Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    my car has a hands free link system which is basically a bluetooth hookup between the radio in my car and my centro. the centro seems to recognize the car as a bluetooth headset.

i also have an axillary input in the radio which i use to listen to songs on my centro by plugging the headphone jack into the car radio.

both of these things work very well when im using one or the other. however, when i have the phone plugged into the radio using the aux in jack to listen to pocket tunes and someone calls me, the bluetooth connection with the car doesnt register a phone call. pocket tunes stops playing, but the car doesnt give me the 'incoming phone call' sound, or the ability to answer the phone. its seems like plugging something into the headset jack cancels the bluetooth connection between the phone and the car. am i just missing something simple?

is there some way to have a line out plugged into the headset jack on the centro and still have the bluetooth headset work for phone calls? is there a setting somewhere i need to change? or some third party software that would let the phone do what i want?

any info on the subject would be greatly appreciated.
    I think there is a way to do stereo out over bluetooth. Not sure if it works on the Centro. You might want to look into it and drop the cable.
    Interesting, I haven't tried this myself, but I would be willing to bet that since you have something plugged into the "headset" jack of the Centro that overrides the bluetooth headset functionality of the Centro.

Can anyone else confirm this?

Also, unless your vehicle supports A2DP stereo streaming, you will not be able to stream audio to the vehicle. And if the vehicle does support stereo bluetooth, you will need to purchase Softick Audio Gateway in order to enable stereo streaming on the Centro.
    Hear more talk about my Centro and other industry news, go to thecellphonejunkie.com for a great weekly cell & smartphone podcast.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    i was also thinking that the plug in the headphone jack was overriding the blue tooth, i chatted with palm tech support online, and they said it shouldnt do that and the blue tooth / headphone jack combo should be able to do what i want it to. they werent able to offer any ideas as to why it wasnt working or what i could try to get it to work....but they said it should work.

sending the music over blue tooth isnt an option for me the only blue tooth functionality the car has is for the phone.

im not against buying some software for the centro like a different mp3 player or some kind of phone management program if anyone knows of something that will help.

thanks
    I think you just have to deal with the glitch. We all know the Palm BT stack is a bit shady. If they aren't offering up any troubleshooting help, then they are just as clueless as we are.

I'd try for fun to take the BT call then plug in the audio cable mid call and see if you get a different result.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    i spent some more time with palm customer support, and some more time screwing around with it on my own... it really seems theres no way to use a wired headset and a bluetooth headset at the same time.

which means unfortunately when im in the car ill have to choose between using my centro as a hands free phone or an mp3 player.

blech am i really going to have to buy an ipod after all these years of hating on them?
    Just hold out till december when your contract is up and get the Pre.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    i think the lack of a removable media slot will be a deal killer for me on the pre. if i wanted a device that puts looks over functionality and tries to screw me into buying a new phone every 2 years so i can get some more storage space, id buy an iphone. next thing you know palm is going to take out the speaker too.

is there even any indication at all that the pre will be able to support a wired headset and a bluetooth headset simultaneously?

heres hoping my centro lasts until the pre 2 comes out.
    Well I would hope that building an OS from the ground up to take advantage of modern day tech would allow for the dual output without issue.

And if you go over to the Pre forum, you'll see a lot of people (including myself) voicing their opinion on 1)the lack of a card slot and 2) only 8gb with a lack of a card slot. Almost every thread that focuses on features to some degree turns into a memory/card slot debate/b*tch fest.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    ive seen them....and i agree with a lot of what people are saying.

ive been using one palm device or another for almost 10 years, one of the most useful features of their devices are the removable media slots. i think its pretty safe to say i will never again purchase any kind of media storage device without removable media storage. it just doesnt make sense. everyone remembers not so long ago when 4 gigs was a HUGE about of space, more then a lot of desktop computers had. and now 8 gigs is nothing.... 16 is barely adequate...and you can get pocket sized devices that come with 120. for palm to design a device with only 8 gigs and no way to expand it is absurd. its out of date before its even been released.

if i wanted an iphone, id buy an iphone. its stupid for palm to try and build their own iphone. its been my experience that different kinds of people are attracted to palm devices and apple devices. i cant see why palm would choose to remove one of the few things that you can honestly say make it better then the competition. to make such a fundamental negative change to a device that has had a loyal following for decades is a mistake. people who love their i pods phones touches whatever are not going to jump ship just because the new palm looks like it was designed this century. and people who like their palms are going to be upset with this change. i mean are there any noteworthy differences left between the pre and the iphone or any other smart phone for that matter?
    How about the seidio hotsync connector that is a headset out?

I to am concerned about this on my Treo. I have yet to install the parts in my car but if i cant use the bluetooth handsfree equipped in my car plus send audio through either the headset port or athena connector to the aux in for radio im going to be out of luck.