Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    It looks like the folks over at Teal already gave us a new toy to play with.
    It's in the experimental beta phase so I guess we can't expect too much yet.

TEALWHEEL!!!

www {dot} tealpoint {dot} com/download/beta/tealwhl.prc

Obviously, replace the {dot}
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    What is it? I don't want to install unless it may be of use. Is it a game? Mini launcher? Hmm?
    It's a favorites launcher.
    It's kind of a "last used apps" type of launcher. At least at this point...
    I couldn't get out of it. I almost had to take the battery cover off... I think I'll wait 'til it evolves more. And that probably won't be long, knowing the excellent customer service we had w/TealOS.

m505->650->755p with bluetooth, VoiceDialIt, Garmin GPS, PdaReach, skinUI, FontSmoother, TAKEphONE, 4cast, 2day, 2dial, TouchLauncher, TealWheel, Chatter, OperaMini, PowerHero, Butler, NVBackup, Destaller, Apt, Warden, CardReader, pTunes, CorePlayer, Kinoma, MunduRadio, Ringo, DateBk6, HandyShpr, PktQuicken, PearPrivacy, MegaCalc&Clock, KeyCaps755, AlwaysOn, LEDOff, PhoneDisconnect, WebLinks, McPhling, PalmPDF, eReader, some phwelo stuff & nearly 30 games, due to LinkStart, w/an 8GB card.
    Quote Originally Posted by rossarnie View Post
    It's a favorites launcher.
    Looks like it operates like a DA.

m505->650->755p with bluetooth, VoiceDialIt, Garmin GPS, PdaReach, skinUI, FontSmoother, TAKEphONE, 4cast, 2day, 2dial, TouchLauncher, TealWheel, Chatter, OperaMini, PowerHero, Butler, NVBackup, Destaller, Apt, Warden, CardReader, pTunes, CorePlayer, Kinoma, MunduRadio, Ringo, DateBk6, HandyShpr, PktQuicken, PearPrivacy, MegaCalc&Clock, KeyCaps755, AlwaysOn, LEDOff, PhoneDisconnect, WebLinks, McPhling, PalmPDF, eReader, some phwelo stuff & nearly 30 games, due to LinkStart, w/an 8GB card.
    It's just an evolution of the TealOS Wave Launcher Card Mode. They had to change it a bit so it didn't resemble WebOS anymore. But it was the best (and only totally original) feature of TealOS & they wanted to keep it available.
    0.12b is posted & one of my hopes is already in action: it works perfectly with TreoSkey! Set it to launch with the Aux button (the side button) & then press & hold the volume button to spin (yes, it spins now!) until it lands on your app of choice. Very impressive combination IMO. Can't wait to see it polished in a month or so. Still getting resets every once in awhile, but it's expected in such a young project.
    Last edited by fstopstigmata; 04/02/2009 at 10:55 AM.
    It looks like it will be a handy launcher - especially when we can add a few favorites to the wheel, as well as the recently-used apps.
    For me the biggest drawback is the use of the original icons, which look terrible, especially on top of the black circle...
    Yeh, I'm not too big on custom icons, but I have to admit I loved how TealOS allowed the stripping of the blue thing, god that thing's ugly. I'm sure we'll see it in TealWheel soon enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by rossarnie View Post
    It looks like it will be a handy launcher - especially when we can add a few favorites to the wheel, as well as the recently-used apps.
    For me the biggest drawback is the use of the original icons, which look terrible, especially on top of the black circle...
    I would suspect the icons will be changed. (I gotz to agree with you about the original icons though. They are so bad that that's reason enough to not use an application.) I'm sure it's on the list of upgrades but best to put in a formal request.

Quote Originally Posted by fstopstigmata View Post
    Yeh, I'm not too big on custom icons, but I have to admit I loved how TealOS allowed the stripping of the blue thing, god that thing's ugly. I'm sure we'll see it in TealWheel soon enough.
    I can appreciate that perspective. One of the reasons why I like custom icons is bec. since the applications were created by different developers, they do not have an overall, united, uniform theme to them. (Sorry, my English isn't coming out too well today.) They're just too visually inconsistent (and at times distracting) for me.

And you should again ask for improving the icon resolution. Your icons for TealOS look so great in the select menu - but once they are displayed by TealOS all the shading and smooth colour mixes are gone. Too bad. Hopefully they make it better in TealWheel.
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofdatreo View Post
    I can appreciate that perspective. One of the reasons why I like custom icons is bec. since the applications were created by different developers, they do not have an overall, united, uniform theme to them. (Sorry, my English isn't coming out too well today.) They're just too visually inconsistent (and at times distracting) for me.
    Exactly!
    Wow, this is really changing! (2 Versions today -- can anyone say TealOS? ) I can't believe how much better it is since Alpha 0.11 & 0.12. Their own screen shot on the beta page is outdated.

Spinning the wheel is pretty fun! Of course, bec. it's me, I'd love to see the ability to customize the icons. (Hopefully, that will come w/time, as I'm sure the coding/debugging/general development of the app is more important right now.)

The small screen shot in the middle is great!

And hold the button down, and, wow! It really spins fast!

I think I would also like to see the elimination of the white border on the circle/curl. That curl is such a great improvement (over the tacky spokes). I'm guessing the white outline helps define the curl but it makes the curl look a little jagged. EDIT: After playing with it a bit, I guess the white outline helps smooth things out when you use the original Palm OS launcher. I just don't use that "old" thing much.

And maybe the ability to change what the background color is of the empty tiles. (Again, probably coming in due time.)

All in all, thoroughly impressed. Great beginnings!

Looks like I'm probably going to be "giving" you guys some more $.
    Last edited by fanofdatreo; 04/05/2009 at 08:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by georgeTX View Post
    And you should again ask for improving the icon resolution. Your icons for TealOS look so great in the select menu - but once they are displayed by TealOS all the shading and smooth colour mixes are gone. Too bad. Hopefully they make it better in TealWheel.
    Thanks, George. We'll see what happens.

Hot diggity-dog:
    Alpha 0.15 - April 5, 2009

Added support for passing thru application button presses make when wheel open

Added new default icon for standard launcher

Improved controls to not pass thru initiation press if closed with 5-way

Restored old "spoke" look for comparison with previous curl

Fixed crash bringing up from within Blazer
    Quote Originally Posted by fstopstigmata View Post
    Hot diggity-dog:
    Thanks for the notification! I liked the curl, but I think I like the new spokes better. Tex fixed one of the bugs I reported:

Improved controls to not pass thru initiation press if closed with 5-way

(I noticed that if you were using TealWheel on top of TealOS.)

Thanks again for the notice.
    I like how it closes now. Much cleaner.

Come on guys - this still looks like xxxx!
    And you can't set it to the side-button any more, at least, not as far as I can see (and if you can, their directions are too obscure).
    If you want a launcher that opens favorite and recent apps and DA's, without the debatable 'eye-candy', and at about 10% of the memory footprint, try McPhling!
    Last edited by rossarnie; 04/05/2009 at 11:09 AM.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast