to give her any data using apps, like Mundu IM, for example, but I've pretty much fixed her up with a phone and accessories for about $150 total.
    All for One and One for All!
    Here is my take on the Centro. I just got one back in February and I find it to be a VERY stable phone. It has a great calendar, and I like it's size.
    BUT.....now a bunch of my friends are getting Blackberries and I have been playing around with them. I particularly like the application store.

I know that Centros have tons of free ware made for them that you can snag from the internet, but it seems like most of the apps are stuck in 2005.

I am having a bit of Blackberry envy I think, but I am still satisfied with my Centro.
    My only envy, well two: a larger screen, and a larger keyboard...The Storm has one but not the other...the Pre has both, but comes with Sprint, which is even worse. The iphone keyboard is a freakin' joke and I cannot believe that people don't care....and then there's WinMobHel phones. So there you go.
    @TreoMusketeers: sounds like you need to switch to Sprint *wink*
    Nokia American Idol Phone< Motorola RAZR<Nokia Flip Phone<Sidekick Slide<Palm Centro<HTC Snap

Currently Enjoying: Palm Pixi
    I'm on a Sprint SERO plan, but my daughter wanted to stay on her mother's Verizon plan (all her friends supposedly use Verizon).
    All for One and One for All!
    If it were for the multi-tasking offered by WM devices, the Centro is what I would still be using. Excellent device.
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    I recently jumped in the pool with my iPhone of 8 months, so I am back to my centro. This is what I like about it.

Size- It is much smaller and more compact than an iphone.

Sound quality- The speaker and general phone quality is much much better.

Calendar- You get a contacts and calendar software with the phone!! I was syncing my Yahoo contacts on the home computer and the calendar on my work laptop with Outlook.

Keyboard- I totally forgot how good the keyboard was.

TreoCentral- Best board out there.

Dislikes are simple and have been written many times:

No WIFI
    No GPS
    Better apps more excitement on the iPhone. The new apps on the Centro are about to dry up. There are a lot of great apps but I feel like I am driving last years car, that just got a totally got a new model.

My 2 cents. I am not a real technical person. I am enjoying using my centro. I just hope that when the newness wears off, I will be happy. I don't want to spend the cash for a new iPhone.
    "Actions speak louder than words!"

REX >Palm III > Palm IIIc > Palm V> Palm m505 >Kyo 7135> Treo 650> ARTIC Treo 680> and finally to the Centro!!!
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    Surprisingly enough, the Centro received a lot of bad reviews on Sprint's own site (lots of complaints about the phone locking up and/or randomly turning off).

But I still went ahead and got it for her anyway. Hopefully will be here tomorrow.
    centro? stop being silly. get her the PRE.
    may need to see what comes of the EOS/Pixie
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    Personally I think the whole Eos/Pixie thing is a hoax. Given how well they have been able to keep secrets about the Pre I find it hard to believe how much information has suddenly "leaked" about this. We know more devices are coming but I'm not holding my breath on this one. Besides, I've been with Sprint for over 10 years and I'm surely not changing now!