Global Posts
    238 Global Posts
    Hi All,

My wife's Palm Centro died on the same day our computer crashed, so we dont have a backup of her contacts and calendar.

I use Google Calendar and GMail for my contacts and have had a very easy time getting them on to my Treo Pro through Active Sync and Google. However, there doesn't seem to be an easy way to sync up the Google Contacts and Calendar with the Centro.

Can anyone share their recent best practices and tips? I see GooSync, but it costs money to sync out more than a month.

Thanks in advance!
    Do a search for a program called NVBackup. It is the best!
    Global Posts
    238 Global Posts
    So will NV Backup allow us to import Google Calendar and Google Contacts? It appears to just be a backup program?
    Yep, you will not lose your data if you have a backup.
    While Tonylmiller is no doubt trying to be helpful, and is recommended a good product, I don't believe it will help with what you are looking for. If you had used NVBackup BEFORE you had the problem, the backup could have been used to restore everything to the Centro. Not having a backup from before, NVBackup can not help you recover.

It will, of course, help if you were to have a problem again, but won't help recover from your last problem.
    Yeah, he asked for best practices and tips. That was the best I could do. I always try to learn from problems and painful experiences. Fortunately I have never lost data on my Treo/Centro because of one program: NVBackup.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    I believe the OP is more interested in learning about ways to sync Google Contacts and Calendar with the Centro (i.e. Garnet OS) at this point.
    Goosync is probably the best way to sync your Google Calendar.

The free version lets you sync only one google Calendar (no contacts or tasks).

The paid version lets you sync multiple calendars (which will be sorted by category on your palm -- very cool) and contacts. The contact syncing is a little flakey, since it will sync ALL your contacts, including the ones that are used for "suggestion" email addresses.
    Global Posts
    238 Global Posts
    And I appreciate the tips. My biggest concern is getting my Google Calendar and Google Contacts onto the Centro. It is quick and simple to do so on the Palm Pro, but not so easy on the Centro!
    I think you maybe out of luck unless you use goosync. The Centro flavor of ActiveSync seems to require email to be synced in order for the contacts and calendar to sync. And at this time Google is only syncing cal and contacts, no email. So when the proper credentials are entered, it just will not work because Google does not have email to sync.

There is rumor they are working on including email as well, I figure once that happens the Centro will sync the calendar and contacts fine. But don't hold your breath! Make sure you frequently Hotsync and use NVBackup.
    Hear more talk about my Centro and other industry news, go to thecellphonejunkie.com for a great weekly cell & smartphone podcast.
    Global Posts
    238 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by strobeyprobey View Post
    I think you maybe out of luck unless you use goosync. The Centro flavor of ActiveSync seems to require email to be synced in order for the contacts and calendar to sync. And at this time Google is only syncing cal and contacts, no email. So when the proper credentials are entered, it just will not work because Google does not have email to sync.

There is rumor they are working on including email as well, I figure once that happens the Centro will sync the calendar and contacts fine. But don't hold your breath! Make sure you frequently Hotsync and use NVBackup.
    Maybe with the Palm Pre coming, they will release a Google Sync that will work with PalmOS and the new OS.
    GooSync for calendar
    SyncML for contacts

both free, easy and solid
    Where do you find SyncML. I did a search and didn't find anything free. There were a couple with 30 day evaluations. I have long wanted to sync my phone and email contacts.

Scott
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    Using a Centro with free ActiveSync at http://www.TheMessageCenter.com