Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rossarnie View Post
    Come on guys - this still looks like xxxx!
    And you can't set it to the side-button any more, at least, not as far as I can see (and if you can, their directions are too obscure).
    If you want a launcher that opens favorite and recent apps and DA's, without the debatable 'eye-candy', and at about 10% of the memory footprint, try McPhling!
    I personally think it looks great the way it is. Simple enough to separate it from the background & no added 'eye candy' to slow it down. Tex said he tried adding a transparency & he said it made it run too slowly.

The side button still works fine on my device. Look for the Aux option in the menu, it's always been labeled that way.

& McPhling slows your device waaaaay way down. If it weren't for that, I'd still use it. But when active, it takes around a full second extra to go from one app to the next (& I'm not even talking about launching them with McPhling).
    Quote Originally Posted by rossarnie View Post
    Come on guys - this still looks like xxxx!
    And you can't set it to the side-button any more, at least, not as far as I can see (and if you can, their directions are too obscure).
    If you want a launcher that opens favorite and recent apps and DA's, without the debatable 'eye-candy', and at about 10% of the memory footprint, try McPhling!
    I can appreciate your footprint comment but other than the icons not being customized (which I fully expect it to happen in the future), what don't you visually like? Like fstopstigmata I tend to like the way it looks.

I almost expected the transparency to slow it down.

Fstopstigmata: Do you know if Tex tried a really "simple" transparency like in Nexave, rather than the grayed out one like you find in TealOS?

m505->650->755p with bluetooth, VoiceDialIt, Garmin GPS, PdaReach, skinUI, FontSmoother, TAKEphONE, 4cast, 2day, 2dial, TouchLauncher, TealWheel, Chatter, OperaMini, PowerHero, Butler, NVBackup, Destaller, Apt, Warden, CardReader, pTunes, CorePlayer, Kinoma, MunduRadio, Ringo, DateBk6, HandyShpr, PktQuicken, PearPrivacy, MegaCalc&Clock, KeyCaps755, AlwaysOn, LEDOff, PhoneDisconnect, WebLinks, McPhling, PalmPDF, eReader, some phwelo stuff & nearly 30 games, due to LinkStart, w/an 8GB card.
    Here's straight from the horse's mouth:

..for transparency, the problem is speed. Dimming
    the whole background adds about a 1-second delay to the opening, similar to the
    delay TealOS experiences opening the launcher screen. Doing something every
    frame similar to the "wave" effect in TealOS (but a circular "ribbon" ) was alwo
    way too slow in testing due to the increased surface area. So your choice in
    background effect has to be something in a solid color unless we can drastically
    increase the speed of the ribbon using an ARM code resource.
    Quote Originally Posted by fstopstigmata View Post
    Here's straight from the horse's mouth:
    Got any of those ARM code resources lyin' around.

(I understand everything until the end, I'm not sure what exactly an ARM code resource is, but I guess that is not that important, since I'm not a developer/programmer. Could that be a snippet of code from say, Lightspeed or Warp Speed, that would circumvent the delay that is experienced?)

Seriously, so if the "background effect has to be something in a solid color," and this is in alpha, I wouldn't mind trying that out and giving feedback. As an option, black might look good.

Actually, I like the idea of still being able to see what I was looking at underneath TealWheel (yet dimmer), but if that can't be accomplished w/o sacrificing speed, then maybe the color of the spokes and "rounded rectangles" at the end of the spokes could be changed to black, or whatever color a user wanted. All that white space is so prominent/noticeable on top of anything in color.
    Although, you could potentially enable an option to NOT render the preview rectangle...

which could allow things to speed up enough so that you could produce (bring back?) a transparent background (like a keyguard) underneath the TealWheel. I mean if you've got icons, and this is really functioning like a graphic DA anyway, what would be the harm?

I realize that takes away from the "eye candy" but it might work.

(Actually, I'd love to see both ways, preview rectangle and w/o that has a transparent underlay, so maybe it's possible.)

m505->650->755p with bluetooth, VoiceDialIt, Garmin GPS, PdaReach, skinUI, FontSmoother, TAKEphONE, 4cast, 2day, 2dial, TouchLauncher, TealWheel, Chatter, OperaMini, PowerHero, Butler, NVBackup, Destaller, Apt, Warden, CardReader, pTunes, CorePlayer, Kinoma, MunduRadio, Ringo, DateBk6, HandyShpr, PktQuicken, PearPrivacy, MegaCalc&Clock, KeyCaps755, AlwaysOn, LEDOff, PhoneDisconnect, WebLinks, McPhling, PalmPDF, eReader, some phwelo stuff & nearly 30 games, due to LinkStart, w/an 8GB card.
    They've got my money with the latest release!!!!:

[Pt. 1]
    We just posted the new version with the following updates:

BACKGROUNDS
    We've heard a lot of differing opinions on this. We cannot do a transparency
    effect over a large area without slowing down the popup too much, so the
    background needs to be either solid (like the swirl) or a much smaller area. We
    found that even a round "ribbon" kind of like the wave in TealOS was too slow
    when lengthened to cover all 12 icons. Instead, this beta adds a small drop
    shadow to each button, which seems to help a lot without affecting performance.

CONTROLS
    Some of you expressed fondness for the ability to turn the wheel by moving the
    5-way in the "out" direction only instead of moving tangentially after reaching
    the rim. The last version moved the wheel backwards when moving left or up and
    forwards when moving right or down, but the new version changes this.

We thought about what movements would be intuitive and have moved the most
    recent icon to the left side of the wheel with older icons in the history list
    continuing clockwise. An "outward" movement at any pole rotates the wheel
    counter-clockwise. That way, "LEFT" selects the last app, LEFT-LEFT selects the
    app before that, etc. An "UP" would jump back 4 apps, but still continue to
    move in the same direction.

In the near future, we'll be adding the ability to select specific apps or
    actions (lock, power-off, adjust brightness, radio on/off, change wheels, etc)
    for individual buttons. To aid in this, all "outward" movements rotate the
    wheel in the same direction (counter-clockwise) so that the movement is
    consistent and all quadrants can be reached. That way, you could, say, set up
    your predefined icons in bottom half of the wheel starting in the rightmost
    slot, so that a "RIGHT" selects the first slot, a "RIGHT-RIGHT" selects the next
    action, etc. You'll be seeing this fairly soon.
    [Pt 2.]

Done for 0.16

[x] Added drop shadow around edges of buttons
    [x] Added support for closing wheel with aux button press
    [x] Added support for re-launching card-based apps
    [x] Added support for selecting app by tapping on preview
    [x] Added support for closing wheel with on-screen soft buttons
    [x] Improved auto-rotation to consistently turn wheel CCW when moving 5-way away
    from center
    [x] Fixed backlight not turning on if activated and powered-up at same time
    [x] Fixed narrow icons bitmaps to draw centered horizontally in button
    [x] Fixed pen taps to select correct position when operating in a full screen
    mode
    [x] Fixed to keep device awake on pen movements
    It keeps getting better w/each release! (I like how you can close the wheel by pressing the aux button again.) Centering the icons does wonders.

They've got my money with the latest release!!!!:

[Pt. 1]
    Add the ability to customize the icons, and the ability to change the color of the icon background (from white to whatever), and I'm in! (And of course all that other stuff that was going to be added. )
    Last edited by fanofdatreo; 04/07/2009 at 08:12 AM.
    In the near future, we'll be adding the ability to select specific apps or
    actions (lock, power-off, adjust brightness, radio on/off, change wheels, etc)
    for individual buttons.
    Say, if you're gonna go that far (this is evolving from a graphic DA to virtually an operating system), why not add a (preferably very small) transparent keyguard?

I see no real use for it, but thats just me.

Quote Originally Posted by He123321 View Post
    I see no real use for it, but thats just me.
    Some apps disable the built-in recent-apps function, such as I8, which I can't live without. So I have a huge need for an app like this. I used to use the TealOS wave launcher, but didn't see paying $15 for just that. Hopefully Teal sticks to their word & releases TealWheel for $10.
    Last edited by fstopstigmata; 04/07/2009 at 08:09 PM.
    ---------------------------------
    - ALPHA 0.17 -

[x] Fixed ability to power off while in wheel

[x] Fixed compatibility with Treo/Centro standard keyguard

[x] Fixed crash launching in Blazer and other arm-based apps

[x] Fixed to not relaunch app if already in it

[x] Fixed wheel spokes to draw in consistent color

[x] Fixed wheel to auto-rotate if active icon moved with pen to non-pole
    position

[x] Improved icon positioning to be more evenly spaced around wheel

Wed Apr 8, 2009 8:43 am
    ---------------------------------
    Looks like the general program has been developed. Now comes the improvement by bug fixes & upgrades/additions of features. Time to make your request(s).

I feel like a junkie waiting for my next fix.

Hi.

We haven't posted in a few days, and with good reason... we've been hard at
    work. When you run the new version, you'll immediately a marked difference in
    the app, as the main screen now shows you a preview of your wheel, or "wheels"
    actually, as you now have up to 5 that you can switch between. Instead of just
    being being used for an "app history" function, as was the case in previous
    alphas, each has individual icons can now be remapped to specific functions or
    applications

The functions (copy/paste/radio/find/goto-wheel, etc) work, but the application
    mapping is still raw in that the list is displayed by filename rather than icon
    name, and a generic icon is always used instead of one specific to the app.
    Code to pull the icons is still being written, but the reset of the code is
    functional enough that we wanted to push out a version to the beta page to begin
    some testing and feedback.

-tex

- BETA 0.20 -

[x] Added 5 independent selectable wheels
    [x] Added user-mappable lock function
    [x] Added user-mappable power off function
    [x] Added user-mappable launcher function
    [x] Added user-mappable brightness function
    [x] Added user-mappable global find function
    [x] Added user-mappable cut function
    [x] Added user-mappable copy function
    [x] Added user-mappable paste function
    [x] Added user-mappable undo function
    [x] Added user-mappable wheel goto functions
    [x] Added user-mappable application launch function (does not yet use program
    icon or icon name)
    [x] Added about menu

Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:12 am
    Hi.

We haven't posted in a few days, and with good reason... we've been hard at
    work. When you run the new version, you'll immediately a marked difference in
    the app, as the main screen now shows you a preview of your wheel, or "wheels"
    actually, as you now have up to 5 that you can switch between. Instead of just
    being being used for an "app history" function, as was the case in previous
    alphas, each has individual icons can now be remapped to specific functions or
    applications

The functions (copy/paste/radio/find/goto-wheel, etc) work, but the application
    mapping is still raw in that the list is displayed by filename rather than icon
    name, and a generic icon is always used instead of one specific to the app.
    Code to pull the icons is still being written, but the reset of the code is
    functional enough that we wanted to push out a version to the beta page to begin
    some testing and feedback.

-tex

- BETA 0.20 -

[x] Added 5 independent selectable wheels
    [x] Added user-mappable lock function
    [x] Added user-mappable power off function
    [x] Added user-mappable brightness function
    [x] Added user-mappable global find function
    [x] Added user-mappable cut function
    [x] Added user-mappable copy function
    [x] Added user-mappable paste function
    [x] Added user-mappable undo function
    [x] Added user-mappable wheel goto functions
    [x] Added user-mappable application launch function (does not yet use program
    icon or icon name)
    [x] Added about menu

Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:12 am
    It looks like it is developing nicely. Would still like to see the ability to turn off the rectange preview, at times. I realize that's a bit contradictory to what the program is supposed to do, but I love spinning the wheel and the preview is just a little over the top at times. (Of course I'm waiting to use my customized icons. )

FWIW: This version crashed the first time I depressed the auxiliary/side button. (I guess that can be expected w/an alpha or beta product.) It's worked since then w/o crashing though.
    Last edited by fanofdatreo; 04/16/2009 at 07:01 AM.
    Yea, I bet your icons would look awesome in this app!
    # Beta 0.22 - April 14, 2009 Added display of application icon for statically mapped buttons
    # Improved button appearance to use consistent border around buttons

Ha! I beat you, fstop.

EDIT: My rounded rectangles (at the end of the spokes) now have white artifacts, where the corners have been rounded off. It looks like it is only 3 of the 4 corners, but on every rounded rectangle (upper right, lower left & lower right). You'll see this if you do it over a screen that it is not white.
    Last edited by fanofdatreo; 04/15/2009 at 07:54 AM.

Well done, my friend!

Are u saying it displays custom icons now?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast