1.    #1  
    I would like to know if there is a program available that would allow me to get directions directly from my Visor, It takes sooo long to boot up my laptop and use MS Streets while in the field. Thanks,
    Sterling Peoples
    If you have a wireless modem, you can use WirelessMapQuest. It's a PQA, but it is possible to run PQAs on even a VDX with a VisorPhone.
    Jeff
  3.    #3  
    i wish i did have wireless, too expensive and not enough coverage for me, guess i'll just have to whip out the old laptop...
    Originally posted by dampeoples
    i wish i did have wireless, too expensive and not enough coverage for me, guess i'll just have to whip out the old laptop...
    What about a standard modem? Do you have that? would that work for you? PQA's can be used with a standard modem also (using SureWave browser by JP Mobile. Avantgo has a wireless channel that does maps also (it too can be used with a modem springboard)
  5.    #5  
    Same deal, i try to plan all my trips on the pc before i leave, but they always seem to find a way to change them, i rarely have a telephone connection in the field...
    Same deal, i try to plan all my trips on the pc before i leave, but they always seem to find a way to change them, i rarely have a telephone connection in the field...
    Well then it looks like you are out of luck.

BTW... The only way to take maps with you is fireviewer. What I do (when I know where I'm going) I go to yahoo.maps.com and find the address I'm going to. Then I save the map as a bitmap file. I then load it into fireviewer. Now I have maps of the area I'm going to.

Also, mapquest maps has the ability to save their maps as a prc file so that you can download the prc and then install it to your visor.
  7.    #7  
    the mapquest one is nice, one page per leg of the trip. Too bad i
    'm not a programmer, in my field this could be extremely useful (and cheaper than a $1000 direction giving GPS system)!!
  8.    #8  
    I found one, I havn't tried it yet, but there is a program called RouteUSA from tomtom.com that does it, I think I may check it out...
    the mapquest one is nice, one page per leg of the trip. Too bad i
    'm not a programmer, in my field this could be extremely useful (and cheaper than a $1000 direction giving GPS system)!!
    Does it include the directions too? Or just the map(s).
    It includes directions too, but only city to city directions. I can vouch for the European version of the software, as I used it extensively for the past 3 weeks. If you get off track with your GPS enabled device, you can set your starting point from your actual current location and recalc the route. It was truly unbelievable, and got me all around Italy, Germany, and Austria.

The US version, Route USA, runs on the same system, and you can show directions in a few different text views or on the colorized maps.
    Originally posted by LarryN
    It includes directions too, but only city to city directions. I can vouch for the European version of the software, as I used it extensively for the past 3 weeks. If you get off track with your GPS enabled device, you can set your starting point from your actual current location and recalc the route. It was truly unbelievable, and got me all around Italy, Germany, and Austria.

The US version, Route USA, runs on the same system, and you can show directions in a few different text views or on the colorized maps.
    The European Version of [B]Mapquest[/B}? I didn't mean the "Tomtom" stuff.
  12.    #12  
    Yes, Doni, it does give turn by turn directions (in text). Go to mapquest and get some directions and directly above it (in teal on my machine) is a button that says download to PDA, just click on this and hotsynch and you'll see.
    DAX
    Street Atlas USA is a good program you can hotsync with your Visor to get maps.
    Global Posts
    191 Global Posts
    Originally posted by Techie2000
    Street Atlas USA is a good program you can hotsync with your Visor to get maps.
    Actually, I'd personally rather have a program which gives you turn by turn directions to your destination, rather then have to try to read a tiny map on a 160 x 160 screen.

Vindigo already does this, but only directions to movie theaters, restaurants, or stores you select.

You tell Vindigo (a free program, and excellent, by the way!) the intersection you are near. Now, select a theater/restaurant/store,then tap "Go", and you'll see ...

Just a moment please...

Than:

Walking from Hollywood Blvd. & La Brea Ave., go South on La Brea Ave. (The first street you should pass is Marshfield Way). Go 1.25 miles.
    Turn left onto Melrose Ave. and go 350 yards to California Chicken Cafe at 6805 Melrose Ave.

It seems to be generating directions on the fly, because unlike EVERY other page on Vindigo, which appear instantly, when you tap "Go", you are asked to wait a few seconds, after which the directions appear.

For me, if this could be implemented citywide, where I could enter two addresses (From: and To and get directions as complete as Vidigo provides, it would be more helpful then simply a map program.
    No one has mentioned Mapopolis.