1.    #1  
    Ongoing issue...

I have my Treo 680 hooked to a usb hub for sync'ing. It works fine. Then it stops working. Sometimes I play with it, rebooting it, changing which jack on the hub it is plugged into. Sometimes that works. Sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes I also go to control panel and refresh USB devices. Sometimes that works, sometimes not. Sometimes it works several times in a row. Sometimes not.

I finally bought a new hub. Worked great. Then today, stopped working, just like before. On bootup that little plug appeared in the system tray indicating the computer trying to install something, but failing. Presumably, trying to install the Palm driver, which doesn't appear in the SYSTEM/DEVICE MANAGER list. Couldn't get it to work without removing it from the hub and putting it in the computer directly instead of the hub, which nonetheless works for other devices.

Now you might say that's an easy answer, but there are two problems. One, if something is blowing out a usb port, better it be on the hub than on the computer itself! Second, one reason I use the hub is because the Palm continues charging through USB even when the computer is off, where as if I plug into a direct computer usb port, it doesn't.

So, what do you think is going on here? Is it a problem with the device? The hub (my third in a year), the drivers? Something else? INherently defective Palm sync software?
    Last edited by Mark Squires; 04/13/2009 at 05:26 PM.
    If it doesn't have a slot for SDHC--I don't want it. Period.
    Palm generaly do not like usb hubs. They want to be in the back of the PC on the motherboard. Check that and see if your issue reocurrs. If not then its not the hub or the Palm device by themselves but just when they are together.
  3.    #3  
    I'd go a step farther---after using the Palm for awhile on a hub, it seems to blow out the port on the hub, too! Anyone else have that experience?
    If it doesn't have a slot for SDHC--I don't want it. Period.