Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by L.R.Cote View Post
    I'm sticking with my 755p because it doesn't run Windoze!
    Neither does the Pre or the iPhone or the Blackberry or G1.
  2.    #62  
    I'm still holding on to my 755p. I can't seem to give up that 5-way navigation, battery life, or the other things that were sacrificed to the Pre gods.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    I'm still holding on to my 755p. I can't seem to give up that 5-way navigation, battery life, or the other things that were sacrificed to the Pre gods.
    I spent 2 weeks trying to love the Pre but just had my 755p re-activated. The Pre will be boxed and returned to the Sprint store tomorrow.

It is a glamorous and exciting piece of technology and there are features I will miss. However, the things I rely on my Treo most -- recurring events/tasks, Datebk, hidden memos, and more control over contacts -- were not supported on the Pre. I expect the Pre's updates will eventually catch up to my needs, as other early adopters had the same complaints in the PreCentral forum.

This experience with the Pre definitely made me appreciate my 755p more and I am not going to be in such a hurry to replace it again.

Robyn
    Palm Pilot -->Handspring Visor -->Handspring Visor Edge-->Treo 300-->Treo 650-->Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->Treo 755p
    Quote Originally Posted by RobynG View Post
    I spent 2 weeks trying to love the Pre but just had my 755p re-activated. The Pre will be boxed and returned to the Sprint store tomorrow.

It is a glamorous and exciting piece of technology and there are features I will miss. However, the things I rely on my Treo most -- recurring events/tasks, Datebk, hidden memos, and more control over contacts -- were not supported on the Pre. I expect the Pre's updates will eventually catch up to my needs, as other early adopters had the same complaints in the PreCentral forum.

This experience with the Pre definitely made me appreciate my 755p more and I am not going to be in such a hurry to replace it again.

Robyn

I'm currently using both my old 755p plus the new Pre, both on separate phone lines. Yes, you're absolutely right that the Pre is sorely deficient in basic items like calendar, contacts, etc. I still need my 755p for functions I use daily that the Pre doesn't have.

However, I find the internet browser and multi-tasking ability of the Pre to be supreme compared to any Treo models. I've come to the point now that I hate the dinosaur browser on my Treo 755p, whereas the Pre really shines for internet capability. For example, for the first time ever, I'm actually able to log onto my Citibank account and do online banking through my Pre's web browser! I was neeeeever able to do that with the junky browser of the 755p. The Pre web browser is so fantastic that I can't give it up now that I've tasted the fruit of the vine!

At some point in the future, I'm (hoping) to consolidate my Sprint service back down to only 1 phone line, which means to have my Pre as the only primary activated line, and my 755p as a de-activated device, but to still have with me for the foreseeable future. I'm hoping there will be more apps available for the Pre soon so I can retire my 755p.
    Last edited by Casey Cheung; 06/22/2009 at 10:56 AM.
    Casey
    Sprint 755p, 700p, 650 - I am not a geek! Really!
  5.    #65  
    If the 755p had wifi access, I think .ore of us would feel comfortable taking the Pre plunge. I think I would, anyway, because I could use my 755p as a pda while getting used to the Pre (and waiting for Palm's updates).
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    Like RobynG, I spent two weeks getting acquainted with my new Palm Pre. Last night it went back to Sprint and I had my trusty, tried and true 755p reactivated. It felt like I was back with an old friend!

The Palm Pre software is very cool and worked well for me. All of my contacts, calendars, etc. are housed in gMail, so it was nice having everything sync up just great automatically. Pandora is primo! I loved listening to music on it. The web browsing experience was wonderful. I never once had to bring out my laptop when browsing the internet in bed.

I did however miss some of my most used features from my Treo. I am an avid Slingbox user and loved getting my cable TV on my phone, anytime, anywhere. It was sorely missed! Also, the lack of bluetooth DUN on the Pre was a sore point for me. While I rarely have had to use it on the Treo, being in an area that is hit frequently by thunderstorms and hurricanes, it has come in handy a few times over the years to keep me connected and working on my laptop in a power outage. There is no way I could justify paying a $50 month charge for a laptop card that would only be used probably a total of one or two hours in a year, so it was nice knowing that I had the phones capabilities as a backup in those situations. I didn't realize how important the DUN and Slingbox issues were to me, until they were no longer available.

But, what eventually caused the return of the phone was the hardware, which gave me great pause. I am not the easiest person on a phone. I throw it in my bag, in my pocket, and sometimes drop it on the floor on accident. My Treo has never come out with a scratch for all the abuse I give it. With the Pre, and reports of cracked screens and loose sliders, I was constantly babying and coddling it to make sure nothing happened. I just don't have the time in my day to day life to worry that much about a phone! It just felt so flimsy when compared to my Treo, or a Blackberry or even an iPhone (although I am not a fan of the glass screen on those, they break too).

Now, the perfect phone, I think, at least for me, would be one running Pre's WebOS software, but housed in a sturdier body, without the sliding keyboard, like a Treo or a Blackberry has. Forget the virtual keyboard like the iPhone, I do appreciate a good QWERTY physical keyboard. When that device comes out, I may just jump ship again, but until then I will stick with my tried and true 755p for now.

I feel so dirty, like I cheated on the poor phone for two weeks...LOL!
    Last edited by nora; 06/23/2009 at 08:29 AM.
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dollface View Post
    Add me to this list; I occasionally see posts of people who dumped their Palms for Blackberrys or iPhone, etc and I get the "new toy" fever. I just love new toys, to learn them and get new apps, etc. But recently while drooling over a new phone, I looked at my 755 sitting there, and realized I still really love it. I have not had a crash in over a year (it was my fault for the crash) and I have push email with ChatterEmail and I realized that I would have to give up one of my most cherished programs - Slingplayer Mobile. NO CAN DO I must have 60 programs on this thing and I use them all. I will stick with my 755 until it dies a pitiful death and then see what is out there.
    Saw your post after I put mine up (above). Yes, the lack of Slingplayer was a big sore point for me! It was very difficult to not have access to it on the go for the last two weeks. There are time during the day when I have a break and just like to put the news on. Well Sprint's live TV offerings, which I was paying an extra 9.99/month for, where TERRIBLE! I will never switch to another device again that does not support Sling. If Palm comes out with an updated device (i.e. more sturdy) running WebOS and Sling hasn't yet developed for it, I will wait.

Also use ChatterMail or push email and it is great. No difference in email for me between the Treo and the Pre. Like them both equally well.

Did like the calendar and contacts better on the Pre, simply because I don't sync my Treo. All of my stuff is housed in the "cloud," but I have workaround shortcuts for that set up on my Treo, which I am back to using. Not as slick as the Pre, but it works. I will be re-upping my goo sync account as well, since I think I am sticking with this phone for a while.
    I'm pretty happy with my 755. At the moment, I still think it's the best combination of ease-of-use, power, and features available.

The Pre has an awesome OS, and when they get the bugs out of it, and add a whole bunch of missing features (things that are built-on on the Treo, but missing on the Pre) it'll be a worthy phone.

But a smartphone is about more than the OS. Windows (or OS-X, if you prefer) wouldn't be worth much on the desktop without all the applications it supports. And the same is true of a smartphone. The Pre is, right now, sadly lacking in that regard. The PIM apps are, to be charitable, weak. I'd call them childish in their lack of capability. The 3rd party apps are virtually non-existant, and little more than beta versions.

In time, hopefully, the apps on the Pre will catch up but, IMHO, the Pre is not yet ready for prime time.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  9.    #69  
    I can't lie. That latest WebOS update really got my hopes up. A number of people are reporting much better performance from the Pre. Better battery life and no overheating are powerful motivators.

I was already leaning toward carrying my 755p around as I get used to the Pre (assuming I get a Pre). If nothing else, I could still get my game console emulation on, using the 755p. I sooo wish Palm had included wifi in it, though, because then it'd be sooo much more useful as a side pda.

Too bad the people who made that "sled" for the 650 never made one for my beloved 755p.

Besides, my girlfriend needs a slider. We've come to that conclusion. Her keys MUST be protected from the gremlins in her purse! So, the Pre sounds like it's gonna happen one way or the other.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    I'm pretty happy with my 755. At the moment, I still think it's the best combination of ease-of-use, power, and features available.

The Pre has an awesome OS, and when they get the bugs out of it, and add a whole bunch of missing features (things that are built-on on the Treo, but missing on the Pre) it'll be a worthy phone.

But a smartphone is about more than the OS. Windows (or OS-X, if you prefer) wouldn't be worth much on the desktop without all the applications it supports. And the same is true of a smartphone. The Pre is, right now, sadly lacking in that regard. The PIM apps are, to be charitable, weak. I'd call them childish in their lack of capability. The 3rd party apps are virtually non-existant, and little more than beta versions.

In time, hopefully, the apps on the Pre will catch up but, IMHO, the Pre is not yet ready for prime time.
    My guess is that developers will not be flooding to write apps for the Pre, with Palm's flaky reputation. Tealpoint wrote software for the Foleo, all for naught.

Adam
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Neither does the Pre or the iPhone or the Blackberry or G1.
    Besides, Windoze is still going strong, while the Palm OS is dying a slow death.

Adam
    I find it hard to believe that none of you guys mentioned the Palm desktop and PIM functionality. I have 3K plus contacts use the desktop to dial business calls and love the phone's calendar and phone book display. As I understand it all this would be lost with the Pre. I also sync 4 computers using the 755p. Having used the I500 for many years then the 755p I see no real advantage to the Pre other than looking COOL.
    I posted this on PalmAddicts site and it is especially relevant to this discussion.

PalmAddicts: Glad I Know About the New Handsets – I like My Old Ones Even Better Now

It also explains why I'm not rushing out to buy a new handset, and remain mostly satisfied with my 755p (and even on occasion my T|X).

Harold
    Mobile lawyering since 1988: Seiko --> Sharp Wizard --> Sharp Zaurus --> Palm III --> IIIx --> Vx --> m515 --> T|2 --> T|3 --> T|X --> Treo 755p --> HTC Droid Incredible
  14.    #74  
    Quote Originally Posted by blazorboy View Post
    I find it hard to believe that none of you guys mentioned the Palm desktop and PIM functionality. I have 3K plus contacts use the desktop to dial business calls and love the phone's calendar and phone book display. As I understand it all this would be lost with the Pre. I also sync 4 computers using the 755p. Having used the I500 for many years then the 755p I see no real advantage to the Pre other than looking COOL.
    I responded to this earlier. Dunno what happened to that post.

How do you use Palm Desktop to make calls?

You could sync 4 Pre's if you wanted to.

Besides categories, I'm not so down on the Pre's PIM vs that on the 755p. Not at this point.
    I realize this is a bit off subject, but since I'm keeping my 755 and you guys/gals seem to be serious users...have you found a BT headset that works? After getting the Jawbone about 1 year ago and having people hang up before the phone/headset communicated I've only used a wired headset.
    I don't want to hijack this thread...just a solid recommendation.
    Thanks,
  16.    #76  
    Quote Originally Posted by slorandy View Post
    I realize this is a bit off subject, but since I'm keeping my 755 and you guys/gals seem to be serious users...have you found a BT headset that works? After getting the Jawbone about 1 year ago and having people hang up before the phone/headset communicated I've only used a wired headset.
    I don't want to hijack this thread...just a solid recommendation.
    Thanks,
    I'm not part of the "search first!' police, but did you use the search function, first? I, personally, have contributed to multiple threads on the topic in recent months, so I'm confident they're out there.

Sadly, I'd recommend the Jawbone - maybe a newer model - so you might not give a fig about my opinion. In any case, good luck to you.
    Global Posts
    780 Global Posts
    I bought a Pre a little over a week ago in the hopes of replacing my 755p. The screen is beautiful and it is nice having a bigger display. webOS has grown on me in spite of it taking more steps to do virtually everything than what I am used to. The browser is very nice is as is WIFI.

My biggest problem are the built in PIM apps. The calendar is tolerable (just) but very slow. I don't know what they were thinking with the Task app...there is no sorting or searching options or recurring tasks. No alarms on tasks either. The Memo app is also bare bones and none of the apps support private entries. It is very hard to adjust to the Pre after using Datebk along with Pimlical!

I'll give it a little more time but I don't think Palm is going to add all this functionality in anytime soon. I suppose that means I will go back to my 755p or give the BB Tour a whirl.
  18.    #78  
    I don't understand this perspective.
    Quote Originally Posted by eharty View Post
    It is very hard to adjust to the Pre after using Datebk along with Pimlical!
    You're comparing third-party software to the Pre's native software. That hardly seems fair.

Quote Originally Posted by eharty View Post
    I'll give it a little more time but I don't think Palm is going to add all this functionality in anytime soon. I suppose that means I will go back to my 755p or give the BB Tour a whirl.
    Your money, your choice, of course, but... Why be an early adopter if you're going to make these kinds of choices and comparisons?
    Global Posts
    780 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    I don't understand this perspective.You're comparing third-party software to the Pre's native software. That hardly seems fair.

Your money, your choice, of course, but... Why be an early adopter if you're going to make these kinds of choices and comparisons?

You are right that is not fair so let me make a change to just give me roughly the PIM functionality that I have in my 755p and I will be ecstatic with the Pre!

I suppose I am feeling frustrated as the Pre's calendar app was freezing up on me in the day view. After speaking with a Palm technician, she suggested that I run Scanpst to try to find corrupted records. I have been using Palm Desktop but I synced the data over to Outlook and ran Scanpst and found no errors. The tech then said that there was really no way to find corrupted records and my best bet was to forget transferring all my old calendar data and just start fresh with the Pre. This is ridiculous that Outlook, Palm Desktop and my 755p have no problem with the data but the Pre does. And, if that is really the case, why doesn't the DTA identify whatever caused the Pre to choke so it can be addressed? So, I can't have my calendar history, no sync of memos and tasks, no today view that displays all my appointments and tasks in one place, no recurring tasks, no task alarms...well you get the idea.

All that being said, I really like the Pre for everything other than calendar, tasks and memos. Contacts work fine and I find the email app pretty nice. The keyboard works great for me and the browser is much better than anything I have used on a smartphone. I just don't want to have to carry my 755p for appointment history and tasks along with the Pre.

I did see today that Chapura has an app coming out soon that will sync with Palm Desktop. Initially it will not include tasks and memos but they say that is coming.

Why be an early adopter? I have been an early adopter with several Palm products in the past and have never been disappointed.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    "blazerboy" over pdaphonehome pointed me to your post. You can still use your favorite Palm OS datebook (and other apps) on the Pre going forward, but you have to shell out $30 for MotionApps Classic -- I think it's worth it.

there's no direct sync, but there is a workaround backup process, facilitated by a way to get data out of the Classic app using RFbackup, a free Palm OS app that also runs in Classic in emulation mode. you then connect your Pre to any computer via USB and copy the backup file generated by RFbackup.

i'm using Datebook thru Classic on my Pre as my calendar app. I can backup the data whenever I want, although it's a little bit of a hassle, so i plan to do weekly backups.

so i wouldn't feel too dismayed. let me know if you need help with the data migration.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast