Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Eh it doesn't get respect, but it gets sales. That's the important part lol. Everybody I see has a Centro. Business owners, parents, casual users, teens, etc. It's very interesting to see the people that have one.
    Nokia American Idol Phone< Motorola RAZR<Nokia Flip Phone<Sidekick Slide<Palm Centro<HTC Snap

Currently Enjoying: Palm Pixi
    Fascinating then, that Palm would plan to kill it. Is it the best seller of all time for them? I wonder...does anyone know? And if it's even in the top 3, why would you dump that unless it isn't profitable for Palm? Hard to imagine that they'll get much over 50% jump rate to the Pre initially, maybe far less...seems logical to keep both until it dies of popularity. But that's just normal people thinking outside of some committee meeting where the real decisions get made by the lowest common denominator. At least that's how it works in most orgs.
    First smart phone I had was the Treo 650, then I went to the 700w. After waiting around for Palm to come up with SOMETHING I jumped ship and got a HTC Touch which has no physical keyboard. After 9 months I got frustrated and came home to the Centro.

Centro is rock solid, has a great keyboard, and has an excellent calendar which is very important to me. I am amazed that I simply do not have to soft-reset. I only soft reset about 3 times a month, and then only out of habit.

The Centro will satisfy me until I can get a Pre on Verizon.
    I cant find it but read recently that Palm loses money on the Centro. They actually lose money on every centro sale. Here an article about that . this one says they barley make anything but I also read they lose money on every sale.

http://news.cnet.com/one-more-thing/?keyword=Centro

Palm's main problem, which also happens to be its biggest strength, is the Centro. Sales of the $99 smartphone have taken off, allowing Palm during the quarter to sell the highest number of smartphones directly to customers--968,000 units--in its history. Around 70 percent of Centro buyers are first-time smartphone owners, said CEO Ed Colligan on a conference call following Palm's results.

But Palm doesn't appear to make very much money on the sale of each Centro; Colligan danced around a question from a financial analyst regarding whether Palm makes any money from a Centro sale. He said the margins on the Centro are exceeding Palm's expectations, but that doesn't exactly answer the question of whether the Centro is a profitable device.
    Last edited by VaccPalm; 03/30/2009 at 07:10 AM.
    it's your steady eddy. A great simple smart phone. It represents everything that was great about thePlam OS. simple to use, to the point, clean functioning.

Of course, it's yesterday's Smartphone. Great for 1st time smartphone owners but not something Palm can build the future on. I enjooy my Centro, and recently picked up one for my Fiance. But i will dump it in 1 hot second for the pre
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
  6.    #26  
    Just think maybe if it wasnt for the Centro, Palm wouldnt be in this position to launch the Pre! Even if they didnt make alot of money on it, it still was a hit for them and people still knew Palm was making phones.
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    I believe that was their strategy. The Centro became a loss leader for the future PRE. Palm is putting all its apples into the future PRE and the Centro was a step, though solid and great, into the future.

I am still planning on getting a Pre when it comes to Verizon, but it will have to have the great PalmOS apps by then before I put my money down. The Centro is the best SmartPhone for serious business.
    Last edited by DRKayak; 03/30/2009 at 11:19 AM.
    Global Posts
    178 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cckgz4 View Post
    ... Everybody I see has a Centro. Business owners, parents, casual users, teens, etc. It's very interesting to see the people that have one.
    Agreed, it is interesting to see the owners. And sort of private fun to watch what they do with it.

Especially when traveling. On some recent flights, I see both business and leisure passengers using one.

The people traveling for work are especially interesting to watch. I can tell it's become mainstream seeing the biz people who use it in a simple way, *no* fancy, standout bluetooth earpieces, just a plastic or gel case. Women like the colors,and men go for the black models.
  9.    #29  
    "Women like the colors,and men go for the black models."

Got no choice on VZW, its only blue. I'm lucky because I like that color, but i'll like the Pre's glossy black on Sprint soon.
    You know, Palm can say they are just breaking even or loosing on every Centro, but what other revenue source do they have to make payroll each week?
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
  11.    #31  
    That's a good question. There's no other current phone I would buy now.
    Quote Originally Posted by RickMG View Post
    You know, Palm can say they are just breaking even or loosing on every Centro, but what other revenue source do they have to make payroll each week?
    Elevation Partners

Elevation Partners : : News
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by notmuch View Post
    Elevation Partners

Elevation Partners : : News
    Bono to the rescue.
    Just today I was downloading some really cool skins for ptunes. I found several that I really like.

Then I was showing a coworker a program called PalmVNC, which allows me to control my home computer from my Centro. With a high speed connection, it really rocks. He was quite impressed. I work at a NASA center, so lots of the folk I work with are pretty geeky and not easily impressed. He was.

Then, while out on the 1st fairway playing golf, I was listening to ptunes through my earbuds. Then all of a sudden, the sound cuts out. I'm thinking "What the...", but then I hear the phone ringing. So I talk to my daughter, who wants to know what plans we have Friday and Saturday. I pop over to the calendar, while still on the phone, and tell her our plans. She thanks me and then hangs up. Immediately ptunes picks up right where it left off and I'm back listening to music.

I know that these features are well known, but the Centro is one sweet device that just works.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Yeah I love that as soon as you end a call, the music player picks back up.

Also, this phone grabs attention of quite a few of my classmates. They ask: "Why don't you bring a notebook to class?" I show them WordToGo and they act like it's the second coming lol!!!!
    Nokia American Idol Phone< Motorola RAZR<Nokia Flip Phone<Sidekick Slide<Palm Centro<HTC Snap

Currently Enjoying: Palm Pixi
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    I still reserve the right to complain about not having the voicedialing work over the BT connection as well as not supporting mass storage mode for the SD card but sending pics to my iMac via bluetooth is sweet and easy. Thank you vzw for not disabling BT file exchange and thank you Palm for ease of use.
    I have a Centro and I like it better than my old Treo 650 (700 or 755).
    Global Posts
    488 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
    Then, while out on the 1st fairway playing golf, I was listening to ptunes through my earbuds.

Tony, Tony, Tony...how could you ruin a good round of golf with tunes?
    Same for me. I've had almost every Palm platform since the Qualcomms and loved my Kyocera 7135, and then suffered thru a batch of unstable Treo's and upgraded to a Centro last week after busting the screen on my 700p. I wish I'd gotten a Centro earlier. I'm VERY happy.

I don't customize mine much, I really just want tunes, a good calendar, a good contacts database, speakerphone and a keyboard to text with. Centro does it with aplomb.
    Kelly
    Long String of Palm Phones. Qualcomm, Kyocera, Treo and now a Pré.
    Global Posts
    594 Global Posts
    Just got a Centro a few days ago, and joined this forum. This is my first smart phone and it is fantastic. I didn't know that there were so many apps available.
    The best part though is even with it's small size I can operate the keyboard with my fat thumbs.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast