1.    #1  
    I am unable to install a ROM update that I unzipped and rezipped from the ROM files that I extracted from "Centro_1_07_SPNT_DesktopUpdater" installation package from Sprint.

These are the steps that I took.

(First, I tried things verbatim)

1. Unzipped the Centro_1_07_SPNT_DesktopUpdater.exe archive.

2. Copied the following files to an SD micro card

(system)
    gandalf-htc-tpl.zip.md5.pdb
    gandalf-htc-tpl.zip.pdb
    gandalf-ipl-dvt.md5.pdb
    gandalf-ipl-dvt.pdb
    gandalf-ipl-ev1a.md5.pdb
    gandalf-ipl-ev1a.pdb
    gandalf-ipl-ev1a_el.md5.pdb
    gandalf-ipl-ev1a_el.pdb
    gandalf-ipl-evt1.md5.pdb
    gandalf-ipl-evt1.pdb
    gandalf-ipl-evt1_el.md5.pdb
    gandalf-ipl-evt1_el.pdb
    gandalf-ipl-evt2.md5.pdb
    gandalf-ipl-evt2.pdb
    gandalf-ipl-p.md5.pdb
    gandalf-ipl-p.pdb
    gandalf-palmos-tpl.zip.md5.pdb
    gandalf-palmos-tpl.zip.pdb
    gandalf-spl.md5.pdb
    gandalf-spl.pdb

(application)
    gandalf-palmos.zip.a.pdb
    gandalf-palmos.zip.b.pdb
    gandalf-palmos.zip.c.pdb
    gandalf-palmos.zip.d.pdb
    gandalf-palmos.zip.e.pdb
    gandalf-palmos.zip.f.pdb
    gandalf-palmos.zip.g.pdb
    gandalf-palmos.zip.h.pdb
    gandalf-palmos.zip.i.pdb
    gandalf-palmos.zip.md5.pdb

(launcher)
    RomUpdater.bprc
    RomUpdater_enUS.oprc

3. Inserted the card into my phone and installed the RomUpdater files using Resco Explorer 2009.

4. Copied the system and application files to RAM.

5. Launched the RomUpdater (typed "gand" at the so-called prompt) and successfully updated the ROM.

(Then, I tried to re-zip the files)

6. Merged the application archive pieces into a single gandalf-palmos.zip file using O'Razoff's PDB2ZIP rexx script. Validated the MD5 checksum, "c5796e49382c400b5c6d0303f7d78001," (using DiamondCS MD5 checksum program) against the MD5 checksum embedded in "gandalf-palmos.zip.md5.pdb". They were the same.

7. Back on the PC, unzipped gandalf-palmos.zip to a new directory.

8. Re-zipped the unzipped files from this new directory into a new archive with same name as the original, "gandalf-palmos.zip," using Winrar. (I.e. I did not change any files in the archive.)

9. Split the new archive into 2MB parts using O'Razoff's ZIP2PDB rexx script.

10. Calculated the MD5 checksum using the same program as above.

11. Overwrote the checksum embedded in the "gandalf-palmos.zip.md5.pdb" file mentioned above using Orebro's VbHexEd.

12. Copied the new application files onto SD Micro card.

13. Repeated steps 3, 4, and 5. On step 5 got MD5 checksum error. I was unable to proceed further.

My reasoning was that if I could get an unaltered, but re-zipped, ROM to install, then I could try adding/removing applications.

I noticed that the original gandalf-palmos.zip file was 17275 KB, whereas the Winrar archive was 17250 KB (fast compression) and 17283 KB (normal compression). So, I experimented with a few zip programs to see if I could get the zip file size right (7zip and Info-Zip). No luck, the 17283KB file produced by Winrar was the closest.

My questions are:

1. Is it even possible to do what I am trying to do? (My instinct tells me that it is.)

2. What am I doing wrong?

Any insight would be appreciated.
    >10. Calculated the MD5 checksum using the same program as above.
    Try other program like www etree org md5sum.exe

Check if gandalf-palmos.zip.md5.pdb is patched properly

>9. Split the new archive into 2MB parts using O'Razoff's ZIP2PDB rexx script.
    Check if all the gandalf-palmos.zip.?.pdb are created (a-i). Try to extract gandalf-palmos.zip

And any way make hard reset before any update.
  3.    #3  
    >10. Calculated the MD5 checksum using the same program as above.
    Try other program like www etree org md5sum.exe

jacksonm111>> Thank you for your reply! Are you related to O'Razoff?

I tried md5sum.exe and got the same md5 checksum. In any case, I believe that the first checksum program worked as the checksum it produced matched the checksum embedded in the gandalf-palmos.zip.md5.pdb file.

Check if gandalf-palmos.zip.md5.pdb is patched properly

jacksonm111>> How can I tell? In a hex editor, it looks like no bytes were added or removed and only the md5 checksum was overwritten.

>9. Split the new archive into 2MB parts using O'Razoff's ZIP2PDB rexx script.
    Check if all the gandalf-palmos.zip.?.pdb are created (a-i). Try to extract gandalf-palmos.zip

jacksonm111>> Did it. I can successfully split the zip into pdb files and join them and split them again and then successfully install them using the rom updater program.

And any way make hard reset before any update.

jacksonm111>> Yes, did it.

Does the rom updater program have the md5 checksum hard-coded in it?

Is it important that the zip file that I tried to create using a zip program is not the same size as the original, thus producing a different md5 checksum?

Does the rom updater program use a different zip algorithm than the standard ones?

Do you know where I can find the source code for the rom updater program or one that is similar?
    >Are you related to O'Razoff?
    Yes, i am.

>Does the rom updater program have the md5 checksum hard-coded in it?
    I doubt it. May be this message appears because the rom updater does'nt found suitable gandalf-palmos.zip.md5.pdb file. Or found previous version. Or can't find any other file.
    Try remove any SD cards after installing files into memory. BUT! Original CDMA updates are running from card.

>Is it important that the zip file that I tried to create using a zip program is not the same size as the original, thus producing a different md5 checksum?
    I doubt it too. There are some versions of official ROM update (Verizon, Sprint etc.), which have the same updater.

>Does the rom updater program use a different zip algorithm than the standard ones?
    No, i think.

>Do you know where I can find the source code for the rom updater program or one that is similar?
    You can disassemble it with IDA. But i don't think you need it.