Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    I would like to buy a backup Centro, in light of Verizon's policy of no longer offering "no-data" contracts for future PDA phones (and my new-every-two date is 11 months away, at which time I suspect VZW will no longer be offering Centros).

Are there better sources of Verizon Centros than eBay? eBay prices don't seem too bad now, running ~ $190 buy-it-now for new.

I understand from searching that
    - it must be a Verizon Centro, not Sprint.
    - the ESN must not be blacklisted. Is this the only concern about ESNs? It seems best to buy ones that say "ESN never used" or that list the ESN right in the ad.

Are there any other things to watch out for?

Thanks.
    I don't think so, I have bought many eBay phones for Sprint and have not had any trouble. For Verizon keep in mind they have that $50 refurbished phone program (where you trade in your current phone for $50 and you get a refurb), in the past I have used that LONG after the phones are no longer sold. But I would feel way more comfortable with a backup phone, and I have been watching ebay for a spare Sprint Centro as well.
    Hear more talk about my Centro and other industry news, go to thecellphonejunkie.com for a great weekly cell & smartphone podcast.
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    Thanks, I didn't know about the Verizon $50 refurbished phone program, maybe that's a good alternative.

[EDIT: P.S. I listen to your podcast regularly, thanks.]
    Last edited by jj2me; 04/28/2009 at 06:29 PM.
    Hey thanks for listening!

Just a couple of months ago I used that Verizon refurb program to replace a Blackberry 8830 that was having an intermittent End key problem. $50 and two days later a completely new looking 8830 came. So then you have to return your existing phone. They don't ship any accessories or battery, it is JUST the bare phone.

Joey
    Hear more talk about my Centro and other industry news, go to thecellphonejunkie.com for a great weekly cell & smartphone podcast.
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    You inspired me to get my first Centro. Even when my wonderful Moto e815 was still working fine.

Now you're still helping. Just pulled the trigger on a new eBay one for $103.

Thanks much.