1.    #1  
    I'm having the most frustrating time trying to install the Palm Desktop CD onto my new Windows Vista laptops for my Sprint Treo 755p. The Palm Desktop portion of the CD installs properly and hotsynchs okay.

However, the Install Tool application fails to download properly. Everytime I try to open the Install Tool app, I get nothing but error messages. I have this same problem on 2 entirely different laptops, each running Windows Vista. I never had this problem on Windows XP.

Anyone have any solutions? Thanks, Casey.
    Casey
    Sprint 755p, 700p, 650 - I am not a geek! Really!
    The version of Vista matters. If it is the 64 bit version, you will not be able to use the install tool. At all.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Alli View Post
    The version of Vista matters. If it is the 64 bit version, you will not be able to use the install tool. At all.
    Hi Alli,

I don't think it's the 64 bit version, but I'm not sure because I don't have the laptops with me right now. The laptops have the Vista Home Edition installed, which may be the lower bit version possibly.

I tried re-installing the Palm Desktop CD many times, thinking maybe I did something wrong. The Install Tool app simply doesn't work.

So is there no solution to this problem at all?
    Casey
  4.    #4  
    I was able to find this potential fix:

Palm.com : Support: Message)

Also

Palm.com : Support: Message)

I will try installing this, and hopefully things will work right again.
    Casey
  5.    #5  
    Here's an update:

Yesterday, I installed the new Palm Desktop update, which was supposed to work for my new Windows Vista laptop. After installing, I tried doing a hotsynch, and 1/2 hour later, it just hung at the "Calendar" portion of the hotsynch. I tried to cancel the hotsynch process, because I believed the process froze. After restarting my laptop computer, and doing a soft reset on my Treo 755p, my phone kept giving me error messages regarding Datebook 6 being corrupted. The phone kept going into an endless soft reset loop for an hour!! Nothing worked. I ended up doing a hard reset on my Treo phone, and restoring my saved information from a different older laptop (running Windows XP) that hotsynchs correctly. Finally, I was able to restore my Treo back to its original state before it got messed up from the updated Palm Desktop application. What a freakin pain in the @ss!! I'm going to delete that horrible Palm Desktop update from the first laptop, and re-do everything again using the original Palm Desktop CD that came with my Sprint Treo 755p. At this point, I give up trying to get the Palm Install Tool program to work! I'm only going to hotsynch to my older computers running Windows XP !! What a headache! Now I'll never take a successfully completed hotsynch action for granted again! I can't believe how many hours I've spent trying to do a simple hotsynch and install app action using new Vista PC computers!! I give up!
    Casey
  6.    #6  
    Here's another update:

Finally my hotsynch works properly again, including the Install Tool. I ended up deleting Palm Desktop, and reinstalling fresh again using the Vista Palm Desktop app, and then did a new hotsynch. Everything transferred over correctly this time. The first time with problems, I installed the Vista app over the existing old version of Palm Desktop which gave problems. Even the Install Tool seems to work again, or at least I don't get that pesky Windows error message anymore. I don't particularly like the new color scheme, or layout of the new Palm Desktop Access version, but's that's a different gripe.
    Casey