Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Global Posts
    780 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by superstatz View Post
    "blazerboy" over pdaphonehome pointed me to your post. You can still use your favorite Palm OS datebook (and other apps) on the Pre going forward, but you have to shell out $30 for MotionApps Classic -- I think it's worth it.

there's no direct sync, but there is a workaround backup process, facilitated by a way to get data out of the Classic app using RFbackup, a free Palm OS app that also runs in Classic in emulation mode. you then connect your Pre to any computer via USB and copy the backup file generated by RFbackup.

i'm using Datebook thru Classic on my Pre as my calendar app. I can backup the data whenever I want, although it's a little bit of a hassle, so i plan to do weekly backups.

so i wouldn't feel too dismayed. let me know if you need help with the data migration.
    superstatz...thanks for the info about Classic. I was trying to make the transition to webOS and cut the cord to the old Palm but that is not working too well.

A few questions about Classic:

- Have you found Classic to be stable?
    - Do most Palm apps run as is...I see there is a special version of Datebk for Classic
    - Am I correct that nothing in Classic will be backed up to the Palm Profile?
    - How do you export the data from Classic to use in a webOS app eventually?

Thanks for the help!

Edit: I installed Classic today and got Datebk6 running. I need to try to get my DB6 prefs file, if possible, installed so I don't have to recreate all the views, etc. It runs so much faster than the native Pre PIM apps.

I assume the way to get this over to Pimlical is to copy the 4 PIM db files to the virtual drive and then get them back to my 755p. I can then sync with Palm Desktop as Pimlical uses the Palm Desktop databases. Not exactly a simple process to do on a regular basis.
    Last edited by eharty; 07/07/2009 at 04:13 PM.
  2.    #82  
    "Classic" was the other thing I wanted to mention when I posted.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eharty View Post
    superstatz...thanks for the info about Classic. I was trying to make the transition to webOS and cut the cord to the old Palm but that is not working too well.

A few questions about Classic:

- Do most Palm apps run as is...I see there is a special version of Datebk for Classic

Thanks for the help!

Edit: I installed Classic today and got Datebk6 running. I need to try to get my DB6 prefs file, if possible, installed so I don't have to recreate all the views, etc. It runs so much faster than the native Pre PIM apps.

I assume the way to get this over to Pimlical is to copy the 4 PIM db files to the virtual drive and then get them back to my 755p. I can then sync with Palm Desktop as Pimlical uses the Palm Desktop databases. Not exactly a simple process to do on a regular basis.
    Sorry for the long delay in response. I'm getting slammed at work! Anyways here are my answers to your questions...

Yes, but I've only really used FileZ, BigClock, RFBackup, and built-in Datebook. I've blue-screened a couple times (within Classic, not the Pre itself), but all I did was swipe it away then relaunched and things were fine.

Again, I have limited experience, but built-in Datebook runs just fine. Takes a little getting used to, because the Pre's screen isn't meant to be tapped in the old Palm sense of a stylus, but you get used to it. It works.

However, for obvious reasons, options here or there won't work, such as "Beam" or... well, I can't think of any other ones right now. Again, I've decided to only use Datebook via Classic -- there's nothing that fancy about Datebook.

Yeah, I remember seeing something on the MotionApps site about Datebk, but I'm not well-versed in it. Off the top of my head, I believe Datebk is supposed to be Classic "certified", i.e., guaranteed to work.

I'm not quite willing to test it, but the Palm Profile is supposed to backup all Palm Profile data (of course) as well as apps that you have downloaded. That might suggest that Classic and perhaps the latest and greatest data associated with Classic (i.e., your data entered within Classic) could be backed up.

Now, if the above doesn't happen, then yeah, whatever you input in some old Palm app from within Classic will not be backed up unless you manually back it up, such as with RFBackup (as I've explained in another post).

You kinda have to think of Classic as simply an emulator. So any data I have in Classic can be extracted as old Palm OS data. Now, old Palm OS data doesn't readily translate to new Palm Pre data.

As far as I know, the one-time transfer of Palm Desktop to Pre is the only mechanism by which webOS can "talk" to Palm OS.

- Datebk6

Well, again I'm not well-versed on Datebk6, but my understanding is that if you have good 'ol .PRC file for Datebk6, simply "install" it onto Classic by dragging and dropping that and any of its associated .PDB files into the ClassicApps/Install directory (after connecting the Pre to your computer as a USB drive), and voila, you have Datebk6 running in Classic.

The Datebk6 data will "live" inside Classic. You can use RFBackup to get the data out of Classic onto your computer as a backup, but remember, that data is in Palm OS (not Palm Desktop!) format.

You would need another mechanism to convert the Palm OS data to Palm Desktop format. One method would be to copy .PDB files onto an SD card connected to your computer, then put that SD card into an old Palm device, then Hotsync with your Palm Desktop.

I may seem kind of a pain, but I honestly feel it's worth given the awesomeness of the Pre (well, except for PIM apps, but we knew that already).

So basically, after I use my Datebook in Classic, I use RFBackup, then connect my Pre to my computer, copy the Datebook's .PDB file onto my computer, and I feel safe that I have a backup of whatever I was doing in Datebook-in-Classic. Done!

Again, MotionApps already knows people are clamoring for Hotsync ability with Classic, so I'd really be surprised if they didn't come up with a more nifty or convenient way to backup/sync data from Classic.

Hope this helps.
    Nope, not torn. I had high hopes for the Pre, but after seeing what it really offers, it's no replacement for a Treo. Someday, probably, but not yet. Multitasking doesn't matter if there are no decent apps to switch between. The PIM apps are weak, the OS and hardware still have too many bugs. There are too many things my Treo + 3rd party software does that the Pre can't. So no, I'm not torn at all. I'm happy to have the more functional phone. A year from now, I may feel differently, but not now.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Global Posts
    780 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by superstatz View Post
    Sorry for the long delay in response. I'm getting slammed at work! Anyways here are my answers to your questions...

Yes, but I've only really used FileZ, BigClock, RFBackup, and built-in Datebook. I've blue-screened a couple times (within Classic, not the Pre itself), but all I did was swipe it away then relaunched and things were fine.

Again, I have limited experience, but built-in Datebook runs just fine. Takes a little getting used to, because the Pre's screen isn't meant to be tapped in the old Palm sense of a stylus, but you get used to it. It works.

However, for obvious reasons, options here or there won't work, such as "Beam" or... well, I can't think of any other ones right now. Again, I've decided to only use Datebook via Classic -- there's nothing that fancy about Datebook.

Yeah, I remember seeing something on the MotionApps site about Datebk, but I'm not well-versed in it. Off the top of my head, I believe Datebk is supposed to be Classic "certified", i.e., guaranteed to work.

I'm not quite willing to test it, but the Palm Profile is supposed to backup all Palm Profile data (of course) as well as apps that you have downloaded. That might suggest that Classic and perhaps the latest and greatest data associated with Classic (i.e., your data entered within Classic) could be backed up.

Now, if the above doesn't happen, then yeah, whatever you input in some old Palm app from within Classic will not be backed up unless you manually back it up, such as with RFBackup (as I've explained in another post).

You kinda have to think of Classic as simply an emulator. So any data I have in Classic can be extracted as old Palm OS data. Now, old Palm OS data doesn't readily translate to new Palm Pre data.

As far as I know, the one-time transfer of Palm Desktop to Pre is the only mechanism by which webOS can "talk" to Palm OS.

- Datebk6

Well, again I'm not well-versed on Datebk6, but my understanding is that if you have good 'ol .PRC file for Datebk6, simply "install" it onto Classic by dragging and dropping that and any of its associated .PDB files into the ClassicApps/Install directory (after connecting the Pre to your computer as a USB drive), and voila, you have Datebk6 running in Classic.

The Datebk6 data will "live" inside Classic. You can use RFBackup to get the data out of Classic onto your computer as a backup, but remember, that data is in Palm OS (not Palm Desktop!) format.

You would need another mechanism to convert the Palm OS data to Palm Desktop format. One method would be to copy .PDB files onto an SD card connected to your computer, then put that SD card into an old Palm device, then Hotsync with your Palm Desktop.

I may seem kind of a pain, but I honestly feel it's worth given the awesomeness of the Pre (well, except for PIM apps, but we knew that already).

So basically, after I use my Datebook in Classic, I use RFBackup, then connect my Pre to my computer, copy the Datebook's .PDB file onto my computer, and I feel safe that I have a backup of whatever I was doing in Datebook-in-Classic. Done!

Again, MotionApps already knows people are clamoring for Hotsync ability with Classic, so I'd really be surprised if they didn't come up with a more nifty or convenient way to backup/sync data from Classic.

Hope this helps.
    Thanks for the detailed response. Sorry for the delay in my response as well. Too much work these days it seems and so little time for anything else!

I did try out Classic and Datebk6 for several days and ultimately gave up on it. I know you can zoom in on areas of the screen within Classic but that got on my nerves after a while with Datebk6 trying to hit those little check boxes. The killer for me was that alarms were unreliable. Quite often, the screen would turn on and show the alarm without any sound. And if an alarm went of and I wanted a reminder again in 5 minutes, that never worked at all.

I am now syncing my business calendar with Outlook through PocketMirror and personal calendars through Google. I am using Google tasks which is better than the Pre's built in app but still falls far short of the Treo PIM's. I am down to my last 5 days of the 30 day Pre trial and I am still not sure which way to go. I would just go back to my 755p but it has some crashing issues lately that I have not been able to fix. There is also the new Blackberry Tour but I have never had a Blackberry so I have no Idea how the PIM apps are.

No question that the Pre has the potential to be the best smartphone available but that is a ways off.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345