Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi, my centro's screen broke so I'm going to go get it replaced. Before I do that, I'd like to back up my contacts, text messages, etc. so I can stick them right onto the new centro I'll be getting. What is the easiest way to do this?
    The best ways is via NVbackup. Do a search, and you will find a prc. and full info on the app.

?? I keep reading you all talking about that, but it seems to cause trouble from time to time. What's wrong with just synching?
    Syncing is good too, but it doesn't backup everything. If all you need is Palm PIM info then just hot sync.
    I would back everything up on NVBackup and then sync it.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Resco Backup and NVBackup are the 2 recognized leaders in the device based backup application game for Palm OS devices. I quit routinely syncing my data after going with Resco Backup.
    What doesn't synching backup? Maybe I'm just not using some of what you all do. My Docs to Go all backup. Photos back up. All contacts and memos. What's not?
    Yeah, I too would like to know what syncing "misses". I got BackupMan long ago on my 600, used it on my 650, and now on my Centro. I too quit doing regular syncs. Recently, I my Centro started rebooting every 5 minutes or so. I tried everything including a full reset and restoring from backup. Every time, it would behave fine with the SIM out, or in a cleared state, but if I restored everything from backup and had the SIM in (I took to using my SIM in the 650 to have a working phone), it would start resetting.

The other day, after one last full reset, I just dropped it into the cradle and synced instead of reloading from backup. It works fine now.

The point here is, I have heard that some things are not preserved via syncing, but haven't found any such yet. Can anyone tell me where to look? I can always restore individual items from backup still (which might tell me what was causing the problem if I restore the right [wrong] thing) but I don't know what might not have been restored.
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think hotsync has a limit on the file size, so if any files are too large, they will not be restored. There may be other issues; I'm not sure.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zorro1 View Post
    What doesn't synching backup? Maybe I'm just not using some of what you all do. My Docs to Go all backup. Photos back up. All contacts and memos. What's not?
    This question was never fully answered as far as I can find. I have searched through this forum and haven't found the answer. I am replacing another broken Centro (last one, the OS went bad and this one the touchscreen no longer works) and the last time, I synced everything and when I resynced to the new phone, I had lost all custom apps, some games, I had to re-categorize and re-assign ring tones to all my contacts. In addition I had to manually reload my music and pictures that I wanted to keep on the phone. I really don't want to have to do that again.

So the question is; What don't NVBackup, Backup Buddy and/or Blue Nomad back up? What am I going to lose and have to reinstall? I want to back/sync everything to my desktop then do the hard reboot before I give up and get another Centro.

Thank you very much in advance for any help.
    Hotsyncing doesn't backup specific settings within apps; backup apps backup everything. The only advantage to Hotsyncing- as far as backups are concerned- is that you have the ability to edit your contacts, memos, etc. from your desktop, which is just easier on the eyes and hands.
    Quote Originally Posted by fstopstigmata View Post
    Hotsyncing doesn't backup specific settings within apps;
    Unfortunately I figured that out the first time after losing all of my add-ons!

Quote Originally Posted by fstopstigmata View Post
    backup apps backup everything.
    So if I have say a program that I added like "stopwatch" or "Kinoma" it will save that program and when I get the replacement phone, it will reload that app?

Do these programs backup to the PC or am I restricted to a card?
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwhitedog View Post
    So if I have say a program that I added like "stopwatch" or "Kinoma" it will save that program and when I get the replacement phone, it will reload that app?
    Yes, and it will even save any settings/saved preferences for those applications. Just be careful when changing phone models because certain apps may break on a different phone.

Do these programs backup to the PC or am I restricted to a card?
    Most are restricted to card, but NVBackup lets you upload to an FTP server.
    Quote Originally Posted by TJSunDevil View Post
    Yes, and it will even save any settings/saved preferences for those applications. Just be careful when changing phone models because certain apps may break on a different phone.

I'm just moving from a twitchy Centro to a rebuilt one.

Most are restricted to card, but NVBackup lets you upload to an FTP server.
    None of them use the USB hotsync cable?

Also, which one do you recommend?
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    Short answers to some of the above questions.

NVBackup, Backup Buddy, BlueNomad back up preferences to many third party software so if you have a crash, you can restart everything on your machine the way it was before it crashed.

HotSync backup works for the programs that came loaded on your Centro when you bought it. Not so much with passwords and preferences you add with third party purchased software.

NVBackup, Backup Buddy, BlueNomad don't do well backing up an old machine and then loading the data onto a new machine. Crashes and resets are a common occurrence. It is better to hotsync your old machine and then follow the new machines directions to upload your PIM data. Then you have to load from scratch all your third party programs, as though you had just bought them and are loading for the first time.

So much for the promise of short answers.
    Quote Originally Posted by DRKayak View Post
    So much for the promise of short answers.
    Especially since I think everything you said is pretty much already stated in this thread
    Ok, so I down load the zip file to my PC. Now what? I can't get it to install to the centro? am I supposed to download it straight to the phone? I could not find any installation instructions anywhere. Any clues?

Sorry
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    I've always viewed the two as parallel to the two types of PC backups:

NVBackup, Resco Backup = Image copy. Like Norton Ghost or Acronis True Image or DriveImage XML. Backup and restore entire RAM, apps and all, bit by bit.

PDA syncing = Data backup. Like Microsoft Sync Toy or Cobian Backup or a very complete Windows Explorer drag and drop of all data files. Backup and restore data.

Of course doing an image backup of one model PDA/phone will likely not work on a different model PDA. Just like on a PC.
    Ok, so I down load the zip file to my PC. Now what? I can't get it to install to the centro? am I supposed to download it straight to the phone? I could not find any installation instructions anywhere. Any clues?

Sorry
    Did you open the .zip on your computer?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast