1.    #1  
    Most people already know, but I thought I'd mention that Pimlico software has released the non-beta 4.0VE release of Datebk4. For details and download information, go here.

Besides being the best Palm app on my Visor (Backup Buddy is the best Palm app off my Visor), there are some nice modest improvements to the new release. However, for anyone with a hi-res Palm device (Clies or Handeras), there are some significant features. Datebk4 is one of the first applications to take advantage of hi-res to put more information on the screen in a useful manner.

Anyway, FYI...
    Jeff Meyer

"And he died like he lived: with his mouth wide open."
    DB4 has been on again, off again. Sometimes I love it, other times I just want plain old db+.

But now that I have color, I will keep it. I can categorize appts & todos to classes, and have them automatically colored. Plus, I finally figured out how to ditch those button options...

Yep, db4 is back.
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by dietrichbohn
    But now that I have color, I will keep it. I can categorize appts & todos to classes, and have them automatically colored. Plus, I finally figured out how to ditch those button options...

Yep, db4 is back.
    I do warn folks interested in Datebk4 (as opposed to Datebk+ or Datebk3) of one thing: you need to READ THE MANUAL to really use it.

I needed the manual to figure out what features I wanted to use, and how to configure Datebk4 to make it work the way I wanted it to. Configurability to this degree comes at a price, though -- ya gotta dig into it a little.

Well worth the effort, though; I've been using Datebk4 for over a year, and it is the all-purpose information portal for my tired, beleaguered brain.
    Jeff Meyer

"And he died like he lived: with his mouth wide open."
    You have to admit, though, that db4 breaks the zen of palm in all kinds of ways. Maybe we need a metaconfiger, to get rid of all of those unused extra options...

...and for all those options, they can't seem to get the dang icon files out of my memo area, or to integrate an icon editor.

I guess that I have an intuitive problem with the overall design. A centralized, tabbed preferences area (a la HandyShopper2) would help A LOT.
    Plus, I finally figured out how to ditch those button options...
    I'm fairly new to DB4, so maybe this is obvious, but what "button options?"

Jeff
    When you are in DB4, pressing one of the buttons splits your screen and displays an abbreviated version of the normal app screen. For example, pressing the Address Book button splits the DB4 calendar screen and displays the phone list in the upper half in a miniature font, one line per address book entry. Some people like it, others don't.
    Originally posted by reeseman
    When you are in DB4, pressing one of the buttons splits your screen and displays an abbreviated version of the normal app screen. For example, pressing the Address Book button splits the DB4 calendar screen and displays the phone list in the upper half in a miniature font, one line per address book entry. Some people like it, others don't.
    Ah, those button options...thanks for the clarification.

Jeff
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    so HOW do you delete those button options?
    Originally posted by heed
    so HOW do you delete those button options?
    See, that's my problem. The preferences for every little thing are strewn across the vast menu system. I suppose this is good for many, as it it fairly intuitive to change the preferences in the same spot where you access the option. I prefer having it all in one place, preferably a place I can hide easily.

Anyway, tap the little note-looking icon by the date in the upper left hand corner. The split screen will pop up. Tap that same icon again and a menu will drop down. Tap "preferences," and you'll get the preferences screen for the split screen stuff. You can deactivate the ToDo, Memo, and/or Address book.

Have fun. Despite my complaining, I love DB4 with a passion now that I have color. I have only been able to stand Action Names for about two days, but I keep coming back to DB4...that's why I registered it!
    Global Posts
    191 Global Posts

See, that's my problem. The preferences for every little thing are strewn across the vast menu system. I suppose this is good for many, as it it fairly intuitive to change the preferences in the same spot where you access the option. I prefer having it all in one place, preferably a place I can hide easily.

Have fun. Despite my complaining, I love DB4 with a passion now that I have color. I have only been able to stand Action Names for about two days, but I keep coming back to DB4...that's why I registered it!
    Gee, with Datebook on my Visor, and Datebk Plus, and now add Datebk4, exactly HOW much memory would I be using, just for the datebook application??? (My guess, well over a meg)

Wish he'd come out with a version which would just add the missing features from Datebk4 to any Visors!!!
    Since Datebook and Datebook+ are located in ROM, They actually don't take up any memory. Datebook 4 uses a little over 400K (456K) I think. But compared with Action Names (308)it doesn't seem that big. That's 148K difference. With 8MB + on most devices, to me DB4 is worth the extra space.
    "We are the people are parents warned us about."

<b>Clark Fralick</b>